--- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:55:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  --- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: --- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified)  (Read 2846 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: June 23, 2015, 12:50:10 PM »
« edited: June 23, 2015, 06:53:34 PM by Mi ne scias »

beep... beep... beep...

This is the nationwide Emergency Alert system, activated at the request of the North American Aerospace Defense Command. This is not a test. Repeat: this is not a test. Important details will follow.

An enemy missile attack from Northeast Asia against his country has been detected. Missiles are believed to be aimed at the vicinity of Omaha, Nebraska, Great Falls, Montana, Colorado Springs, Colorado and Fairbanks, Nebraska. The missiles may be armed with nuclear devises.

If you are in targeted areas, seek shelter immediately. If you can't find one, go to the nearest solid basement construction.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 12:58:10 PM »

(As we're not operating in real life time, I'll wait with anything until the President finds out. Theoretically, it'll take between 25 to 40 minutes for the missiles to hit their targets, leaving time fot either retaliation or an attempt to shot them down Tongue )
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 01:35:09 PM »

Atlasia has second strike capacity via its SSBM fleet and these nukes are only hitting our mainland nuclear weapon infrastructure.

Yep. That's why I wait for the President's reaction before going to the next installment.

I say we wait this out let them "land" and see what happens and if the Russkies are really hellbent on destroying us we use submarine nukes to turn their cities into radioactive rubble
[/quote]

Who said it were Russkies?

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 01:38:22 PM »

Who else can launch nukes from "northeast asia" i.e. Siberia?

I was operating under the definition of it including China, Japan and the Koreas.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 02:35:24 PM »

Missile strikes confirmed in near Colorado Springs, Colorado and Fairbanks, Alaska.

Missiles heading for Omaha, Nebraska and Grand Falls intercepted. No information regarding Grand, Falls, Montana.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 02:41:53 PM »

Estimated 13,000 Atlasians dead from the blasts, mostly in the Fairbanks area.

NORAD HQ and the radar warning station in Alaska presumably destroyed or disabled.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 02:44:47 PM »

This is the Emergency Alert System for Kern County, California, area, activated at the request of the state office of civil defense.

The fifth nuclear missile is reportedly heading toward the city of Bakersfield. Residents of the area must take shelter immediately.

It is estimated that the missile will arrive between 15 to 25 minutes.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 02:53:24 PM »

this is their attempt at redeeming themselves, i suppose?

lmao

RIP Hammy.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 02:59:57 PM »

Bakersfield confirmed hit.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 03:45:19 PM »

Estimated 61,000 people in Bakersfield dead from the blast.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 05:18:45 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2015, 05:20:19 PM by Mi ne scias »

If you're going to argue that such scenario is 100% impossible (which I disagree), I respect your opinion. But I'll not agree that creating an unconventional event is ridiciolous. This is just a bloody game with diffrent realities than RL. If you want the same cliche all the way, then sorry, but we won't agree.

The only way I'd resign is if the President and majority of Senators indicate I should.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 05:35:02 PM »

Look, the thing is that I've been trying my best to revive the office of Game Moderator. I won't of course claim that I was free of making mistakes in the process, but I believe that it's my job to provide tough challenges for the administration and plot twists. Beside, Atlasia is currently in such a chaos that maybe some shock like this is warranted.

If you want this to be just a game about casting and getting votes, that's a valid point. In such case abolish the office of GM entirely or appoint someone who would do nothing except presenting a budget once a year.

I'm not going to pull SirDick here. The President has been just reelected and if he wants someone low-ley as GM, I'd honor his wishes and resign.

@ TNF: There were developments that can explain this, but obviously you don't read the news source.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 05:52:22 PM »

Just a few words of explanation: there's been considerable chaos in NK after KJU's death and there were intelligence reports that Russia might be supplying NK with additional nuclear devices. Attack from NK, if it's NK (after disabling Alaska warning station and NORAD facility present informations are sketchy), could very well have been supported or even inspired from outside.

And I'd like to repeat that I'm placing myself at the President's disposal.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 05:58:36 PM »

Look, the thing is that I've been trying my best to revive the office of Game Moderator. I won't of course claim that I was free of making mistakes in the process, but I believe that it's my job to provide tough challenges for the administration and plot twists. Beside, Atlasia is currently in such a chaos that maybe some shock like this is warranted.
Isn't this a little extreme, though? There are plenty of ways to make the game more interesting without starting a nuclear war.

Unfortunately, few things seems to work.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 06:07:55 PM »

Look guys, I don't want to sound like an asshole, but I'm not going to stay up all night and continue to debate this. Obviously this development haven't worked out and I take full responsibility for this. Since it doesn't seem I have confidence required to continue to serve as Game Moderator, I will step down but before that, as my last act, I'm nullyfying this whole thing.

For those who feel I failed at my job, I'm sorry. I've tried by best.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 06:23:08 PM »

Yeah, Cynic did a great job with the position and his performance was met with near-universal acclaim. I'm not sure what a nuclear attack, assassination attempts, or repeated rebellions are supposed to achieve aside from demonstrating how bored you are.

I don't think it's entirely fair, Nix. At least it engaged the administration. Beside, given that Atlasia experienced a civil war before (and now we have a Pacific crisis, which started without any inspiration from the GM), period of unrests is plausible. Plus, I've produced a detailed foreign affairs updates, which hasn't been done for a quite time. That too have an administration reason to engage in something else than domestic policy.

I can accept the fiasco of the nuclear attack event, but I'll defend my previous work.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 07:35:20 AM »

I've always considered myself a part of the cabinet. It's true the President no longer can simply dismiss the GM, but he can't dismiss the VP neither.

In his messages to the cabinet Bore always included me and I've been exchanging messages with either the cabinet as whole or interested members. I think that's a good practice and hope it will be continued under my successor. The only member of the team I wasn't interacting with was Nix and that's only because he was less than interested.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 03:42:05 AM »

This game needs a complete reboot. A new game with a new constitution, no laws, no history- the records wiped clear. It's obvious that after 11 years people have run out of stuff to do.

Xahar has been talking about a reset for some time and I tend to agree.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 06:42:03 AM »

I stand by my comments. The problem with Kal simulating a nuclear attack on Atlasia isn't that it's interesting and weird; it's that events like that (or alien invasions, or whatever twisted magical realism sh!t Sirnick was trying to pull last fall) are so out there that there's not much that anyone can do in response, aside from waiting for the GM's next update. The entire game becomes less accessible, less interactive, and more dependent on a single person.

You see, while I can't speak for other GMs, my goal was precisely to encourage people to respond and engage: that is to provide challenges. I've been always trying to give the people, and especially the administration, a time and opportunity to react.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The GM doesn't have a policymaking powers. I couldn't change anything in political life, that's for the elected officeholders and the other cabinet members, because they have a legitimacy. However providing a simulation is an entirely diffrent matters.

I can't completely agree with your position about certain limitations. A lot of folks can testify to my willingness to listen to suggestion and corrections. But the GM must have certain freedom of action. In real life, the people simply doesn't have control over, let's say, weather. You can't just say "this tornado is ridiculous, let's nullify this". The GM is to provide an events that are beyond anybody else control.

Look, I'm not defending the whole nuke thing. I realize it was poorly executed at best, but I stick with the principle.

If you think the GM position should be abolished, that's a valid point. I'm just opposed to this. Atlasia is never going to be a proper country simulation if the only thing we do is voting and getting votes. If you want something like this, let's just transform into a parliament game.

Last but not least, earlier you've said that you stopped reading GM updates "along with everybody else". Sorry, but that's just plain incorrect. My events has received a lots of feedback, both from the officeholders and citizens. If you don't believe me, check the news thread and officeholders' threads.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies