--- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:59:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  --- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: --- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified)  (Read 2828 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: June 23, 2015, 02:07:09 PM »

As Bacon King has pointed out, with our submarines we can easily launch an attack if this is seriously hostile, so it would be ridiculous to fire back now. I am attempting to either intercept the missiles, or, if they land, see if they are actually hostile. If they are we can cross that bridge then.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 05:41:49 PM »

It's kind of difficult to respond appropriately when you suddenly get nuked for no clear reason.

There's chaos in the Pacific region gaining massive media attention. Wouldn't it be unrealistic for a foreign enemy to not attack in this moment of weakness?

It's suicidal for someone to nuke the world's largest economy and army which also has roaming nukes that can not be hit and can attack you easily, no matter the internal situation. I do get that North Korea acquiring nukes was mentioned earlier but I don't think that changes the calculus.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 06:59:56 AM »

I can say, that, as president I've had some really fun and challenging times thanks to Kalwejt, namely the terrorist uprising, the mark hopper incident and others because there is not a simple response to them, you have to think about what to do and weigh up different choices. It helped that the events were  realistic so people believed them.

That said, there are other types of events that are either realistic but there is only one choice, like a mass shooting which you have to say "my thoughts are with the family, we will overcome this etc" or a terrorist attack where you respond by saying a similar thing and so on. I think a GM story needs to not only be realistic but something that forces you to make a choice.

On the other hand we do need to accept this is a game and involves a willing suspension of disbelief. I'm not a president, no one here is a senator and we can't pass bills that change the world. But we pretend to because that's the game. When something which just doesn't make sense, even in fantasyland, happens, then that suspension is lost, with all that entails.

I get the point that the GM is not respected enough and the only time people jump up is when he resigns or goes over the top. But I'm fond of the God analogy for the GM, we have to have him because he's necessary to say not all things are permitted. But like God, there are still basic laws that constrain him. He can't make a circle a square, for example.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies