--- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:31:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  --- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: --- Emergency Alert System --- Nationwide --- (Event Nullified)  (Read 2845 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: June 23, 2015, 08:50:26 PM »

What's ridiculous is the fact that the public - yet again - thinks it even has the right to challenge the stories presented by the GM. At least I am vindicated in my prediction: when Simfan challenged the Chinese alien storyline, he opened Pandora's box for everyone to get sand in their vaginas every time something they don't like or agree with happens. Get over yourselves.

Yes, Kalwejt has a propensity for destruction and it can be a bit irritating at times - I myself have been sued by Fred Trump and thrown into jail for 48 hours for inciting a riot - but yet here I am, defending him, because I know all too well how this game is filled with nothing but a bunch of ungrateful a**holes who demand activity and stories, and then end up never following them...unless of course they disagree with them, in which case they deny their existence or blame the messenger.

Kal has arguably been the best GM we have had in a long time. Let us remember that your, the public's, judgement on the quality of GMs as of late has a track record that approaches near zero. Sirnick effectively assassinated a sitting Atlasian President, amended the story only because he presumably realized that you cannot kill off a sitting player President - after he had it all planned out days in advance to "make DemPGH's life miserable" - and then how do you all respond when the bastard was fired? "Off with the President's head!", with 90% disapproval of the President's actions, forcing him to resign. Of course, all of that was just part of a greater ongoing narrative at the time, but I digress.

Practically NONE of you have the right to talk shit about Sirnick, because the worst thing he ever did in this game while a citizen and officeholder was the one thing you all tacitly approved of and supported when a duly-elected President tried to rid us of a terrorist after he blew up the White House. It was only months later that most of you jumped on the anti-Sirnick bandwagon when it was cool to do so; you don't have a right to complain about sirnick now, and you don't have a right to complain about Kalwejt's behavior, either. At least, if you don't want to be a bunch of f[inks]ing hypocrites.

The GM only draws legitimacy from the act of the people supporting the concept that he or she has powers in this game that are above and beyond anyone else's say (except of course, the President's, but you all went ahead and watered down the office even more by giving that power to a dysfunctional Senate as I recall). You want mob rule over what the GM does and doesn't do, with the privilege of ignoring the GM most of the time anyway. It doesn't work that way. No GM (and it's evident that it wasn't just me) is going to stick around long with people acting in such a fashion.

So Kalwejt is now being shunned and ignored for his story-lines going too far. Dr. Cynic was ignored when he made a typo (that he decided to stick with anyway) that stated inflation was either 10 or 100 times that of what it should have been. Sirnick was forced to backtrack as well, because he would have been ignored (that was a circumstance where it was obviously justified; he clearly overstepped and the action of killing a player President wasn't capable of being followed by the game). Simfan got bit in the ass by his own set precedent when people ignored his calendar idea and overrode him. I got ignored because I tried to create a story arc that combined perfectly plausible but odd situations (not to mention multiple times where I got pushback on cost estimates). That doesn't even touch the general avoidance of stories and stats in this game issued by GMs in general. This is the world that you, the public, have created.

I tried to set my own precedent, by eliminating the concept that the GM isn't there primarily to provide cost estimates. If you want someone who's just there to give you figures and stats on something that half of you are going to debate the legitimacy of anyway, then take your lazy asses to Google and figure it out there: it'll have just as much of an applicable effect in the end, anyway.

You all killed the office of GM through avoidance arguably years ago, through dissent even more arguably last year, and through multiple statute "reforms" that weakened its influence and reach over the past year, but Kalwejt was perhaps the one person who I believed might be able to salvage what was otherwise a dead concept. Now you all have forced him to resign.

Why don't you all try consistency for once, and keep your mouth shuts and pretend that you didn't even notice like you almost always do? None of you deserve a GM as good as Kalwejt, so if you're going to keep this up, then go ahead, abolish the GM position, and make this the "game's so-called God".
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 02:16:33 AM »

Kal was a good, and active GM-that's what we need in games like this. It's funny because the old point, releasing economic figures is completely ignored by people-I think I was the only person to mention the rioting in a native American city... we can't just expect the GM to be a lifeless turd.

Well Nix has already admitted (whether intentionally or not) that he wants to sabotage the role of GM because he doesn't believe it should exist, so we obviously shouldn't be listening to him on future matters when it comes to the role of GM. Furthermore, I'm not sure what sort of game he wants this to be when there can't be a "glorified interactive timeline"; without a GM doing storylines to simulate repercussions of policy/actions and without the GM issuing any cost estimates for policy - we assume he supports this because it is a policy he continued as GM - then I suppose the game will just consist of what he enjoys to do: affecting policy for the sake of being able to brag that you affected policy until you have the Wiki's longest page!

Also, while I haven't consulted with anyone in the administration on the matter since it unfolded, I can't imagine anyone likes to see a member of the cabinet start a resignation petition against another member of the cabinet.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 07:10:36 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

First of all, no.

Secondly, the GM is an appointed figure by your superior and has historically been considered part of the team, at least up until the point that the President no longer had sole discretion about his ability to continue serving the country. It's close enough to be considered cabinet - and despite the asterisk on the Wiki - our forefathers felt it related enough to be included on the Cabinet page.

Thirdly: The word "petition" can also mean "a request made for something desired, especially a respectful or humble request, as to a superior or to one of those in authority; a supplication or prayer" and/or "something that is sought by request or entreaty". You are referring to "a formally drawn request, often bearing the names of a number of those making the request, that is addressed to a person or group of persons in authority or power, soliciting some favor, right, mercy, or other benefit", which can also be its definition, though not the one I used here.

You petitioned - made a request for something desired, though not respectful or humble at all, to someone who on the matter was your superior and in authority - for the resignation of Kalwejt.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies