Opinion of Nate Silver
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:08:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of Nate Silver
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: Opinion of Nate Silver  (Read 3691 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 08:14:38 PM »

He's obviously smart and good at what he does, but his personal bias (and what he wants out of politics: a rural, dumb, poor GOP vs. a cosmopolitan, educated Democratic Party ... which we all know is painfully simplistic) drips from his writing.  Unfortunately, he's smart enough to "back it up" and not be obvious, but it's annoying.

I think he's gotten a lot less overtly partisan over the years.  If you think he's like that now, take a look at what he was like before he worked for either ESPN or NYTimes, way back when FiveThirtyEight was its own website.  

Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 08:59:30 PM »

He's obviously smart and good at what he does, but his personal bias (and what he wants out of politics: a rural, dumb, poor GOP vs. a cosmopolitan, educated Democratic Party ... which we all know is painfully simplistic) drips from his writing.  Unfortunately, he's smart enough to "back it up" and not be obvious, but it's annoying.

I think he's gotten a lot less overtly partisan over the years.  If you think he's like that now, take a look at what he was like before he worked for either ESPN or NYTimes, way back when FiveThirtyEight was its own website.  

Link me to one. I'd like to see the comparison
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 09:58:16 PM »

As far as I know, Nate Silver is a moderate independent, he's not a Democrat. He doesn't seem to have very strong political leanings anyways.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 09:51:58 PM »

538 has suffered a definite dive in quality since leaving the NYT for ESPN.

I've noticed it too. They don't put in as much effort in their election stuff as they did in 2012 and Silver did in 2008. I hope to see its quality increase over the next year and a half.

I'd still lean FF. He did really well in 2012.
Nichlemn

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2015, 06:00:04 AM »

FF. The hate he gets from some here is pretty funny, it seems like some people have a grudge against him making a prediction against their favoured candidate once (most notably, recently claiming that Clinton isn't a clear favourite in the 2016 general election).

I don't know if his predictions are well-calibrated. But no-one can really know that, there hasn't yet been a large enough a sample size - but his results to date are pretty good.

It's his analysis and the underlying logic for his predictions are where he shines IMO. There's an awful lot of really terrible prediction out there (including in these forums) which Nate thoroughly debunks. Super cherry-picked, small sample sizes, or even completely baseless assertions. If only everyone in our prediction forums were required to read a selection of Silver posts and/or chapters from his book, it might help a lot.   

And most of his critics don't have any actual substantive criticisms about methodological flaws, they're  usually just thinly veiled whining like "Nate said X would happen with 67% probability, and it didn't! He obviously sucks!" 
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2015, 07:37:47 AM »

538 has suffered a definite dive in quality since leaving the NYT for ESPN.

Yeah. Nate Silver seems pretty intelligent and his analyses are usually pretty good, but the majority of FiveThirtyEight's content has become clickbait-with-numbers.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies