Have we talked about how this sudden removal of Confederate stuff is a ruse?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:48:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Have we talked about how this sudden removal of Confederate stuff is a ruse?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Have we talked about how this sudden removal of Confederate stuff is a ruse?  (Read 3988 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 08:40:32 PM »

Is it wrong that Elon Musk and Oprah make more than the US median income?  Is it wrong that a surgeon who trained for 12 years post-high school makes more than the US median income?  The part of income inequality that is "wrong" is actually mostly about racism.  That and geographic isolation without owning the local natural resources (WV, NM, etc.).
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 08:56:59 PM »

It is, of course, a relatively minor point that has gotten disproportional attention. But, given that nothing else can or will be done, it is better than nothing.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 10:05:45 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2015, 10:19:43 PM by Mechaman »

Like many trendy social topics, yes:

Isn't it funny how outrage over a Governor defending a flag is stronger on here than say the increased economic inequality that has happened under Southern Governors like Nikki Haley?  Oh yeah, I will acknowledge that does get covered eventually, but those discussions for some reason don't seem to drum up the same level of universal outrage and discussion as arcane debates like whether or not it is appropriate to have a flag of a nation that has been dead for a hundred and fifty years on the front lawn or which party was more pro-civil rights in the 1960s.

Relevant source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqfsLG6Kuz0

And you guys wonder why most people think the US Congress is a flaming bag of dog shit now days?

Economic inequality is not inherently wrong.  A state government fondly memorializing racism/slavery/segregation/white supremacy is inherently wrong.  Apples and oranges.  

Oh yes, that blacks and other non-whites make an incredibly less amount of money often times well below the poverty line and have to rely on a very large amount of government welfare than whites and their daddies are a lot more likely to end up in prison and leave millions of kids fatherless due to the racist implementation of the War on Drugs is not as near as horrible as a Dixie flag hanging from the SC legislature.

You surely do have such a great moral superiority here.  If only I could see that stuff that is actually happening to poor minorities now days does not matter.

For the record, this is not a justification for keeping the confederate flag, just that I find the kind of overwhelming news attention on that subject while the very real and racist nature of income inequality in this country is almost ignored if not whitewashed from the media incredible.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 10:59:06 PM »

Isn't it funny how outrage over a Governor defending a flag is stronger on here than say the increased economic inequality that has happened under Southern Governors like Nikki Haley?  Oh yeah, I will acknowledge that does get covered eventually, but those discussions for some reason don't seem to drum up the same level of universal outrage and discussion as arcane debates like whether or not it is appropriate to have a flag of a nation that has been dead for a hundred and fifty years on the front lawn or which party was more pro-civil rights in the 1960s.

And you guys wonder why most people think the US Congress is a flaming bag of dog shit now days?

Economic inequality is not inherently wrong.  A state government fondly memorializing racism/slavery/segregation/white supremacy is inherently wrong.  Apples and oranges.  

Oh yes, that blacks and other non-whites make an incredibly less amount of money often times well below the poverty line and have to rely on a very large amount of government welfare than whites and their daddies are a lot more likely to end up in prison and leave millions of kids fatherless due to the racist implementation of the War on Drugs is not as near as horrible as a Dixie flag hanging from the SC legislature.

You surely do have such a great moral superiority here.  If only I could see that stuff that is actually happening to poor minorities now days does not matter.

For the record, this is not a justification for keeping the confederate flag, just that I find the kind of overwhelming news attention on that subject while the very real and racist nature of income inequality in this country is almost ignored if not whitewashed from the media incredible.

Did you not see the follow up?  The component of income inequality that is the result of past or present racism exists and is wrong.  Some inequality will always be present in a free society, however.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 11:03:19 PM »

While it's ridiculous that they didn't get rid of them all long ago, it's really a non-issue compared to TPP.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2015, 06:20:53 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2015, 10:50:22 AM by Mechaman »

Did you not see the follow up?  The component of income inequality that is the result of past or present racism exists and is wrong.  Some inequality will always be present in a free society, however.

Yes I did.  However, you seem to laugh off the entire concept and how bad the effects are in the South and you seem to imply that taking down an admittedly bad flag deserves an incredible amount of more attention than the actual starvation, lack of jobs, and poverty that faces Black America.  TO me, actual suffering is worse than the presence of a flag on the law of a state government building.  Now maybe that is just me, actually having been down on my luck once in my life (unlike the vast majority of white people on this forum), but I feel the lot of you don't really understand how horrible that aspect of it is, nor does social media.  I would bet real money there are more posts on here about "muh confederate flag" than there ever are on income inequality, the war on drugs, job discrimination, and the whole host of very real issues facing Black America.

So no, I don't consider taking down the Confederate Flag or whatever you want to call it any sort of real victory for anybody except feel good upper middle-upper class whites who are trying to find an issue to feel good about while ignoring the real issues.

Living in fear of idiot white racists waving Confederate flags from their houses and casually calling them n-words is a concern, but that is largely the result of American society failing to tackle the issues of societal inequality.  Instead they prefer to occasionally drum up media coverage on incidents like this to make it seem like we have progressed greatly when Nixon's New Jim Crow is still a thing.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »

It would be pretty ironic if Republicans defended the Confederate flag, I mean their party literally fought against the interests of the Confederacy.

The parties aren't the same as 150 years ago.

I'm well aware of that.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2015, 02:29:50 PM »

No, I tend to be an optimist, and I'm a Republican.  I'm also not a hyperactive, ideologically extreme and rebellious teenager (NOT saying you are, just makin' a joke), so I shall not desperately seek negativity in this great trend of elected officials (and ones from my party, at that) doing the right thing.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 09:28:27 PM »

No, I tend to be an optimist, and I'm a Republican.  I'm also not a hyperactive, ideologically extreme and rebellious teenager (NOT saying you are, just makin' a joke), so I shall not desperately seek negativity in this great trend of elected officials (and ones from my party, at that) doing the right thing.

Yes.  America in 2015 absolutely still has its problems and it's going to take a lot more than 2 generations for the shadow of 400 years of severe discrimination to fade away, but there is and will continue to be progress.  And as rough as the current economy is, don't forget that 1/3rd of the median US income today buys you a much safer, healthier life than 3X the median income could have in 1915.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2015, 09:56:44 PM »

Update: AL Governor orders flags at Capitol taken down via executive order
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 04:12:40 PM »

Woot! bentley has shown streaks of grown-up, especially by AL standards.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies