How has Atlas Forum destroyed your life? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:55:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How has Atlas Forum destroyed your life? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How has Atlas Forum destroyed your life?  (Read 2068 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: June 26, 2015, 07:31:08 PM »

On the contrary, I'd say it has made me a better person in so many ways.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 07:17:07 AM »

I've been looser in keeping the forum separate from my "real life" than is probably advisable.

EDIT: Okay, so I'll post this anyway, after cutting it down. I've also come to think of the Atlas as a place that I can reliably go to if I ever want to feel like I am stupid. The thing stopping me from seriously questioning how much I really know is probably the fact that I've held my own academically, tangible proof.

Maybe you are really just all smarter than the people I go to school with-- certainly there are many people here, not that much older than I am, whose knowledge, in its breadth and depth, seems to far outstrip that of almost anyone I know-- Xahar, Foucaulf, Al, Gully, the Mikado, Averroes, and Maddy come to mind, to name just a few--not to mention my own. Perhaps it is because I am far more careful as to what political views I choose to share in public than I am here- this is the internet, after all. Then again, if I were to apply such a level of self-censorship on the Atlas, I'd probably be demonised as a "moderate hero" all the same.

So TL;DR, the Atlas has destroyed my life by making me feel stupider than I would otherwise. Also if you think that I actually am stupid feel free to say so because if true I'm probably an insufferable twat in “real life” and don't even know it

I hate to break it to you, but being successful in academia has nothing to do with how intelligent a person is. There are obviously some transferable skills between the Atlas and writing a strong paper or participating positively in seminar, and this place has certainly helped me bolster those skills, but being intelligent here simply does not equal getting good grades.

Attendance marks aside, I've always done extremely well academically. I'm proud of it; I know I can write good papers of limited scope. But I am not in the upper percentile of posters here, and likely never will be. The people you mentioned not only have the skills to perform well in school (good argumentation, strong writing, blah, blah, blah, etc.), but they also have the dedication and interest that a person like me does not have. They read. And I simply get no joy out of reading something like Capital in my spare time. I lose the enrichment that people like TNF gain by diving into a diverse library of scholarship, but... I'm okay being a little simple too.

But you, Mr. Simfan, are not an impostor like me. You're up there with the names you mentioned precisely because you do read and offer a wealth on knowledge on different subjects. Don't sell yourself short. Smiley
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2015, 10:17:49 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Actually, RFayette's post reminded me of something very interesting: This forum has taught me how to respectfully disagree and discuss things without being taken over by emotions. I didn't realize how true this was until I had my first couple fights with my boyfriend. When I disagree with someone, I try to understand their points, respect the fact that they hold these beliefs for good reasons and are not evil people, and work to meet in the middle (or find common ground in our goals or purpose). Admittedly I've lost patience with this tactic on some hot-button issues like LGBT rights (it's not worth being patient with a bigot), but what I outlined above generally characterizes the approach of most people on this forum.

After my first fight with my boyfriend, however, I realized the ground rules were very different. It was an argument about offering students extensions on academic assignments. And we disagreed. He could not accept the fact that there was some truth to be told in both of our positions. It became not about the merits of our points, but about my right to hold the view I held. Basically, I was wrong and lacked decent moral character because our views diverged. I was pissed, of course, because I respected the difference of opinion and didn't judge him harshly for having a different perspective. But thinking about it, I probably would have been just like him had I not had the experience of being on this forum.

And mark my words, the experience is very different for users with red avatars and blue avatars. I don't want to validate our resident troll's hyperbole, but conservatives are a minority here. When I started off with my R-ON avatar, I learned very quickly that I needed to find different ways to engage and compromise if I was going to be respected. That difficult balancing act of respecting the fact that my beliefs were not consensus, constantly rechecking to see if my positions held water, and being open to seeing things differently, did make me a better person. Some people haven't had that experience, and it's a shame.

As for my boyfriend and I, now that we've had a few more fights and he understands how I do things, I think he's sort of started to accept the way I approach conflict and adopted that style for himself, too. He'd never admit it though, but that's okay. Tongue Thankfully, our disagreements now never end in disbelief or disgust at the fact that the other person could possibly believe x or y... we understand that we're both just making different considerations.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies