John Oliver condemns online harassment, the Internet responds predictably
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:32:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  John Oliver condemns online harassment, the Internet responds predictably
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: John Oliver condemns online harassment, the Internet responds predictably  (Read 2237 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 02:20:54 PM »

Bashing "social justice" sounds a whole lot like an endorsement of social injustice. I'm puzzled and a bit saddened that we've gotten to the point where a large segment of society is so twisted that it regards social justice and advocacy for it as a negative.

Just because someone calls an ultra-liberal agenda a pretty name doesn't make those who oppose their ultra-liberal world view evil or supporting injustice.  Is the opposite of pro-life called pro-death?

the name "social justice warrior" was popularised by anti-sjws, you know
I remember when it was Social Justice and it was something Catholics talked about that approximated an internationalist compassionate conservatism.  Then Glenn Beck railed against it around the time "progressive" began to take hold.

And then there was quiet until the IRC began to use it more and more.  Now SJW literally means everything and nothing...but generally it is Passive Aggressive progressive scoff/tsk tsk fauxrage as an ideology.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 12:08:14 AM »

And this thread is amply demonstrating the reason why this segment is so valuable.

SJWs are the bane of man. John Oliver deserves everything he gets.

Using the term SJW as a negative is one of those things, like a Confederate flag signature, that indicates that the person has nothing to say worth listening to.

Comparing a literal symbol of secession and figurative emblem of racism to a internet slang about overzealous bloggers is a massive hyperbole even by Atlas standards.

Bashing "social justice" sounds a whole lot like an endorsement of social injustice. I'm puzzled and a bit saddened that we've gotten to the point where a large segment of society is so twisted that it regards social justice and advocacy for it as a negative.

SJWs have nothing to do with actual social justice. They are a group of misanthropic fiends that attack anyone who doesn't tow the PC line, and invent ridiculous terms like "cis scum" and "ableist".

The ones who are actually "fiendish" are few and far between, most of them don't actually use the term "cis scum" except in irony. Ableist is used more often, but depending on the context, might actually be accurate.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 04:50:13 AM »

And this thread is amply demonstrating the reason why this segment is so valuable.

SJWs are the bane of man. John Oliver deserves everything he gets.

Using the term SJW as a negative is one of those things, like a Confederate flag signature, that indicates that the person has nothing to say worth listening to.

Comparing a literal symbol of secession and figurative emblem of racism to a internet slang about overzealous bloggers is a massive hyperbole even by Atlas standards.

SJWs have nothing to do with actual social justice. They are a group of misanthropic fiends that attack anyone who doesn't tow the PC line, and invent ridiculous terms like "cis scum" and "ableist".

The ones who are actually "fiendish" are few and far between, most of them don't actually use the term "cis scum" except in irony. Ableist is used more often, but depending on the context, might actually be accurate.

Yeah, I don't understand how it's possible to deny in good faith that physical and mental disability are axes of oppression and discrimination.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 11:08:27 PM »

Yeah, I don't understand how it's possible to deny in good faith that physical and mental disability are axes of oppression and discrimination.

I don't think it's that, it's just the term "ableist" has been thrown around by Tumblr types so much that it isn't taken seriously. It's likely The Boy Who Cried Wolf syndrome.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 11:21:59 PM »

Harassment is harassment. But  some want to restrict speech/debate/alternative views. There are always going to be mean people online. It's been that way since the dawning of the internetz....
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2015, 12:22:05 AM »

I remember around the year 2000 there being Yahoo fight chat rooms where the purpose was just to bicker...

Every one was full of southerners and Brits...all railing against Yankees.  It was cute.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies