The Time Has Come
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:28:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Time Has Come
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Time Has Come  (Read 2271 times)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 09:41:52 PM »

In theory, perhaps, but its not going to happen in the present political climate. The immediate problem is reviving the Midwest and the Pacific. If we can accomplish that, even impermanently, with a four-region map, it's better than nothing.

To those shouting "three Regions or bust": would you really rather allow the Pacific and the Midwest to entirely collapse than accept an imperfect solution?

They would. If you look at who's shouting it and what they have to gain, you'll see why they're fighting so hard.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 12:56:12 AM »

It's time. Atlasia is dying. I've never seen it in worse shape.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 01:38:31 AM »

The South is a strong, proud, and ever-vibrant region. No attempt to change our boundaries will be tolerated, or taken lying down. I reiterate: we refuse to be sacrificed on the altar of another region's inactivity.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 01:44:34 AM »

2 regions, 2 votes, public office in one region only.

Its like doubling the money supply in an effort to increase the velocity of money.  It would bring vital votes to underpopulated regions.  It would keep 5 regions intact.  It would allow for people to get a start from less popular regions and then try for the more populated ones.  Etc etc.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 01:47:25 AM »

As much as I would like to see bicameralism come to be, I cannot support any imposition of a nationwide boundary redraw on vibrant regions. If the Midwest and Pacific desire to merger their regional gov'ts under the authority granted them by the Atlasian Senate last year, they are perfectly free to take that step.

However, I would caution that the root of this problem is the lack of political competativeness, which has been historic in both regions though there have been exceptions to this. When there was a generalized desire to restore the Pacific on a cross-partisan basis, which lasted as long as the players remained before collapsing, and of course the Midwest when it became a two party state thanks to the efforts of Maxwell, Lumine and Tmth. When Lumine ran against TNF, every Midwest voter but two turned out for an election decided by 1 vote. This last race was a landslide and I think barely 50% turned out looking at Griffin's RG tables.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2015, 02:07:15 AM »

Of course all regions should be annexed to the Midwest.  That is natural.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 02:57:06 AM »

As always I continue to support this on the fairly minor condition that the new region retains the name The Pacific instead of something lousy like THE WEST.

No. Tongue
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2015, 05:33:02 AM »

As always I continue to support this on the fairly minor condition that the new region retains the name The Pacific instead of something lousy like THE WEST.

the idea of a "pacific" region that includes minnesota and iowa is gross and wrong
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 06:36:22 AM »

Well, we could work on the name. Maybe The West isn't ideal, but The Pacific that stretches all the way to Minnesota is likewise bizarre. No idea what we could call it, but if we're talking consolidation, we could always divide the two regions among the existing Mideast and Southern regions.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2015, 09:37:35 AM »

the idea of a "pacific" region that includes minnesota and iowa is gross and wrong

Both of those flyover states have like twenty people. The overwhelming majority of the population will live in the "Pacific" region.

Also, trigger warning please, you're giving me flashbacks to Snowguy freaking out about Minnesota and Colorado being in the same region or something.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2015, 10:05:08 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2015, 10:19:38 AM by DemPGH »

X DemPGH

Allowing the Pac and MW to merge at this point is pretty much tied to the health of the game. That seems like an achievable step.

While I hope we wouldn't get hung up on the name, using "The Pacific" to describe a region that spans from the northern plains out to the Pacific Ocean and San Diego is a little wrongheaded. If we have the Northeast and the Mideast, what's so bad about The West? It's the most comprehensive term to describe what would be such a vast region. Anyway, look, whatever. I just think this is a necessary step that can actually be achieved at this point. The name is secondary.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2015, 10:21:43 AM »

In theory, perhaps, but its not going to happen in the present political climate. The immediate problem is reviving the Midwest and the Pacific. If we can accomplish that, even impermanently, with a four-region map, it's better than nothing.

To those shouting "three Regions or bust": would you really rather allow the Pacific and the Midwest to entirely collapse than accept an imperfect solution?
Of course. Merging the 2 regions would change nothing.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2015, 11:01:13 AM »

Just call it the westerlands, then it gets a wicked song to go with it
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2015, 11:23:35 AM »

The Pacific is in crisis and the Midwest literally did not have scheduled elections in May. The inactivity virus has so tainted both regions that the only solution to the problem seems to be regional consolidation. The last efforts at doing so failed on account of the relatively high activity in both regions. In this moment, we must consolidate or die. There is no alternative. The undersigned are those in both regions that would like to see merger talks re-opened and the Midwest and Pacific reconstituted as a single Western region of Atlasia.

x TNF

This was my fault, work was so crazy kinda lost track of what was going on here.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2015, 01:13:06 PM »

Both of those flyover states have like twenty people. The overwhelming majority of the population will live in the "Pacific" region.

Also, trigger warning please, you're giving me flashbacks to Snowguy freaking out about Minnesota and Colorado being in the same region or something.
That was over proposals of Minnesota being lumped in with Florida or California.  And maps that basically went out of their way to split up major cities that occur near state lines. 

Also...lol...Minnesota IRL is quite a bit bigger than Ireland in population and even bigger in economic might, so...($326 billion compared to $232 billion).

Now if you want to argue the Pacific should absorb the Midwest... Only if we call it "The Midwest and the West". We'll call it the MW for short.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2015, 03:22:27 PM »

X DemPGH

Allowing the Pac and MW to merge at this point is pretty much tied to the health of the game. That seems like an achievable step.

While I hope we wouldn't get hung up on the name, using "The Pacific" to describe a region that spans from the northern plains out to the Pacific Ocean and San Diego is a little wrongheaded. If we have the Northeast and the Mideast, what's so bad about The West? It's the most comprehensive term to describe what would be such a vast region. Anyway, look, whatever. I just think this is a necessary step that can actually be achieved at this point. The name is secondary.

That's it! We can call this new region "A Whale's Vagina".
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2015, 04:25:37 PM »

How about Middle Earth.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2015, 04:34:56 PM »

That's it! We can call this new region "A Whale's Vagina".

Haha, better than "The Wastes" or "The Utah Territory."
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2015, 04:54:16 PM »

What about Westeros?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2015, 08:01:49 AM »

I cannot stress enough PiT, Yankee, and Sawx's statements: no other regions should be affected by these reforms. If regions are changed/merged, it's by their expressed, constitutional consent and only for the purposes of increasing activity.

An easy solution, however, which would basically be constitutional as far as I know, would be to set up a joint government for the two regions. Technically, you'd be living in either the Pacific or Midwest and they'd each vote for a Senator but the regional government would be united.

Now, I like this a lot. They elect one governor and assembly, but still elect different Senators. And maybe the assembly members can be different, too; perhaps 2-3 from the Pacific sub-region and 2-3 from the Midwest sub-region.

I hope a name won't be the death of a plan like this. If "the West" isn't good enough, how about: The Great West, the Pacific and the Prairies[or Plains], the Not-East, Leipistan, New New England, New New Mexico, Frontier, Frontieria, Lewis, Clark, Sacagawea, Adams, Jefferson, Lincoln, Reagan, Clinton, Roosevelt, Obama, Bush, Coolidge, Paul, Marx, West-Of-East-Places, Northwest & Southwest, Pacific & Midwest, West Atlasia...

...that should get the ball rolling, hopefully it doesn't knock anyone over in the process...
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2015, 08:17:26 AM »

the red waste?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2015, 09:07:11 PM »

Miss me yet?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2015, 09:35:10 PM »

When I changed my hard drives, my backup was from last spring and I forgot to save the notepad docs containing the entries for Survey Atlasia. This was the most recent from April 2014.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies