Clinton wins 2016 nomination, loses GE to Jeb Bush. is Warren the 2020 favorite?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:47:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton wins 2016 nomination, loses GE to Jeb Bush. is Warren the 2020 favorite?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Clinton wins 2016 nomination, loses GE to Jeb Bush. is Sen Liz Warren the 2020 Dem nomination favorite?
yes

no (name who is)?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Clinton wins 2016 nomination, loses GE to Jeb Bush. is Warren the 2020 favorite?  (Read 2988 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2015, 09:23:13 PM »

JonathanSwift
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 09:25:46 PM »

I'm sure she'd be leading some of the opinion polls in 2017, but I'm not sure a 71-year-old Elizabeth Warren would even want to run in 2020.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 09:29:14 PM »

I'm sure she'd be leading some of the opinion polls in 2017, but I'm not sure a 71-year-old Elizabeth Warren would even want to run in 2020.

I don't agree.  and if Sanders ends up beating Hillary in one or two early states and causing drama, she'll have every reason to believe she can take on anyone in a national primary and have every chance to win.  Hillary is the lone Heir to the Throne alive in the Dem party; they are rarer with the Dems than with the GOP.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 09:36:40 PM »

I don't know if she'd be interested in running or not, but she'd definitely be leading the early 2020 Democratic primary polls, and be considered the early favorite.

EDIT: One other thing I've mused about on this forum before: If Clinton is nominated and loses the GE to the Republican nominee, does that diminish the "It's time for a woman" spirit among some Democratic primary voters, or intensify it?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 06:02:38 AM »

I'm also wondering how Warren would be polling right now in Iowa and NH if she were running instead of Sanders.
Gallium
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 06:07:00 AM »

If Hillary lost and the Republicans gained all three branches of government, the Democratic Party would be running to the right not the left.
Publius
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 06:48:56 AM »

Mark Warner.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 08:22:24 AM »

I have a feeling people will say she is the frontrunner in a race she hasn't even entered, and it will be like 2016 in that she's clear she isn't running while people constantly badger her whether she is running or not.
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 08:34:26 AM »

I have a feeling people will say she is the frontrunner in a race she hasn't even entered, and it will be like 2016 in that she's clear she isn't running while people constantly badger her whether she is running or not.

I suspect this would the case too. Personally, I would love to see Warren run, but it's clear she's not really interested in being President.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 09:34:11 AM »

Booker, Castro and Gov Bullock will be strong contenders as well.

Castro? The man will have been the former HUD secretary from eight years ago. Unless of course you really think he can beat Abbot in the 2018 governor's race.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 09:44:45 AM »

Gillibrand will surely be the frontrunner along with the Hill VP (Kaine or Castro particularly, possibly Booker) at first. I'd definitely support her over anyone but Gardner/Paul/Susana off the top of my head. Unless the GOP field has little turnover - I'm thinking about the future.

I wonder if Schweitzer would reconsider, but I think his base will be gone by 2020.

Raimondo would be a good dark horse, but she'd need massive help in name recognition (plus too right wing).

Feingold could take the progressive flank, but Gillibrand should have mass appeal.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 09:45:22 AM »

It should be Kaine,  Heinrich, Castro,  Booker.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 10:00:10 AM »

Actually, that's a good point.  He won't be the frontrunner, but assuming he's elected back to the Senate next year, Feingold will be in the mix as a possible 2020 presidential candidate in the event that Clinton loses the '16 general election.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 02:37:42 PM »

No, Warren will absolutely not be the 2020 favorite.

The Democrats will under no circumstances nominate two elderly women in a row.

It will be time for a new generation of younger, dynamic Democrats to step to the fore.

Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 03:02:33 PM »

It would be Gillibrand v Booker v Hilldawg veep choice.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 04:47:54 PM »

Kirsten Gillibrand, Cory Booker, Julian Castro would be tossed around. They'd probably be in the top tier. Along with Hillary's VP pick if they're not too old (read: if it's Kaine or Warner or someone around that age, they're too old for 2020). I'm sure O'Malley will run again.

They're would probably be some unexpected people enter the race too. Maybe some people we haven't even heard of yet.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 05:48:24 PM »

Warren would easily be the frontrunner, especially if D turnout was an issue. Unless Hillary lost in a controversial way like Gore 2000 in which case Hillary might be frontrunner again.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 11:28:34 PM »

My guess:  Sen. Kristen Gillibrand (D-NY), but other possibilities include Governor Andrew Cuomo (D-NY), Governor Terry McAuliffe (D-VA), or Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 03:24:40 PM »

Yes, but what a mistake, she made, assuming Hilary was inevitable and letting Sanders recreate Howard Dean phenomenom.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 03:28:41 PM »

My guess:  Sen. Kristen Gillibrand (D-NY), but other possibilities include Governor Andrew Cuomo (D-NY), Governor Terry McAuliffe (D-VA), or Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN).

Cuomo and McAuliffe would be non-starters.  

Cuomo's aspirations have to be taken down a peg, given the past year he's had.  he just needs to buckle down, not get arrested, and stay NY Governor for as long as he can.  from there, the chips will fall where they fall.

his best shot probably would have been if Obama lost in 2012, coming around here in 2016.  he would have governed slightly differently, though the corruption thing would have 100x more flashlights around it, perhaps it was secretly a gift from God.  (and he still wouldn't, couldn't have run if Hillary ran)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 03:33:18 PM »

Don't count Heinrich out.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 03:53:25 PM »

Aka Senator Dreamboat
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 03:57:53 PM »

Castro, Gillibrand, Klobuchar, and maybe Harris, although I suspect she'd wait a cycle or two.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 05:57:52 PM »

Either Booker runs for something, he has a future outside of senate. I strongly support that he runs for NJ gov in 2017, if he doesnt run for prez in 2020.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 07:22:09 PM »

My guess:  Sen. Kristen Gillibrand (D-NY), but other possibilities include Governor Andrew Cuomo (D-NY), Governor Terry McAuliffe (D-VA), or Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN).

Cuomo and McAuliffe would be non-starters.  

Cuomo's aspirations have to be taken down a peg, given the past year he's had.  he just needs to buckle down, not get arrested, and stay NY Governor for as long as he can.  from there, the chips will fall where they fall.

his best shot probably would have been if Obama lost in 2012, coming around here in 2016.  he would have governed slightly differently, though the corruption thing would have 100x more flashlights around it, perhaps it was secretly a gift from God.  (and he still wouldn't, couldn't have run if Hillary ran)

McAuliffe has long been a part of the Democratic Party establishment, and Cuomo has name I.D. and the ability to claim that he governed a state through a recession and worked with divided government.

However, Sen. Gillibrand is more likely to run. She's young, energetic, and liberal without being radical.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies