Protests in Armenia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:37:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Protests in Armenia
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Protests in Armenia  (Read 581 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2015, 10:41:33 PM »

Big anti-government protests have been going on for the last few days in Yerevan - and are now spreading. The initial cause was the announced increase of electricity rates by 17%. However, it is becoming more a manifistation of general discontent with the government.

The worst thing, potentially, is, that this has started getting a very certain type of coverage in Russia. The initial protests had little to do with Russia, and there is no Russian minority to speak of in the country (though, one should note, the energy monopoly does belong to the Russians). However, given the current Putin paranoia about "revolutions" in the "near abroad", he may well react. The country does have a large Russian military presence (which it has used as a shield against Azerbaijan), so acting would not be hard. Or, alternatively, Russians might choose to switch support to Azerbaijan as punishment - that would mean a bloody mess, of course.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 09:57:37 AM »

Thankfully Armenia does not share a border with Russia. At least for now.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:16:18 AM »

It's just Georgia, we've* already shown we don't care about them once.  Would it really surprise anybody if Putin uses Armenian issues as an excuse to invade?

Putin, "they would not let me roll the 58th through Tbilisi, what choice did I have?"

*to be clear to ag, "we" means the west in general, not me and the mouse I keep in my pocket.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 10:55:25 AM »

It's just Georgia, we've* already shown we don't care about them once.  Would it really surprise anybody if Putin uses Armenian issues as an excuse to invade?

Putin, "they would not let me roll the 58th through Tbilisi, what choice did I have?"

*to be clear to ag, "we" means the west in general, not me and the mouse I keep in my pocket.

All the necessary troops are already in Armenia. There are huge Russian bases there.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 11:05:20 AM »

It's Putin, it doesn't have to make sense.  The Russian people will eat up whatever spin comes out of the state's media, the west will wring it's hands and maybe go for some more sanctions.

I'm not saying all this is going to happen, odds would be against it I would imagine, but it's certainly more likely than, say, Dubya Obama invading Iran Syria so he has an excuse to stay in office longer.

(on the other hand, I seem to recall we've beefed up Georgia a bit since 8/8/08.  Likely not enough, but perhaps enough to give Putin pause.)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 01:21:48 PM »

All the necessary troops are already in Armenia. There are huge Russian bases there.

Well, bollocks. So the Armenians will have to watch out for the "polite people".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies