Do a majority of white posters on here have any idea what poverty is like? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:07:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do a majority of white posters on here have any idea what poverty is like? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Do a majority of white posters on here have any idea what poverty is like?  (Read 4049 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: June 25, 2015, 06:39:57 PM »

Knowing what it's like is not particularly difficult if one has empathy and isn't ignorant. Of course, experiencing something is a different thing but I don't that is required for basic understanding.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 10:17:47 AM »

We have more than a handful of non-white posters? In any case poverty is a curious thing; you and I may well disagree on what it means and in what context, and I myself might disagree with myself on what it means intellectually and personally. Surely you can't have been poor if people weren't out picking coal off slag heaps to survive, right? I maintain, of course, that you have no right to think such thoughts unless they do directly relate to personal experience in some way.

What I will note is that there is a significant difference between short-term problems caused by having no money (which is bitter but usually resolves itself fairly quickly) and the grinding horror of having not quite enough over an extended (and quite possibly permanent) period of time. The two things can be related but are ultimately not the same thing. I would also note that having been poor (no matter how defined) does not confer nobility of spirit or make you a better person.

Just wanted to express agreement with all of the above.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies