If Dubya was Never President...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:07:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Dubya was Never President...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: If Dubya was Never President...  (Read 2222 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 10:30:47 PM »

Jeb would have the stigma of being the relative of two losers, he certainly wouldn't be the frontrunner now matter how much the Jeb fangirls think he would be.

First of all, the question here was about George W. Bush. So, Jeb would be the son of a Former President who is now well respected, and the brother of the 2000 Republican Presidential Nominee who lost the closest election in history.

Secondly, he'd still have has impressive resume, his vision, and his fundraising ability. The establishment would support him still, and as I have pointed out on numerous occasions, other than 1964 and 1980, the establishment has always gotten it's way as far as presidential nominees.
And has produced terrible presidents for the exceptions of Harding and Coolidge.

He would be more respected, but many would hit him just because his father was a terrible president. He also is not that strong of a candidate. He would not be capable of balancing the budget or be good on foreign policy.

I agree about Nixon, but that's it.

Eisenhower was very good, Reagan was one of the best, the Bush's were good. 

Few people think either Bush was any good.  Bush 41 wasn't a disaster, but he wasn't great, either, and Bush 43 was, well . . .

If you don't think that people in general think Bush 43 is a failed President, you are in denial, pure and simple, regardless of what your own opinion may be.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 10:34:29 PM »

Jeb would have the stigma of being the relative of two losers, he certainly wouldn't be the frontrunner now matter how much the Jeb fangirls think he would be.

First of all, the question here was about George W. Bush. So, Jeb would be the son of a Former President who is now well respected, and the brother of the 2000 Republican Presidential Nominee who lost the closest election in history.

Secondly, he'd still have has impressive resume, his vision, and his fundraising ability. The establishment would support him still, and as I have pointed out on numerous occasions, other than 1964 and 1980, the establishment has always gotten it's way as far as presidential nominees.
And has produced terrible presidents for the exceptions of Harding and Coolidge.

He would be more respected, but many would hit him just because his father was a terrible president. He also is not that strong of a candidate. He would not be capable of balancing the budget or be good on foreign policy.

Few people think either Bush was any good.  Bush 41 wasn't a disaster, but he wasn't great, either, and Bush 43 was, well . . .

If you don't think that people in general think Bush 43 is a failed President, you are in denial, pure and simple, regardless of what your own opinion may be.

I recognize that when he left office, George W. Bush had record low approval ratings. He made mistakes as President. But when Harry Truman left office, he was almost as unpopular and now he's regarded as a very good, if not great, President.

I'm supporting Jeb because of his record and vision, not that of his brother and father. I like his brother and father as people, they were good but not great Presidents in my opinion, but that has nothing to do with why I'm supporting him. I think others feel the same as me.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 10:43:44 PM »

I recognize that when he left office, George W. Bush had record low approval ratings. He made mistakes as President. But when Harry Truman left office, he was almost as unpopular and now he's regarded as a very good, if not great, President.

I'm supporting Jeb because of his record and vision, not that of his brother and father. I like his brother and father as people, they were good but not great Presidents in my opinion, but that has nothing to do with why I'm supporting him. I think others feel the same as me.

Just what is Jebbie Poo's vision?

More tax cuts?  Who will that benefit?  Certainly not the middle class.

Jobs?  Will they be middle class jobs, or service industry jobs?  Jeb created lots of service industry jobs in Florida, but few of them paid enough to support a family.  I live in Florida, and the Jeb Bush years were years of housing becoming progressively more expensive, more tax breaks for the investor class, and greater difficulty for the working and middle classes to hold their ground. 

Jeb Bush's vision is to turn America into a third world country, with a thin veneer of super-rich at the top getting wealthier, with the rest of America living paycheck to paycheck moreso than ever.  That's the REAL Jeb Bush record as Florida Governor.  He did the most for the folks who came to Florida with lots of money and the least for those who could barely make it.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 10:55:41 PM »

Jobs?  Will they be middle class jobs, or service industry jobs?  Jeb created lots of service industry jobs in Florida, but few of them paid enough to support a family.  I live in Florida, and the Jeb Bush years were years of housing becoming progressively more expensive, more tax breaks for the investor class, and greater difficulty for the working and middle classes to hold their ground. 

Jeb Bush's vision is to turn America into a third world country, with a thin veneer of super-rich at the top getting wealthier, with the rest of America living paycheck to paycheck moreso than ever.  That's the REAL Jeb Bush record as Florida Governor.  He did the most for the folks who came to Florida with lots of money and the least for those who could barely make it.

Yes, tourism and construction saw an increase in some temporary jobs when he was Governor, but there were also permanent jobs created. Florida was a leader in the nation in job growth during his tenure.

The vision is quite clear. Tax reform with lower rates and a broader base via fewer loopholes. A reversal of Obama's regulations. Obamacare repeal. Immigration reform with a secure border, a guest worker program, e-verify, and a pathway to legal status. Embracing the energy revolution. A foreign policy where we aren't the police of the world, but we do play a leadership role. That's his vision.

The middle class have been squeezed in recent years because of policies such as Obamacare, Dodd-Frank, EPA regulations, $80 billion in new economic regulations, our tax code etc. The Democrats running for President would continue the status-quo, Donald Trump would drive us into a great depression with his protectionist trade policies that would drive businesses out of business, force wealth to leave our country, raise prices, and reduce wages.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 10:59:10 PM »

Yes, tourism and construction saw an increase in some temporary jobs when he was Governor, but there were also permanent jobs created. Florida was a leader in the nation in job growth during his tenure.

The vision is quite clear. Tax reform with lower rates and a broader base via fewer loopholes. A reversal of Obama's regulations. Obamacare repeal. Immigration reform with a secure border, a guest worker program, e-verify, and a pathway to legal status. Embracing the energy revolution. A foreign policy where we aren't the police of the world, but we do play a leadership role. That's his vision.

The middle class have been squeezed in recent years because of policies such as Obamacare, Dodd-Frank, EPA regulations, $80 billion in new economic regulations, our tax code etc. The Democrats running for President would continue the status-quo, Donald Trump would drive us into a great depression with his protectionist trade policies that would drive businesses out of business, force wealth to leave our country, raise prices, and reduce wages.

Saying it over and over doesn't make it true.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 11:01:29 PM »

Saying it over and over doesn't make it true.

I said this elsewhere, I'll say it again. It's okay for you to disagree with me, but backing up comments you make with facts would be preferable I think.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies