Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:14:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15
Author Topic: Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right  (Read 25638 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 09:55:44 AM »

Excellent news.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 09:56:18 AM »

It astounds me that four of North America's alleged brightest legal minds can't understand that the majority doesn't have the right to suppress via mob rule the natural rights of a minority. It just astounds me. They aren't even capable of seeing the issue from that simple light.

Oh well. They lost! Cheesy

Exactly. It's incredible really. If they don't understand this simple principle, they don't understand anything.

I was also surprised it was a 5-4 and not a 6-3 decision.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 09:56:42 AM »

Scalia continues to be the best Justice

You've been reading it too? If Roe v. Wade is ever overturned I hope he writes the ruling.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 09:59:26 AM »

So based on Torie's analysis in the Constitution and Law thread, it seems like the ruling doesn't actually say every state has to start issuing licenses, just that every state has to recognize gay marriages performed in other states, which while practically the same thing is still not a blanket legalization. Or maybe I'm interpreting this wrong?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 10:01:02 AM »

You've been reading it too? If Roe v. Wade is ever overturned I hope he writes the ruling.

Yes, I've been skimming it. It's fantastic. Scalia's set to go down in history as one of the greatest Supreme Court Justices.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 10:03:22 AM »

Scalia is a great wit.  But, he's wrong on the legal issues and he's an awful, disgusting bigot.

So based on Torie's analysis in the Constitution and Law thread, it seems like the ruling doesn't actually say every state has to start issuing licenses, just that every state has to recognize gay marriages performed in other states, which while practically the same thing is still not a blanket legalization. Or maybe I'm interpreting this wrong?

It legalizes same-sex marriage in every state AND every state also needs to recognize same-sex marriages from other states.  But, obviously, the later part is basically made irrelevant by the former.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 10:04:27 AM »

Congrats, America. Only about 10 years late to the party.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2015, 10:07:18 AM »

We knew this day would come. Its great anyway, that gay Americans deserve the equal liberty and protection under the law when it comes to marriage and recognition of marriage to any other American. A great historic case.

I'm surprised Roberts dissented. So it was a 5-4 decision. I predicted a 6-3. Roberts seems to have a sweet spot for the Affordable Care Act.
Hydera

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2015, 10:09:52 AM »

Now all those gay republicans can finally get married...
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 10:11:03 AM »

Strictly speaking, I saw only the repudiation of the decision of the Sixth Circuit Court; only states within that district (Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, and Tennessee)  are mentioned.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 10:21:07 AM »

What's poignant about this and the 2013 ruling is that we have DOMA and the 00's fad of trying to ban equal marriage to 'thank' as a catalyst.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2015, 10:23:24 AM »

Strictly speaking, I saw only the repudiation of the decision of the Sixth Circuit Court; only states within that district (Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, and Tennessee)  are mentioned.

That's because this was a decision by a court.  Court decisions directly address the parties who are in the legal case.  But, the legal precedent applies to the entire country.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2015, 10:25:20 AM »

Yes, I've been skimming it. It's fantastic. Scalia's set to go down in history as one of the greatest Supreme Court Justices.

Yeah... no.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2015, 10:25:54 AM »

My analysis borrowed from Scotus blog was wrong. They misread the opening line of the syllabus as to the ruling, understandably because they were reading it on the fly. The holding is that states must both license SSM, and recognize out of state SSM. I corrected my text on my thread on the Constitution board.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 10:38:20 AM »

Yeah... no.

Americans and irony...
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2015, 10:40:37 AM »

Yeah... no.

Americans and irony...

Uh, no. Scalia is the worst justice aside from Thomas. Today's decision does nothing to affect that standing.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2015, 10:48:52 AM »

When will I be able to marry a turtle?
Hydera

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2015, 10:49:40 AM »

Conservatives: Gay marriage is against the bible!!!

Conservatives 10 years later: What? No we weren't the roadblock towards gay marriage!! We were always for it!!! the democrats just purposely didn't fight hard enough just to make us look bad!!!
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2015, 10:50:36 AM »

Truly a great and historic decision by the SC today! Its great to see equality and human decency triumph!
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2015, 10:53:19 AM »

When the other states concede or when the US Supreme Court smacks down some attempt to win an exception, then it really is over. The Supreme Court knocked down, so far as I can tell, every argument against the legalization of SSM. Some backward official in some  backwoods court (Roy Moore is possible) is likely to argue that Obergfell vs. Hodges does not apply to 'his' state.

That will not take long to clear.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2015, 10:54:46 AM »

Yeah I'm glad it's over.  Right decision, way too long to effing around down in the lower courts.
rob in cal
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2015, 10:56:31 AM »

Does anyone see a possibility of legalizing polygamy out of this decision, both standard polygamy and of course gay plural marriage?  
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2015, 10:57:21 AM »

When the other states concede or when the US Supreme Court smacks down some attempt to win an exception, then it really is over. The Supreme Court knocked down, so far as I can tell, every argument against the legalization of SSM. Some backward official in some  backwoods court (Roy Moore is possible) is likely to argue that Obergfell vs. Hodges does not apply to 'his' state.

District court judges will have to step in in some states, but there is sadly no path for SCOTUS to ever reverse itself on this issue.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2015, 11:04:45 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2015, 11:14:06 AM by Clarko95 »

District court judges will have to step in in some states, but there is sadly no path for SCOTUS to ever reverse itself on this issue.

Yeah, isn't it sad? People who have been persecuted, shamed, even murdered for most of human history finally getting legal recognition of their basic human rights?

While it's just a damn shame we can't reverse it, thankfully there's a way for you to reverse your stupid bigoted position and learn to accept the fact that some interpretations of a worthless book written centuries ago are flat-out wrong.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2015, 11:05:35 AM »

Per http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2015/06/a-nation-reacts-travis-county-texas-to-begin-issuing-same-sex-marriage-licenses/,

The losing side in the case has 3 weeks to ask for reconsideration.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies