Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:14:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Author Topic: Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right  (Read 25478 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2015, 11:07:25 AM »

When the other states concede or when the US Supreme Court smacks down some attempt to win an exception, then it really is over. The Supreme Court knocked down, so far as I can tell, every argument against the legalization of SSM. Some backward official in some  backwoods court (Roy Moore is possible) is likely to argue that Obergfell vs. Hodges does not apply to 'his' state.

That will not take long to clear.

District court judges will have to step in in some states, but there is sadly no path for SCOTUS to ever reverse itself on this issue.

Yeah, isn't it sad? People who have been persecuted, shamed, even murdered for most of human history finally getting legal recognition of a human right?

While it's just a damn shame we can't reverse it, but thankfully there's a way for you to reverse your stupid bigoted position and learn to accept the fact that some interpretations of a worthless book written centuries ago is just plain wrong.

I'm admitting that the fight is over and that this is settled law now. That's as far as I'm going.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2015, 11:09:41 AM »

When the other states concede or when the US Supreme Court smacks down some attempt to win an exception, then it really is over. The Supreme Court knocked down, so far as I can tell, every argument against the legalization of SSM. Some backward official in some  backwoods court (Roy Moore is possible) is likely to argue that Obergfell vs. Hodges does not apply to 'his' state.

That will not take long to clear.

District court judges will have to step in in some states, but there is sadly no path for SCOTUS to ever reverse itself on this issue.

Yeah, isn't it sad? People who have been persecuted, shamed, even murdered for most of human history finally getting legal recognition of a human right?

While it's just a damn shame we can't reverse it, but thankfully there's a way for you to reverse your stupid bigoted position and learn to accept the fact that some interpretations of a worthless book written centuries ago is just plain wrong.
I couldn't say it any better myself.  I'm glad the forces of good have overtaken the opponents of freedom.  But we must remember that this victory is only the start of our path.  We still have a long road ahead of us.  Adoption rights, anti discrimination laws, hate crimes laws, the ban on blood donation.  We can celebrate, but we must remember that a fight still must occur.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2015, 11:12:53 AM »

shut the f*** up wulfric, jesus
rob in cal
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2015, 11:13:26 AM »

Any ideas on what this ruling will mean for churches and other religious organization that aren't accepting of this?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2015, 11:17:30 AM »

Any ideas on what this ruling will mean for churches and other religious organization that aren't accepting of this?

Nothing unless they break the law somehow in their opposition? Even then they'd be forgiven.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2015, 11:17:55 AM »

Nothing. Catholic churches have never been forced to marry non Catholics despite non Catholics being able to marry since before their was a constitution.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2015, 11:20:13 AM »

Georgia concedes.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2015/06/26/georgia-democrats-celebrate-same-sex-marriage-ruling/

Georgia’s Council of Probate Judges is prepared. Judge Chase Daughtrey, the group’s president, sends word:

“The Council of Probate Court Judges is reviewing the 100 plus page opinion regarding same sex marriage and we are in consultation with the Attorney General’s office. A revised marriage license application form will be sent electronically to probate judges statewide via our list serve once the review is complete and we find the opinion immediately legalizes same sex marriage in Georgia.”
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2015, 11:25:05 AM »

I encourage everyone to read Scalia's dissent. Hilarious stuff.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2015, 11:30:52 AM »

Nothing. Catholic churches have never been forced to marry non Catholics despite non Catholics being able to marry since before their was a constitution.
^^^

Same thing with interracial marriage. There are churches that still refuse it. A church is not a business open to the public, but functions somewhat like a privatw membership club, so they can deny anyone marriage for any reason. Hell, my pastor makes people undergo marriage counseling before he marries them to make sure they're legit and they understand the convenant with God, and if they fail he won't marry them. Gay, straight, interracial, interfaith, he can deny anyone services because marriage in a church is not a right, but a marriage license from the government is.
DS0816
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2015, 11:36:20 AM »

only surprise here is it was 5-4. despite his recently overblown undeserved rep as a "moderate", i figured Rooberts would want to ensure being on the winning side for posterity/textbooks, etc. not to mention a 6-3 vote would put it out of the Court's hands with no hope of a do-over with a conservative replacing one of the majority. though i doubt even the stronges. SSM opponents would realistically hope for that now considering how strong the tides of public opinion have changed.

No.

The homophobes are done with this.

This is also the decision the Republican Party needed to see happen … for their sake.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2015, 11:40:17 AM »

I was also surprised it was a 5-4 and not a 6-3 decision.

I'm not.  I only saw Roberts as likely to be part of a 6-3 decision if it were a narrow one requiring States to recognize SSMs recognized by other States as civil marriages.  The only question for me was whether Kennedy would go for a narrow decision or a wide decision.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2015, 11:47:53 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2015, 11:51:22 AM by pbrower2a »

Nebraska, too.

Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts and Attorney General Doug Peterson said Friday that the State of Nebraska would follow the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling.

In a statement, Ricketts said: “The U.S. Supreme Court has spoken and ruled state same-sex marriage bans to be unconstitutional. While 70 percent of Nebraskans approved our amendment to our state constitution that defined marriage as only between a man and a woman, the highest court in the land has ruled states cannot place limits on marriage between same-sex couples. We will follow the law and respect the ruling outlined by the court.”

http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/douglas-lancaster-counties-begin-issuing-same-sex-marriage-licenses/article_74f43388-1ab6-11e5-987c

Applications for same-sex marriages in Douglas (largely Omaha) and Lancaster (heavily Lincoln) have been accepted.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2015, 11:48:18 AM »

http://www.theonion.com/article/scalia-thomas-roberts-alito-suddenly-realize-they--32972
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2015, 11:52:36 AM »

Yes, as I said before it's absolutely brilliant, even if you don't agree with it.

But that's that, I guess. Given a choice, I'd far rather have a ban on divorce than a ban on same-sex marriage, anyway. Cheers to the gays.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2015, 11:57:37 AM »

South Dakota:

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — A U.S. Supreme Court opinion that declared same-sex marriage legal nationwide is effective in South Dakota immediately and it's up to each county in the state to begin issuing marriage licenses, the state attorney general said Friday.

Attorney General Marty Jackley said counties can begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples as soon as they are able, but acknowledged issues like the size of a county and the number applications could delay the process.

"We are saying it's effective immediately but with that recognition that we will work with local jurisdictions to provide a reasonable period of time to implement a fairly significant rule and change in law," Jackley said.

http://siouxcityjournal.com/ap/state/jackley-up-to-counties-to-issue-gay-marriage-licenses/article_2aa994ca-28cc-57cc-85d7-8359e9a17ec9.html
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2015, 11:59:56 AM »

Yes, as I said before it's absolutely brilliant, even if you don't agree with it.

But that's that, I guess. Given a choice, I'd far rather have a ban on divorce than a ban on same-sex marriage, anyway. Cheers to the gays.

Yey! Physically and sexually abused women will be forever stuck with their abusive husbands! Loveless family units will continue! Children will just love it!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2015, 12:04:07 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2015, 12:07:40 PM by Governor Simfan34 »

Yey! Physically and sexually abused women will be forever stuck with their abusive husbands! Loveless family units will continue! Children will just love it!

Note I didn't actually say I wanted to ban divorce- merely that I'd prefer it to banning same-sex marriage if I had to choose. It's not even banning divorce as such as it is no-fault divorce.

But broken families, deserted children, endemic poverty, adversarialism, wives treated like disposable objects, cheapened marriages, and so forth... are hardly desirable outcomes either. Divorce presents a far graver threat to "the integrity of marriage" than same-sex marriage ever have and ever will- that's my point.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2015, 12:39:37 PM »

Good decision. And politically it, probably, means that it's over as an issue, which frees time for other (no less important) issues...
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2015, 12:41:56 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2015, 12:45:14 PM by pbrower2a »

I could get nothing definitive about North Dakota. There is official resistance in Louisiana, so getting a same-sex marriage in The Big Easy (or anywhere else in Louisiana) won't be so  easy as elsewhere.  

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/gay_marriage_louisiana_attorne.html#incart_related_stories

(Most of the material is official statements by public officials, so please do not consider such a copyright violation).

The Governor:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/bobby_jindal_gay_marriage_supr.html#incart_story_package

(Most of the material is official statements by public officials, so please do not consider such a copyright violation).
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2015, 12:45:01 PM »

Sorry for the buzzfeed link but lmao:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/its-legal-there#.apypRQG6O
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2015, 01:06:38 PM »

Fantastic news. This is a great day for America.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2015, 01:16:53 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2015, 01:50:47 PM by pbrower2a »

Nothing.

Churches can still legally refuse to perform interracial marriages. Of course, somebody will perform the marriage. No couple needs to get married at the "Church of Adolf Hitler" when there are so many alternatives, including court houses.  
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2015, 01:37:44 PM »

Good!  Good, good, good!
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2015, 01:51:06 PM »

Nothing.

Churches can legally refuse to perform interracial marriages. Of course, somebody will perform the marriage. Nobody needs to be get married  of the "Church of Adolf Hitler" when there are so many alternatives, including court houses. 

That church wouldn't be a Christian church, they would be a Hitler worship church. Ever heard of the Church of Beer, where they worship beer?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2015, 01:56:39 PM »

Not so fast kids. Two of your side should've had to recuse. Traditional Marriage and the rights of the states win 4-3
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies