Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:15:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15
Author Topic: Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right  (Read 25620 times)
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2015, 01:57:35 PM »

Not so fast kids. Two of your side should've had to recuse. Traditional Marriage and the rights of the states win 4-3

Go away, please.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2015, 02:07:50 PM »

Not so fast kids. Two of your side should've had to recuse. Traditional Marriage and the rights of the states win 4-3

if you keep telling yourself that, maybe it will become true Smiley
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2015, 02:10:39 PM »

Go away this isn't Atlasia. You don't have the power to change the course of history by issuing fake news "corrections".
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2015, 02:15:33 PM »

jclol
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2015, 02:20:28 PM »

hahahahaha
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2015, 02:27:24 PM »

Ok, out of morbid curiosity, who should've had to recuse themselves and why?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2015, 02:29:35 PM »

Ok, out of morbid curiosity, who should've had to recuse themselves and why?
I'm interested as well.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2015, 02:41:27 PM »

Did Kagan rule on a gay marriage case (not this one) at some point in the past when she was a lower court judge? I think I might remember hearing someone about that.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2015, 02:46:25 PM »

The bigot thinks because the Notorious RBG and Kagan officiated same sex marriages in the past, they needed to recuse themselves.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2015, 02:48:40 PM »

Congrats to those whose side won. I know the feeling of winning a partisan 5-4 decision. Just fifteen years ago, the Supreme Court decided 5-4 to end the recounts and assure that George Bush was the 43rd President of the United States. It was a good feeling, although it always bugged me that it was so bitterly partisan and one vote would have made it the opposite.

What's sad is that I wish this had been a 9-0 decision either for or against. It would have had more clarity. Imagine a John McCain appointed court. No Sotomayor and no Kagan, and today might have been a 6-3 against gay marriage decision.

It seems quite clear that politics rules our lives, regardless of which side we are on.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2015, 02:49:27 PM »

The bigot thinks because the Notorious RBG and Kagan officiated same sex marriages in the past, they needed to recuse themselves.

By that same logic Thomas should have recused himself during the first ACA because his wife was activity working against the law in Tea Party groups.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2015, 02:58:50 PM »

What's sad is that I wish this had been a 9-0 decision either for or against. It would have had more clarity. Imagine a John McCain appointed court. No Sotomayor and no Kagan, and today might have been a 6-3 against gay marriage decision.

Perhaps, but I imagine Souter and Stevens don't retire if a Republican is president.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2015, 03:07:11 PM »

Perhaps, but I imagine Souter and Stevens don't retire if a Republican is president.

Besides, what is to say that John McCain would still be President?  He could have easily been a one-term President had he handled the economic meltdown of 2007-2009 badly.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2015, 03:15:16 PM »

Besides, what is to say that John McCain would still be President?  He could have easily been a one-term President had he handled the economic meltdown of 2007-2009 badly.

He would still be president until January 2013, i.e. after the retirements of Souter and Stevens. However, it is not out of the realm of possibility that a 2010 democratic wave could have resulted in 61, 62, 63 democratic seats, which would have forced McCain to at least choose a centrist choice if not an outright liberal choice.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2015, 03:18:22 PM »

Probably not until after the 2012 election, at least. And Stevens may be 95 today, but he's still well enough that he was in attendance for today's ruling.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2015, 03:23:46 PM »

now we hopefully can gradually stop talking about SSM and LGBT in general in political discourse.  (I'm a dreamer)
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2015, 03:24:06 PM »

Too bad for you they didn't recuse themselves. Marriage equality and the rights of the people win 5-4. Wink
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2015, 03:24:34 PM »

Shouldn't some of your side have had to recuse too in that case?
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2015, 03:26:58 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymPpIzaanhY

cc. Wulfric
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2015, 03:29:58 PM »

I know JCL lives in his own world, but to think that a justice can only rule one time on an issue is a little bit asinine to put it nicely. 
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2015, 03:32:20 PM »

I know JCL lives in his own world, but to think that a justice can only rule one time on an issue is a little bit asinine to put it nicely. 

It's a large degree of shock for him. He truly believed that he and the other bigots would win and be able to force their misguided religious convictions down everybody's throats.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2015, 03:33:13 PM »

now we hopefully can gradually stop talking about SSM and LGBT in general in political discourse.  (I'm a dreamer)
No, there's still plenty of LGBT rights issues left, this is just the biggest one.

Besides the fact that 3 states are still pretending this ruling didn't happen.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2015, 04:12:55 PM »

The Supreme Court of the country formerly known as the United States of America has overruled God, usurped their authority as impartial jurists, and rewrote three laws this week to match with their ideological crusade.  

It is APPALLING that two justices who are ACTIVELY supporters of the entirety of the gay agenda, and have PERFORMED same-sex weddings, were able to cast a vote today.

There is no hope - it is all over. We no longer have a republic, or even a democracy. We are ruled by black-robed ideological radicals, with support from corporate America, Hollywood, and the "news" media.

I'm afraid that very soon, they will soon go after the churches and start imposing penalties on those who refuse to perform unions they have a moral disagreement with. Justice  Alito warned of pending vilification.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2015, 04:17:59 PM »

The Supreme Court of the country formerly known as the United States of America has overruled God, usurped their authority as impartial jurists, and rewrote three laws this week to match with their ideological crusade. 

It is APPALLING that two justices who are ACTIVELY supporters of the entirety of the gay agenda, and have PERFORMED same-sex weddings, were able to cast a vote today.

There is no hope - it is all over. We no longer have a republic, or even a democracy. We are ruled by black-robed ideological radicals, with support from corporate America, Hollywood, and the "news" media.

I'm afraid that very soon, they will soon go after the churches and start imposing penalties on those who refuse to perform unions they have a moral disagreement with. Justice  Alito warned of pending vilification.

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2015, 04:20:02 PM »

I'm afraid that very soon, they will soon go after the churches and start imposing penalties on those who refuse to perform unions they have a moral disagreement with. Justice  Alito warned of pending vilification.

Go to Somalia if you don't like it. No taxes, no regulations and most certainly no same sex marriage.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies