Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:13:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15
Author Topic: Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right  (Read 25484 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2015, 04:25:08 PM »

While I do support the effect of the court's ruling, I am a bit uncomfortable with how sweeping it is.  Concession does have to be made in relenting that today's majority opinion has deep, serious implications for religious expression and religious freedom in this country.  Just as it took 16 years between Brown v. Board and the eventual integration of Mississippi public schools, issues surrounding the rights of LGBT Americans will stay with us for several more decades and I'm afraid that the court's opinion has provided us with a messy, muddy standard by which to approach future cases that will undoubtedly crop-up because of today's ruling.

Will religious institutions of higher learning be forced to provide married student housing to legally-married gay couples?  Will religious adoption agencies be required to assist gay couples in adopting children?  Unfortunately for some supporters of this ruling, Constitutional concerns over religious freedom are not as trivial as "baking a cake".  Similarly, today's opinion could easily be applied in the context of polygamous marriage or same-sex incestuous marriage.  Is that next?    

The Court can expect a slew of religious freedom cases over the next couple sessions.  I don't think that the Court is in the mood nor the position to say, explicitly, that a bed-and-breakfast ran by Southern Baptists has to provide accommodation for a gay couple, or that a religious institution of higher learning must provide married student housing to homosexuals.  The Court has walked itself into a very tight corner, and I think it may actually end-up making things worse-off for LGBT Americans.          

CountryClassSF

« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2015, 04:27:27 PM »

The Court can expect a slew of religious freedom cases over the next couple sessions.  I don't think that the Court is in the mood nor the position to say, explicitly, that a bed-and-breakfast ran by Southern Baptists has to provide accommodation for a gay couple, or that a religious institution of higher learning must provide married student housing to homosexuals.  The Court has walked itself into a very tight corner, and I think it may actually end-up making things worse-off for LGBT Americans.          

I see what you're saying and I definitely agree with most of this, but the decision can only make them worse off if they choose to start a fight with churches/religious institutions/biz.

And all indications are some already have. 
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2015, 04:33:54 PM »

Besides the fact that 3 states are still pretending this ruling didn't happen.

That's an issue for the next few weeks. Even Bobby Jindal can't hold out very long against the US Supreme Court.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2015, 04:36:09 PM »

I see what you're saying and I definitely agree with most of this, but the decision can only make them worse off if they choose to start a fight with churches/religious institutions/biz.

And all indications are some already have.  

Yes, I think that anyone would have to concede that there are LGBTs willing to pick this fight.  As uncomfortable as it is to admit, there are elements of the pro-LGBT community in the United States that see organized religion and religious expression an "enemy" to their cause.  

LGBTs have won in our courthouses, and I think there are plenty out there willing and wanting to take this battle into churches and other religious institutions.  There's some sort of masturbatory pleasure that the "ACLU-Left" gets from degrading organized religion despite the 1st Amendment.  
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2015, 04:44:06 PM »

Similarly, today's opinion could easily be applied in the context of polygamous marriage or same-sex incestuous marriage.  Is that next? 

I haven't read the ruling but other people who have read it led me to believe that it was fairly skilfully tailored in such a way as to not easily be expanded into these sorts of outcomes.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2015, 04:44:21 PM »

The Supreme Court of the country formerly known as the United States of America has overruled God, usurped their authority as impartial jurists, and rewrote three laws this week to match with their ideological crusade.  

It is APPALLING that two justices who are ACTIVELY supporters of the entirety of the gay agenda, and have PERFORMED same-sex weddings, were able to cast a vote today.

There is no hope - it is all over. We no longer have a republic, or even a democracy. We are ruled by black-robed ideological radicals, with support from corporate America, Hollywood, and the "news" media.

I'm afraid that very soon, they will soon go after the churches and start imposing penalties on those who refuse to perform unions they have a moral disagreement with. Justice  Alito warned of pending vilification.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2015, 04:44:55 PM »

Similarly, today's opinion could easily be applied in the context of polygamous marriage or same-sex incestuous marriage.  Is that next? 

Yes. And?
CountryClassSF

« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2015, 04:45:50 PM »

I haven't read the ruling but other people who have read it led me to believe that it was fairly skilfully tailored in such a way as to not easily be expanded into these sorts of outcomes.

That's a problem, because that means the intent was to legalize SSM and create a right. If the Court wants to make law, they should run for Congress and step down from the court. If same-sex marriage was a right granted by the 14th, we'd have been performing them since it's adoption (I think 1868/9?)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2015, 04:48:05 PM »

Yes. And?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2015, 04:49:29 PM »

Also why does countryclassSF's post count say "leet"

CountryClassSF
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 6.87

View Profile Personal Message (Online)
CountryClassSF

« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2015, 04:50:27 PM »

CountryClassSF
YaBB God

Political Matrix

AH! when you hit 1337 posts, it says "leet." Once I posted #1338, it went away. Kinda cool.

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2015, 04:51:13 PM »

Yes. And?
Another good thing about this ruling!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2015, 04:51:48 PM »

CountryClassSF
YaBB God

Political Matrix

Wow that's really weird. What is that? lol I  saw it, refreshed the page and now it shows number of posts.

Okay...cuz you had 1337 posts?  Thats really funny actually.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2015, 04:52:14 PM »

how could people argue that marriages between family members is "good thing" Dear God.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2015, 04:52:40 PM »

Yes, I think that anyone would have to concede that there are LGBTs willing to pick this fight.  As uncomfortable as it is to admit, there are elements of the pro-LGBT community in the United States that see organized religion and religious expression an "enemy" to their cause.  

I know how you feel. We're the new 'uppity negroes'
CountryClassSF

« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2015, 04:52:49 PM »

Okay...cuz you had 1337 posts?  Thats really funny actually.

Yes, it took me a minute to figure it out. lol. L33t!111
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2015, 04:53:13 PM »

The Supreme Court of the country formerly known as the United States of America has overruled God, usurped their authority as impartial jurists, and rewrote three laws this week to match with their ideological crusade.

There is a country in which the political order effectively faces the veto of Almighty God, at least as understood by some religious experts, on all  political issues. That country is the Islamic Republic of Iran. If you are a Christian, then you worship that God Allah.   

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There are two 'gay' agendas. One is the perverse agenda of NAMBLA and its female equivalent -- the sorts of people who think themselves entitled to mess up the lives of children for their own sick indulgence. The other, mainstream gays and lesbians, are either men capable only of loving men or women capable only of loving women. Those innocuous people align with straight people on the rights of children to avoid becoming prey of perverts.  

Same-sex marriage is now as mainstream as child sexual abuse has become uniformly reviled. Corporate America has decided, as is its prerogative, that SSM is good for business. The entertainment media are what they are -- a relatively-liberal bastion. Loud FoX "News" condemns the ruling.

Religious congregations still have the right to refuse to perform any marriage that the religious hierarchy considers unsuitable, including interfatith and even interracial marriages.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2015, 04:53:47 PM »

Rep. Steve King goes bonkers, advocates for an abolition of civil marriage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6hGMLPmX-I
CountryClassSF

« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2015, 04:55:01 PM »

Loud FoX "News" condemns the ruling.

Actually, I was watching Fox when it came down.  Didn't see much condemnation on there.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2015, 04:55:51 PM »

This is a moderate-conservative compromise. What would be the problem with leaving marriage to someone's personal religious institution and still recognizing relationships as equal, civilly in the eyes of the law? Why does the term marriage need to be there?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2015, 04:57:15 PM »

It is APPALLING that two justices who are ACTIVELY supporters of the entirety of the gay agenda, and have PERFORMED same-sex weddings, were able to cast a vote today.

There is no hope - it is all over. We no longer have a republic, or even a democracy. We are ruled by black-robed ideological radicals, with support from corporate America, Hollywood, and the "news" media.

I'm afraid that very soon, they will soon go after the churches and start imposing penalties on those who refuse to perform unions they have a moral disagreement with. Justice  Alito warned of pending vilification.

country class. You have finally played your hand. Some people in the moderators cave have tried to give you the benefit of the doubt despite severe questioning, such as by myself, that you are actually gay as opposed to merely a troll. You claim to be a gay person, and yet your argument is the Supreme Court just ruled against the will of God it's himself.!??? Please! There is nothing gay conservative about your post. Do you expect us to truly believe that you RK and simultaneously believe that the will of God opposes homosexuality.?? Whether one believes that or not, it is incredulous to believe that someone who is actually gay would believe that. Even the most self hating gay on the planet, even though one who screams about conservatism is a supposed to justification for their opposition to gay marriage, wouldn't pull that. I'm calling you out of this. Answer. Stand and deliver. Complete an hour, explain how you genuinely believe that God is opposed to being gay and get our gate yourself. This isn't about gay rights, this is about you trolling.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2015, 04:57:42 PM »

This is a moderate-conservative compromise. What would be the problem with leaving marriage to someone's personal religious institution and still recognizing relationships as equal, civilly in the eyes of the law? Why does the term marriage need to be there?

Why deny marriage to non-religious people?
CountryClassSF

« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2015, 04:58:36 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2015, 05:00:46 PM by CountryClassSF »

I think the bible clearly does not encourage same gender marriages.  On the topic of homosexuality, I think it's ambiguous and difficult to decipher.

You're asking me to prove that I am gay? What would you like me to do exactly?

You're equating my opposition to gay marriage to automatic opposition to homosexuality.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2015, 05:00:12 PM »

Ha! "Judicial overreach!" Hahaha!!

Once anybody does anything they don't like it becomes overreach. "Executive overreach!" "Judicial overreach!" Ha!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2015, 05:00:58 PM »

Someone please restrain me from answering that question. Someone please restrain me from answering that question. Someone. Please.

You're asking me to prove that I am gay? What would you like me to do exactly?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies