Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:55:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15
Author Topic: Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right  (Read 25584 times)
CountryClassSF

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: June 27, 2015, 01:49:20 PM »

All the streets in San Francisco are adorned with the flag. 

Essentially, You're going to Pride, whether you like it or not.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #251 on: June 27, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »

So chin up and try to make the best of it. Maybe you'll get laid. Smiley
CountryClassSF

« Reply #252 on: June 27, 2015, 01:57:43 PM »

So chin up and try to make the best of it.

Oh I am, I'm going to have a nice long weekend in real CA.

Never stay in SF during the parade. It's too loud and downtown is a mess.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #253 on: June 27, 2015, 02:20:41 PM »

My comment wasn't to imply the only thing Clinton has going for her is her gay marriage position or that is her only position, merely that by settling the gay marriage issue the GOP would have a way to subtly move their way out of a controversial hot button issue that younger generations are overwhelmingly in support of.  Liberal Catholics like Ted Kennedy did something similar when Roe V. Wade was handed down IIRC.  Because frankly, right now the standard Democratic talking point seems to overwhelmingly be "WE ARE SOCIAL LIBERALS!", a point that would look incredibly weak if the GOP just moved on from this issue and ran on IT'S THE ECONOMY STUPID or something to that effect.

I would say that the fight is far from over. There are still 29 states without laws prohibiting discrimination on account of sexual orientation. In other words, while marriage equality is now legal in all 50 states, in 29 of those states you can be fired just for being LGBT. I think something like that leaves a huge opening for the Democratic nominee and something that I think the general American public will find quite unjust. Bills such as ENDA (at the federal level) far out-poll marriage. The American public will not accept outright and wholesale discrimination against LGBT individuals, which absolutely includes the workplace. If Hillary is to make this a top issue, she has to come out in full force and rail against the fact that it is still legal to fire someone for being gay. The marriage issue may be over, but gay rights are not. There is still work to be done.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #254 on: June 27, 2015, 04:12:49 PM »

Yeah...CCSF has horrid views on gay marriage and religion...but you cant blame carrion for messing up your street when the crows have had a feast and spread everything everywhere.

Let me clarify before ernest censors and infracts:

CCSF put his opinion in here.  People responded negatively, so he responded back and on and on we go.  Torie and Badger are no doubt getting ready to pounce on him for being the contrarian.

Badger is the one who brought up not believing CCSF is gay.  But surely CCSF must be punished for responding.

Roll Eyes
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #255 on: June 27, 2015, 06:26:05 PM »

A great victory, but there is still a lot of work yet to be done.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #256 on: June 27, 2015, 07:09:02 PM »

Lol Ernest deleting my post
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #257 on: June 27, 2015, 07:17:41 PM »

Given a choice between a gay pass and gay-bashing... I can always say no to the former.

I have been in San Francisco many times, and I have never found homosexuality a threat. Do gays really figure me out?

Gay-bashers don't.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #258 on: June 27, 2015, 08:49:30 PM »

Above post makes no sense. I said that I feel uncomfortable and I feel pride parades are an in your face statement, and get annoyed when the entire city has to come to a standstill to accommodate a sexual parade... No one bashed anyone.

Cocktails and sunset on the beach down here in real California shortly. Much calmer. Much nicer. My not being there doesn't equate to gaybashing.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #259 on: June 27, 2015, 09:00:01 PM »

Above post makes no sense. I said that I feel uncomfortable and I feel pride parades are an in your face statement, and get annoyed when the entire city has to come to a standstill to accommodate a sexual parade... No one bashed anyone.

Cocktails and sunset on the beach down here in real California shortly. Much calmer. Much nicer. My not being there doesn't equate to gaybashing.

Lacking any interest in 'gay culture' I avoid Gay Pride events. I also have no interest in NASCAR racing, so I avoid NASCAR races, too.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #260 on: June 27, 2015, 09:48:27 PM »

Where did you run off to, CountryClassSF?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #261 on: June 27, 2015, 10:09:17 PM »

CCSF, have you ever considered getting on the "gay to straight conversion" speaking circuit?  You might find it to be a lucrative venture, and you seem to have the skillset for it.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #262 on: June 27, 2015, 11:01:58 PM »

Lacking any interest in 'gay culture' I avoid Gay Pride events. I also have no interest in NASCAR racing, so I avoid NASCAR races, too.

That's my point - it's not bashing.  But the problem is, Pride is forced on you.  You get sponsored ads on Facebook with rainbow crap, you hear people in the street, it's not a matter of "just don't look at what annoys you" - this is an in your face statement
CountryClassSF

« Reply #263 on: June 27, 2015, 11:02:20 PM »

CCSF, have you ever considered getting on the "gay to straight conversion" speaking circuit?  You might find it to be a lucrative venture, and you seem to have the skillset for it.

I don't believe in conversion being a possibility - but if I could, I would
Knives
solopop
« Reply #264 on: June 28, 2015, 01:52:27 AM »

CCSF, have you ever considered getting on the "gay to straight conversion" speaking circuit?  You might find it to be a lucrative venture, and you seem to have the skillset for it.

I just can't believe you are actually gay. Like, have you ever had a gay experience? I assume not because I doubt you'd want to change after. Trust me, when I was like 14 I wished I was straight and then I met some people who were also gay, I kissed boys, I had sex with boys and now the prospect of being straight is truly disgusting to me. Honestly, even if it is against your religion living a life where you hate what you are is going to do no one any favours.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #265 on: June 28, 2015, 02:04:13 AM »

I just can't believe you are actually gay. Like, have you ever had a gay experience?
Yes  I have , but you can choose to believe what you want to believe.  People do not have to like things that they know they cannot change.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
That to me sounds like you have a heterophobia issue. I am not attracted to women, but I'm not disgusted by the "prospect of being straight."  Because it's not a prospect. Nor am I disgusted by straight people.

It's less to do with religion and more to do with gay culture and my personal experiences.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #266 on: June 28, 2015, 02:19:18 AM »

I just can't believe you are actually gay. Like, have you ever had a gay experience?
Yes  I have , but you can choose to believe what you want to believe.  People do not have to like things that they know they cannot change.

That to me sounds like you have a heterophobia issue. I am not attracted to women, but I'm not disgusted by the "prospect of being straight."  Because it's not a prospect. Nor am I disgusted by straight people.

It's less to do with religion and more to do with gay culture and my personal experiences.

There isn't a gay culture tho. There are so many different types of gays out there. And heterophobia is not a thing please...
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #267 on: June 28, 2015, 06:18:55 AM »

I just can't believe you are actually gay. Like, have you ever had a gay experience? I assume not because I doubt you'd want to change after.
Not all people who have been subjected to useless conversion therapy were forced to by others.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #268 on: June 28, 2015, 06:40:14 AM »

I just can't believe you are actually gay. Like, have you ever had a gay experience? I assume not because I doubt you'd want to change after.
Not all people who have been subjected to useless conversion therapy were forced to by others.

Not directly, but being in a bad situation socially, communally or religiously can feck people up and make them hate themselves.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #269 on: June 28, 2015, 11:41:54 AM »

gee, and why do people doubt your really gay and not just trolling? Roll Eyes

in the off off chance you aren't, you are a deeply deeply disturbed man in desperate need of therapy to address serious self-hate issues you mischaracterize as conservatism.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #270 on: June 28, 2015, 12:15:38 PM »

Not sure where the inconsistency lies.

I don't believe conversion therapy works. It's not possible to dislike something that is uncontrolled or chosen now ?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #271 on: June 28, 2015, 02:18:55 PM »

Sounds like CCSF has some real self-loathing issues if he's sitting here wishing he could change his sexuality. I'd suggest seeing a therapist.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #272 on: June 28, 2015, 02:32:41 PM »

No therapist is going to change CCSF's feelings about his sexuality.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #273 on: June 28, 2015, 03:08:52 PM »

That's my point - it's not bashing.  But the problem is, Pride is forced on you.  You get sponsored ads on Facebook with rainbow crap, you hear people in the street, it's not a matter of "just don't look at what annoys you" - this is an in your face statement

I have never had "Gay Pride" pushed upon me. I have seen plenty of stuff 'pushed' upon me for commercial purposes even if I find the product at best irrelevant and at worst disgusting. I have seen political ads that offend my sensibilities.

Does a rainbow flag offend you as much as Orwellian rhetoric offends me? I think not. You can take or leave 'gay culture' at will. I cannot avoid the consequences of the votes of people susceptible to dog-whistle politics or the debasement of political rhetoric.

You have a right to avoid businesses that display the rainbow flag just as you have the right to avoid a business that displays an iconic image of Che Guevara. Che Guevara was a killer.  B ut even if you enter a place in which Che Guevara is offered as a hero you have the right to challenge such. If I would not honor the apolitical thug John Dillinger I would not honor the political thug Che Guevara.

...I am not black -- but what trouble would arise if someone told me "I am black and I am proud!" Nothing. Nobody deserves to feel shame because his people has been abused and exploited in the past. Pride that contradicts prior degradation is a good thing.  I am not gay -- but if people put into our collective consciousness that "gay is OK" after such has been contradicted in public policy and in violent crime -- so be it.

White pride? Such implies pride in being the exploiter and abuser with the intention of imposing more of the same. Undeserved privilege that allows one to get undeserved advantages is destructive, cruel, unjust, and evil. Anyone who wants others to show respect had better do some extraordinary achievement. "Straight pride" is much the same.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #274 on: June 28, 2015, 03:11:09 PM »

STOP DERAILING EVERY THREAD INTO WANNABE "SICK BURNS" ON SOME MORONIC RIGHT-WINGER
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies