Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:15:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right  (Read 25714 times)
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« on: June 26, 2015, 11:04:45 AM »
« edited: June 26, 2015, 11:14:06 AM by Clarko95 »

When the other states concede or when the US Supreme Court smacks down some attempt to win an exception, then it really is over. The Supreme Court knocked down, so far as I can tell, every argument against the legalization of SSM. Some backward official in some  backwoods court (Roy Moore is possible) is likely to argue that Obergfell vs. Hodges does not apply to 'his' state.

That will not take long to clear.

District court judges will have to step in in some states, but there is sadly no path for SCOTUS to ever reverse itself on this issue.

Yeah, isn't it sad? People who have been persecuted, shamed, even murdered for most of human history finally getting legal recognition of their basic human rights?

While it's just a damn shame we can't reverse it, thankfully there's a way for you to reverse your stupid bigoted position and learn to accept the fact that some interpretations of a worthless book written centuries ago are flat-out wrong.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 11:30:52 AM »

Any ideas on what this ruling will mean for churches and other religious organization that aren't accepting of this?

Nothing. Catholic churches have never been forced to marry non Catholics despite non Catholics being able to marry since before their was a constitution.
^^^

Same thing with interracial marriage. There are churches that still refuse it. A church is not a business open to the public, but functions somewhat like a privatw membership club, so they can deny anyone marriage for any reason. Hell, my pastor makes people undergo marriage counseling before he marries them to make sure they're legit and they understand the convenant with God, and if they fail he won't marry them. Gay, straight, interracial, interfaith, he can deny anyone services because marriage in a church is not a right, but a marriage license from the government is.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 09:17:12 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2015, 09:28:26 PM by Clarko95 »

How about we just stop interacting with CCSF entirely? Let's get this thread back on track.

I've been euphoric for the past several hours, but after seeing some people bring this up, I feel that I've gotta share it here:

It's sombering that there are a lot of LGBT people who aren't here to see this day. A lot of LGBT people have killed themselves, thinking there is something wrong with them, not knowing how to reconcile their sexuality/gender identity with the horrible sh*t society threw at them, not knowing how to keep themselves alive after being thrown out of the house by parents who put their bigoted beliefs above their own children.

Let's remember everyone who was murdered, shot, beaten, stabbed, dragged behind cars and crucified on fences, because of their actual or supposed sexuality/gender identity. Remember all those LGBT people who lived their whole lives far away from any accepting and understanding society over the thousands of years humans have been on this Earth, who surpressed their identity and never got to be themselves before they passed away of natural causes. They never got to see this day.

This day is also a day to remember all those who died of HIV/AIDS since the 1960s. One of the prinicple motives behind the fight for marriage equality was the fact that during the AIDS crisis of the 1980s and 1990s, many LGBT people in their final days and hours were denied seeing their partners by their families, because their partners did not have spousal rights to visitation and medical decisions. Though to many of us young LGBTers who have been bombarded with safe-sex information for all of our lives and know that if we are infected there are ways to manage it and survive, the horrors of the HIV/AIDS crisis that raged just as recently as 20 years ago, cutting down hundreds of thousands of people both LGBT and not, still casts a pretty long shadow. I'm sure posters like Torie have quite a bit to share with us about those times.

I saw in some news reports about how many of the non-profits and advocacy groups that fought for marriage equality are going to wind up their operations and shut down. I hope many of them move on to related issues like anti-discrimination legislation, educating people about LGBT issues, and fighting the still very real and serious problem of LGBT youth homelessness.

The SCOTUS ruling doesn't change the fact that homophobia is still a huge problem, and that millions of LGBT kids and millions of non-LGBT kids currently are suffering from torment and bullying for their actual/supposed sexual orientation/gender identity, that many of them will still silently sit in church/ mosque/ temple/ synagogue and hear messages of intolerance directed towards people like them for something they cannot change. Many will be so torn with this internal and external conflict that they will develop serious mental and emotional issues that will tear them apart. Many of us (like myself) will still live in fear of being fired if our sexual orientation is revealed or even suspected. Many of us will silently celebrate tonight in a house where we are not accepted or understood. Many will still suffer from hurtful comments and even physical attacks, and many will attempt and regretfully succeed in committing suicide. LGBT people are still in prisons, being tortured, and executed for simply being who they are and loving who they love around the world.

I'm sorry to rain on the parade (hey, that can be a pun, right? Smile, dammit) and bring such negative thoughts and emotions into this day that should be about the celebration of love and equality, but we cannot forget where this fight started. A lot of us younger LGBTs seem to forget what older generations of had to suffer through to get the ball rolling. While we should celebrate this extremely important achievement to honor those who came before us, we should also remember all those who never got to see this day that they deserved. We should also take this momentum and use it to keep fighting the good fight, for equal protection laws, helping homeless LGBT kids, ending violence towards LGBT people both at home and abroad, challenging our L and G brothers and sisters to accept the B and T people, and to continue opening peoples' eyes to why this is such an important issue and why they should be on our side.

So yeah, end of jumbled, emotional rant. I'm tired as sh*t and drained from the past several hours. Let's have an argument about Illinois' state budget tomorrow, then go crazy at Pride on Sunday. Have a good night y'all. Life gets better.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:44:57 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2015, 11:50:02 PM by Clarko95 »

Very interesting to listen to a straight person rail against a member of the queer community for "not listening to the arguments" of people who are against same-sex marriage.

I suggest you don't call shua straight. He gets very pissy about you "defining his sexuality" when he didn't "give you permission" to do so.

This, despite the fact that he identifies as a male and posts in the Hot Guys Thread, while twisting himself in knots to defend Indiana's RFRA law, putting the desires of religious conservatives to discriminate and legally disassociate themselves with LGBT people over the rights of LGBT people to go about their lives without discrimination, arguing you can oppose LGBT rights while not being straight yourself, and that supporting discrimination against LGBT people totally doesn't mean you hate them!

So basically, he's an unnecessarily wordy CountryClasslessSF going on about the persecution of "people of faith" without all the thread derailing. There's no point in arguing with people like them. Just pray for people like him to figure out how to accept themselves.

Kudos on the rest of your post though!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies