Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:47:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right  (Read 25775 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« on: June 26, 2015, 10:40:37 AM »

Scalia continues to be the best Justice

You've been reading it too? If Roe v. Wade is ever overturned I hope he writes the ruling.

Yes, I've been skimming it. It's fantastic. Scalia's set to go down in history as one of the greatest Supreme Court Justices.

Yeah... no.

Americans and irony...

Uh, no. Scalia is the worst justice aside from Thomas. Today's decision does nothing to affect that standing.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 10:57:21 AM »

When the other states concede or when the US Supreme Court smacks down some attempt to win an exception, then it really is over. The Supreme Court knocked down, so far as I can tell, every argument against the legalization of SSM. Some backward official in some  backwoods court (Roy Moore is possible) is likely to argue that Obergfell vs. Hodges does not apply to 'his' state.

That will not take long to clear.

District court judges will have to step in in some states, but there is sadly no path for SCOTUS to ever reverse itself on this issue.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 11:05:35 AM »

Per http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2015/06/a-nation-reacts-travis-county-texas-to-begin-issuing-same-sex-marriage-licenses/,

The losing side in the case has 3 weeks to ask for reconsideration.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 11:07:25 AM »

When the other states concede or when the US Supreme Court smacks down some attempt to win an exception, then it really is over. The Supreme Court knocked down, so far as I can tell, every argument against the legalization of SSM. Some backward official in some  backwoods court (Roy Moore is possible) is likely to argue that Obergfell vs. Hodges does not apply to 'his' state.

That will not take long to clear.

District court judges will have to step in in some states, but there is sadly no path for SCOTUS to ever reverse itself on this issue.

Yeah, isn't it sad? People who have been persecuted, shamed, even murdered for most of human history finally getting legal recognition of a human right?

While it's just a damn shame we can't reverse it, but thankfully there's a way for you to reverse your stupid bigoted position and learn to accept the fact that some interpretations of a worthless book written centuries ago is just plain wrong.

I'm admitting that the fight is over and that this is settled law now. That's as far as I'm going.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 03:15:16 PM »

What's sad is that I wish this had been a 9-0 decision either for or against. It would have had more clarity. Imagine a John McCain appointed court. No Sotomayor and no Kagan, and today might have been a 6-3 against gay marriage decision.

Perhaps, but I imagine Souter and Stevens don't retire if a Republican is president.

Besides, what is to say that John McCain would still be President?  He could have easily been a one-term President had he handled the economic meltdown of 2007-2009 badly.

He would still be president until January 2013, i.e. after the retirements of Souter and Stevens. However, it is not out of the realm of possibility that a 2010 democratic wave could have resulted in 61, 62, 63 democratic seats, which would have forced McCain to at least choose a centrist choice if not an outright liberal choice.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 05:11:26 PM »

Just like there are women who oppose abortion, there are gays who oppose SSM. Deal with it, liberals. It's not going to go away just because you delude yourself into believing they don't exist.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 05:23:13 PM »

In this post from FreeRepublic, CountyClassSF said this

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3304515/posts?page=20#20

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That doesn't seem like something a gay person would say.

Please straightsplain to me what a gay person should say. Yes, I'm not out at FreeRepublic because yes, they don't accept out gays. Happy?

The question is, are you putting on a show there or putting on a show here? I think you are putting on a show here.

He is "putting on a show" in both places. And that isn't going to change. No one except the most pitiful of low-information people changes their personal viewpoint on a political issue according to the whims and moods of the courts. Opponents have and will continue to admit that SSM is settled and unchangeable law now, as I have already done. But that doesn't mean mine or their personal opinion is affected.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 05:34:24 PM »

In this post from FreeRepublic, CountyClassSF said this

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3304515/posts?page=20#20

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That doesn't seem like something a gay person would say.

Please straightsplain to me what a gay person should say. Yes, I'm not out at FreeRepublic because yes, they don't accept out gays. Happy?

The question is, are you putting on a show there or putting on a show here? I think you are putting on a show here.

He is "putting on a show" in both places. And that isn't going to change. No one except the most pitiful of low-information people changes their personal viewpoint on a political issue according to the whims and moods of the courts. Opponents have and will continue to admit that SSM is settled and unchangeable law now, as I have already done. But that doesn't mean mine or their personal opinion is affected.

you are factually incorrect. When the Court struck down segregation, or when the Civil Rights Act passed and broke it down, opinions notably even dramatically changed to a weakened opposition of segregation very soon afterwards. The law in the US Army sorry I mean legitimacy that holds, does create social norms and expectations. It will may not eliminate opposition, but it totally transforms societal standards. Whether you oppose or support this ruling, that cannot be denied

What does the US Army have to do with any of this? They don't create laws or define norms for all of society, they are not a governing body.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 02:32:41 PM »

No therapist is going to change CCSF's feelings about his sexuality.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 05:11:23 PM »

Not sure where the inconsistency lies.

I don't believe conversion therapy works. It's not possible to dislike something that is uncontrolled or chosen now ?

Once again, there are a very small few people that it does work on. Small as in maybe 1 out of 10000.

Those people have almost certainly either lied about being converted to fit in/promote a friend's therapy center or were never gay in the first place and just forced into therapy based on their family's perception of them.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 02:25:06 PM »

If he chose to enter into a gay marriage, would you still be fully supportive?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies