Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:32:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right  (Read 25686 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: June 27, 2015, 08:14:20 AM »
« edited: June 27, 2015, 08:19:06 AM by Mechaman »

So wait, let me get this straight:

The US Supreme Court decided, in a 5-4 decision, to take away 30% of Hillary Clinton's talking points next election.  And the Republican candidates, instead of just simply stating "it is now the law of the land", are going to protest instead of recognize a good thing when it happens?

God, these people are stupid.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 01:03:51 PM »

So wait, let me get this straight:

The US Supreme Court decided, in a 5-4 decision, to take away 30% of Hillary Clinton's talking points next election.  And the Republican candidates, instead of just simply stating "it is now the law of the land", are going to protest instead of recognize a good thing when it happens?

God, these people are stupid.

Implying she doesn't have more to campaign on than gay marriage.

Also 50% of Republican voters are evangelicals. While LGBT is actually a small puzzle piece of the democratic coalition of 5-10%. Here's hoping that the social conservatives weaken as a % of the overall electorate voterbase from here on.

No you read the post wrong.  Just that this is obviously an opening for the GOP to subtly take the gay marriage question out of their campaigns.  Evangelicals are not going to suddenly revolt against a party that is still strongly anti-abortion (for starters) just because the question of gay marriage is put on the backburner.  Modifying their position particularly on that issue would deaden a lot of the appeal the Democrats have with people who otherwise would feel their interests at odds with the party they support.

My comment wasn't to imply the only thing Clinton has going for her is her gay marriage position or that is her only position, merely that by settling the gay marriage issue the GOP would have a way to subtly move their way out of a controversial hot button issue that younger generations are overwhelmingly in support of.  Liberal Catholics like Ted Kennedy did something similar when Roe V. Wade was handed down IIRC.  Because frankly, right now the standard Democratic talking point seems to overwhelmingly be "WE ARE SOCIAL LIBERALS!", a point that would look incredibly weak if the GOP just moved on from this issue and ran on IT'S THE ECONOMY STUPID or something to that effect.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 06:00:15 AM »

Here is the thing I just really don't get, and that is why people need a government ruling to back up their religious beliefs?  Doesn't that violate the First Amendment?

I mean, I really don't get this idea of how if we have legal equality between straight and gay people it is somehow harming the freedoms of Christian America.  Nobody ever openly calls divorce laws "anti-Christian" or how bad and evil it is that people aren't thrown in jail for committing straight adultery.  What makes the concept of legal (emphasis) equality between straight and gay people so much worse?

To Paraphrase: If you don't like Gay Marriage don't get one.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies