Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:05:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Breaking: Supreme Court rules SSM a legal right  (Read 25751 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: June 26, 2015, 10:21:07 AM »

What's poignant about this and the 2013 ruling is that we have DOMA and the 00's fad of trying to ban equal marriage to 'thank' as a catalyst.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 11:17:55 AM »

Any ideas on what this ruling will mean for churches and other religious organization that aren't accepting of this?

Nothing. Catholic churches have never been forced to marry non Catholics despite non Catholics being able to marry since before their was a constitution.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 11:59:56 AM »

I encourage everyone to read Scalia's dissent. Hilarious stuff.

Yes, as I said before it's absolutely brilliant, even if you don't agree with it.

But that's that, I guess. Given a choice, I'd far rather have a ban on divorce than a ban on same-sex marriage, anyway. Cheers to the gays.

Yey! Physically and sexually abused women will be forever stuck with their abusive husbands! Loveless family units will continue! Children will just love it!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 03:24:34 PM »

Not so fast kids. Two of your side should've had to recuse. Traditional Marriage and the rights of the states win 4-3

Shouldn't some of your side have had to recuse too in that case?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 04:52:40 PM »

Yes, I think that anyone would have to concede that there are LGBTs willing to pick this fight.  As uncomfortable as it is to admit, there are elements of the pro-LGBT community in the United States that see organized religion and religious expression an "enemy" to their cause.  

I know how you feel. We're the new 'uppity negroes'
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 04:57:42 PM »

Rep. Steve King goes bonkers, advocates for an abolition of civil marriage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6hGMLPmX-I

This is a moderate-conservative compromise. What would be the problem with leaving marriage to someone's personal religious institution and still recognizing relationships as equal, civilly in the eyes of the law? Why does the term marriage need to be there?

Why deny marriage to non-religious people?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 05:05:43 PM »

You're asking me to prove that I am gay? What would you like me to do exactly?

Out yourself on Free Republic.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 05:41:35 PM »

Most of these links aren't really helping.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 06:40:14 AM »

CCSF, have you ever considered getting on the "gay to straight conversion" speaking circuit?  You might find it to be a lucrative venture, and you seem to have the skillset for it.

I don't believe in conversion being a possibility - but if I could, I would

I just can't believe you are actually gay. Like, have you ever had a gay experience? I assume not because I doubt you'd want to change after.
Not all people who have been subjected to useless conversion therapy were forced to by others.

Not directly, but being in a bad situation socially, communally or religiously can feck people up and make them hate themselves.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 03:32:24 AM »

Special rights are not equal rights.

The gay activists now will go after churches next. Their goal is not only what they label equality under the law, in which legitimate objective observers can see is not equality, but actually discrimination against heterosexuals.. Particularly Christian heterosexuals.

the same people that claim to be anti bullying are perfectly fine with it when it's someone else on the receiving end.

That's the gay agenda folks that I see with my own eyes. It is discussed openly in homosexual circles. Conservatives need to vote. Band together and vote.

I have not been able to sleep for days. These are sad times for our country.

Really?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies