What will be the next big social issue?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:41:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What will be the next big social issue?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What will be the next big social issue?  (Read 4422 times)
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 07:26:04 PM »

I have changed my view of polygamy to supportive. I think it's hard to argue against the idea of polygamy, and the biggest real problems with it are purely practical. But practical difficulties in living something out don't justify a blanket ban. Prostitution should definitely be decriminalized, if not legalized.

Transgender rights, prison reform and drug legalization are may be the next big issues that occupy us for a time before passing through a stage of acceptance. Issues of race, gender, immigration (an appendage to race, sort of), and so on will always be with us.

At least it's consistent. Many SSM supporters get awfully angry when this topic is mentioned.

Do you understand Beet's (fortunately fringe) position as necessary in order to be consistent? Because the increasingly prevalent opinion that I've encountered (and which I hold) is that limitation to two partners is qualitatively more important to the institution of marriage in our society, in societies similar to or derived from ours, and in the expected and hoped-for future of our society than is the question of the partners' sexes, and thus it's not inconsistent to put stock in the former but not in the latter.

Which I acknowledged 11 years ago, when I already took the 'consistent' pro-SSM position that you praise here, a very narrowly tailored pro-SSM position that avoided any slippery slopes. And that remains a perfectly consistent position, yes.

But over time, the predominant pro-SSM position evolved to a simpler one, by Occam's razor superior, which was "If it harms no one, then why not?" Basically, if society thinks the harms of denying something (in this case, recognition of SSM) is greater than the harms of allowing it (apparently nothing more than the mental anguish of anti-SSM conservatives) then it will be supported.

All the polygamists need to do is point to one healthy, loving and working polygamist family who isn't hurt anyone, but is being hurt by lack of legal recognition, and ask "why not?" to build a very strong case for themselves.

Agreed completely. Very well written. Very rational. This is basically what everyone would have written/thought had there been no religion (or old traditional practises) in the world.

If it hurts noone, there exist absolutely no moral reasons whatsoever to Outlaw such a practise.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 07:42:13 PM »

The two next big social issues will most unquestionably be the death penalty and gun control, without any doubt whatsoever. Just give it a little bit of time to mature, as with marriage equality. And maybe these issues won't need 50 years either, but rather some 11-19 or something. Future history writing usually do surprise us, especially so in this modern day of robotics and self-driving cars.

Okey, there are obviously more than just these two issues which are gonna be huge in the years going forward. Marihuana legalization and the end to mass incarceration are certainly gonna be just as important and epoque changing.

I could see death penalty abolition becoming a major movement soon. Gun control is a much bigger stretch.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2015, 07:44:36 PM »

Re-educating those religious individuals among us who spread bigotry and hate.

So you want forced re-education of all Bible believing Christians? That basically means you want a genocide of Bible Believing Christians. You are seeking revenge and that is a stain on your position.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2015, 07:47:43 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2015, 07:50:34 PM by pbrower2a »

POVERTY

It has been the Third Rail of American politics for 35 years. It hurts too many people.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2015, 07:47:47 PM »

So you want forced re-education of all Bible believing Christians? That basically means you want a genocide of Bible Believing Christians. You are seeking revenge and that is a stain on your position.

you believe all bible-believing christians spread bigotry and hate? i'mma have to report you for this piece of vicious anti-christian rhetoric
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 07:52:01 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2015, 07:54:37 PM by eric82oslo »

The two next big social issues will most unquestionably be the death penalty and gun control, without any doubt whatsoever. Just give it a little bit of time to mature, as with marriage equality. And maybe these issues won't need 50 years either, but rather some 11-19 or something. Future history writing usually do surprise us, especially so in this modern day of robotics and self-driving cars.

Okey, there are obviously more than just these two issues which are gonna be huge in the years going forward. Marihuana legalization and the end to mass incarceration are certainly gonna be just as important and epoque changing.

I could see death penalty abolition becoming a major movement soon. Gun control is a much bigger stretch.

Yep, agreed, but only for one reason: That it's written in the Constitution. Without the second amendment, I'm confident that the US currently would have had at least 90% less guns in circulation than it currently has.

Okey, that was perhaps a too bold statement. After all, USA has this pretty recent history of slavery/segregation/Jim Crow etcetera that makes my European experience a bit obsolete. Let me just say that it's complicated. As soon as the last remaining die hard racists will die out in 10-15-20 years from now, things will start to move really, really rapidly on this issue, even with all the baggage that is US history.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 07:56:30 PM »

You see what you want to see, JCL. Hence today's 4-3 ruling in favour of antiquated marriage. Roll Eyes
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2015, 08:18:18 PM »

Yep, agreed, but only for one reason: That it's written in the Constitution. Without the second amendment, I'm confident that the US currently would have had at least 90% less guns in circulation than it currently has.

Okey, that was perhaps a too bold statement. After all, USA has this pretty recent history of slavery/segregation/Jim Crow etcetera that makes my European experience a bit obsolete. Let me just say that it's complicated. As soon as the last remaining die hard racists will die out in 10-15-20 years from now, things will start to move really, really rapidly on this issue, even with all the baggage that is US history.

Well, regarding the death penalty, the change is already slowly and quietly taking place.

A lot of people aren't aware that executions have basically fallen off a cliff in terms of frequency over the last decade.

Gun control is an issue that there can be trimming around the edges of, but Americans love guns. This is a hard thing to get around. This is definitely the time to push for reform to the criminal justice system and to drug laws, but gun control is a non-starter.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »

Drug war and drug prohibition. This is, probably, by far the biggest.

Death penalty. Though, that might, actually go with a whimper.

"Social" does not mean "sexual", you know.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 08:51:01 PM »

Well 'social' is quite a broad category. Couldnt you argue "poverty", "inequality" and other such large concepts are also "social issues"?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 09:01:57 PM »

you believe all bible-believing christians spread bigotry and hate? i'mma have to report you for this piece of vicious anti-christian rhetoric

I should report you for slander but that's not how I do things. I'm the Bible Believing Christian here and I am not ashamed of that.

Part of showing Christian love is telling the truth. If you've read the Bible at any length there are very strong admonitions against homosexuality. I have no hate or bad will towards gay people. My question is would you rather deal with me or ISIS?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2015, 09:02:01 PM »

Well 'social' is quite a broad category. Couldnt you argue "poverty", "inequality" and other such large concepts are also "social issues"?

True. But the Congress or the Supreme Court banning poverty would not do anything to eliminate it.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2015, 09:02:54 PM »

My question is would you rather deal with me or ISIS?

An interesting question, indeed.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2015, 10:47:26 PM »

POVERTY

It has been the Third Rail of American politics for 35 years. It hurts too many people.

Eh, no. I see this remaining a third rail issue unfortunately.

Marijuana will go without a whimper, but death penalty abolition I think will be a much longer struggle. IIRC public opinion is currently in favor of the death penalty. That will have to change. I see race relations/police reform becoming the next major social issue.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 10:48:27 PM »

Would it shock the LGBT folks on this site that ISIS wants me dead (Because I follow the Nazarene) as much as they want you to be dead (for being LGBT)? They want to defenestrate you and behead/crucify me.

WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2015, 10:52:56 PM »

Would it shock the LGBT folks on this site that ISIS wants me dead (Because I follow the Nazarene) as much as they want you to be dead (for being LGBT)? They want to defenestrate you and behead/crucify me.

Big whoop. ISIS wants you dead.

That doesn't excuse your bigotry.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2015, 10:55:26 PM »

I must say, I find your posts extraordinarily amusing. Pray continue Smiley
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2015, 11:08:15 PM »

I don't think there will be another big issue, at least not in terms of how abortion and gay marriage polarized people. Regardless of the ruling, social conservatives will still focus on the same issues.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2015, 11:40:27 PM »

That tends to be what people mean by it though. 

Insofar as the drug war and/or the death penalty becomes a focus of attention, you can see a lot of working together across normal ideological lines.  Liberals, libertarians and even religious conservatives.  On the other hand the is the issue of to what extent individuals and institutions are allowed to go against new norms when it comes to sexuality and political correctness, a question which leads to the culture war becoming ever more inflamed.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2015, 11:45:01 PM »

I think it may be euthanasia. 
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2015, 11:48:31 PM »

That tends to be what people mean by it though. 

Insofar as the drug war and/or the death penalty becomes a focus of attention, you can see a lot of working together across normal ideological lines.  Liberals, libertarians and even religious conservatives

Only until it becomes a partisan issue.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2015, 11:50:48 PM »

I'm not the bigot here. I'm going to set the record straight right here and right now. I have gay friends. They know where I stand and respect my stance. I wanted that kind of respectful dialogue and discussion here but all I've gotten is a serious lack of civility and utter disrespect. Yes I hold to what Holy Writ (The Bible) says about marriage and family life. But I also oppose the nefarious acts of groups like Westboro Baptist and their bigoted slogans. If anything, there has been a steady low level bigotry against Christians who oppose gay marriage on this site as long as I've been a member. Quite frankly I have had it with that said anti-Christian bigotry.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2015, 11:55:56 PM »

I'm not the bigot here. I'm going to set the record straight right here and right now. I have gay friends. They know where I stand and respect my stance. I wanted that kind of respectful dialogue and discussion here but all I've gotten is a serious lack of civility and utter disrespect.

You've got one right here.

And unfortunately, the "B" word is used, sometimes quite effectively, as a means to silence and marginalize people.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2015, 12:16:11 AM »

Probably the death penalty. The other possibilities aren't so Aristotelian as to have only two positions.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2015, 02:38:16 AM »

I should report you for slander but that's not how I do things. I'm the Bible Believing Christian here and I am not ashamed of that.

Part of showing Christian love is telling the truth. If you've read the Bible at any length there are very strong admonitions against homosexuality. I have no hate or bad will towards gay people. My question is would you rather deal with me or ISIS?

you saw a post about people who spread bigotry and hate and automatically assumed this meant "bible believing christians". why do you hate christians?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies