Greek Referendum on IMF/Troika deal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:28:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Greek Referendum on IMF/Troika deal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31]
Author Topic: Greek Referendum on IMF/Troika deal  (Read 73950 times)
Hifly
hifly15

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: July 15, 2015, 05:58:05 PM »

Is it asking too much of the Germans that they try to educate themselves about the economic and social ramifications of their policy? Or better yet, is it asking too much of the German media that they stop feeding their viewers/readers with jingoistic propaganda, and start documenting what's actually going on in Greece?

Nobody in Germany cares about what your opinion is. But I like it when you're butthurt so please continue.
Hydera

« Reply #751 on: July 15, 2015, 06:10:05 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2015, 06:11:48 PM by Hydera »

Is it asking too much of the Germans that they try to educate themselves about the economic and social ramifications of their policy? Or better yet, is it asking too much of the German media that they stop feeding their viewers/readers with jingoistic propaganda, and start documenting what's actually going on in Greece?

Nobody in Germany cares about what your opinion is. But I like it when you're butthurt so please continue.

Does nobody see a contrast?

I've been very disappointed with krugman recently, he doesn't understand there is a difference between borrowing for investments that grow the economy and pays back the debt by increasing future growth(AKA: WW2 era american spending). And pointless spending for clientism and votes(AKA Greece)

Krugman has created a terrible monster, a whole political spectrum that wants to spend just for the sake of spending.

Yet doesn't realize the country that overspent did worse than the one that didn't.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #752 on: July 15, 2015, 06:14:03 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2015, 06:45:19 PM by Sibboleth »

I'll repeat an observation I made a few weeks ago: ever seen people argue over money? I mean, in real life? Generally speaking the person who is owed money wants it back whether the person who owes can actually pay and generally does not care a flying fyck about the fact that the debtor is in fact broke and living under a railway arch (or whatever) if the debtor is indeed actually living in such penury. It's much the same when countries owe each other money.* It is neither particularly dignified nor particularly pleasant, but welcome to finance: Paul was right, you see.

That point aside, do we really need all this queasy ethnic stereotyping? Of both creditor and debtor nation? It has no relation to what is actually happening and if I wanted to read it I could just check out the gutter press from either place...

*Actually when it's a third world country and a first world one it's even worse.
republicanbayer
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #753 on: July 16, 2015, 01:21:42 AM »

Ironically, the economy of stupid Germany is absolutely fine, while France and Greece are struggling, so why should we listen to your clever advices?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #754 on: July 16, 2015, 03:31:40 AM »

Does nobody see a contrast?

I've been very disappointed with krugman recently, he doesn't understand there is a difference between borrowing for investments that grow the economy and pays back the debt by increasing future growth(AKA: WW2 era american spending). And pointless spending for clientism and votes(AKA Greece)

Krugman has created a terrible monster, a whole political spectrum that wants to spend just for the sake of spending.

Yet doesn't realize the country that overspent did worse than the one that didn't.

There's nothing tto blame Krugman for, he hates Germany, it's nothing new and he have always made the anti-German arguments (here's a lovely oldie from 1999 http://web.mit.edu/krugman/www/kompete.html, which are completely opposite to his arguments today), no matter how little sense they make. If you find anything useful in his ideas, you simply ignore any arguments he makes in discussions which can be connected to Germany.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #755 on: July 16, 2015, 03:45:16 AM »

There's so much stupidity in this thread, that any debate would be superfluous.

I just hope that, if one of you preachers of good financial virtues ever find yourselves in debt, your creditors will show a bit more common sense that you do.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #756 on: July 16, 2015, 04:18:59 AM »

There's so much stupidity in this thread, that any debate would be superfluous.

I just hope that, if one of you preachers of good financial virtues ever find yourselves in debt, your creditors will show a bit more common sense that you do.

First of all debt are not something you find yourself in, it's something you choose. It may sometimes be the least ugly choice, but it's always a choice.

Second if I behaved as the Greek state have done, I would be lucky to not end up in prison or in cement shoes depending on who I borrowed the money from.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #757 on: July 16, 2015, 04:30:21 AM »

Thankfully I'm not in debt but if I was I wish I received the kind of terms (super low interest payments, maturities extended into the 2030s, haircut) Greece has gotten.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies