Greek Referendum on IMF/Troika deal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:43:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Greek Referendum on IMF/Troika deal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 31
Author Topic: Greek Referendum on IMF/Troika deal  (Read 73635 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: July 05, 2015, 12:52:42 PM »

Those Greeks know how to count their votes quickly. 25% counted already.

Too bad the rest of the economy is not as efficient.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #326 on: July 05, 2015, 12:52:48 PM »

Interior Ministry projects 61/39 NO.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #327 on: July 05, 2015, 01:03:13 PM »

Ag, how are you seeing results from places like Sparta - the lowest level I can get is Electoral District?
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #328 on: July 05, 2015, 01:04:12 PM »

Well its safe to say that 'No' is going to win, the only question is by how much?

Pretty much.  This is very surprising to me.  I guess this really turned into a vote against a national unity government which lets ND and PASOK back in.  

Having Brussels sources announce that they considered a newly-elected government unacceptable and they wanted a more compliant replacement was always f***ing stupid and counter-productive. (Particularly given that this is a Brussels that puts up with Viktor Orban without complaint.)

But then, "stupid and counter-productive" describes so much of what has come from Brussels over the last seven years.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #329 on: July 05, 2015, 01:05:43 PM »

Good for the Greek people. If the austericrats refuse to heed this message, they will have to bear the responsibility of kicking Greece out.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #330 on: July 05, 2015, 01:10:39 PM »

Ag, how are you seeing results from places like Sparta - the lowest level I can get is Electoral District?

Once you go into the electoral district, there is another menu for municipality, and then a menu for municipal segment.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #331 on: July 05, 2015, 01:11:14 PM »

Yes might pull through after the provisional ballots are counted.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #332 on: July 05, 2015, 01:12:06 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2015, 01:14:00 PM by ag »

Good for the Greek people. If the austericrats refuse to heed this message, they will have to bear the responsibility of kicking Greece out.

Greek people have freely and without interference voted to get out of the euro. Their voice should be heard.

The European partners should help with printing the drachma: they might have trouble to finding a printer to do it on credit otherwise.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #333 on: July 05, 2015, 01:12:36 PM »

Have you looked at the actual results? Or are you suggesting they are refusing to count the "yes" votes?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #334 on: July 05, 2015, 01:13:48 PM »

If the margin of victory is large which it seems like it will, it will give the ammo for  Tsipras to  take a even less conciliatory stance.  This will complicate things since the previous bailout expired there will be more complicated procedures to get the new bailout started.  For example, the German Bundestag first has to authorize the German government to enter into negotiations that might create new liabilities for the ESM.  Anyway, if pushed by Tsipras, the Bundestag will respond with "release the Kraken"  For this not to blowup Tsipras has to make a humbling speech asking for a new deal and show willingness to compromise.  Of else it will be as predicted, exit of Greece from Euro.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #335 on: July 05, 2015, 01:14:41 PM »

Have you looked at the actual results? Or are you suggesting they are refusing to count the "yes" votes?

It was a joke: think 2004.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #336 on: July 05, 2015, 01:16:19 PM »

I think he meant this a joke trying to tie in the Ohio 2004 Prez election saga.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #337 on: July 05, 2015, 01:17:02 PM »

Guardian saying demand is growing in ND for Samaras' resignation as leader.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #338 on: July 05, 2015, 01:17:55 PM »

This should have been done in January.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #339 on: July 05, 2015, 01:19:40 PM »

This should have been done in January.

Yeah.  To think he could have prevented this whole series of disasters if he only compromised last year on the Prez candidate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #340 on: July 05, 2015, 01:21:03 PM »

Greek people have freely and without interference voted to get out of the euro. Their voice should be heard.

No, the Greeks have said that they will not bend to any conditions to stay in the Euro. They will be out if they are forced to by the draconian and absurd conditions imposed by Lagarde and Schaeuble.
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #341 on: July 05, 2015, 01:22:07 PM »

Quite expected result.

Basically the Icesaver referendum all over again. Do we want to pay our debt? NO!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #342 on: July 05, 2015, 01:23:26 PM »

CSU general secretary: "it is clear that the blackmailer and liar to voters cannot force through his dirty promises." Sounds friendly.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #343 on: July 05, 2015, 01:29:20 PM »

So does this strengthen or weaken Tsipras' position? I'd say it's the latter since the creditors now realize that their demands will never be met by a Greek government so it's sensible to just cut their losses and let Greece default and exit.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #344 on: July 05, 2015, 01:32:28 PM »

No, the Greeks have said that they will not bend to any conditions to stay in the Euro. They will be out if they are forced to by the draconian and absurd conditions imposed by Lagarde and Schaeuble.

They knew, even these conditions were, probably, no longer on the table. They knew, that voting "no" means the banks can never reopen issuing euro. They voted. This is their free will, and democracy has to be respected. Doing anything else would be going against the freely expressed democratic will of the Greek people.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #345 on: July 05, 2015, 01:33:40 PM »

So does this strengthen or weaken Tsipras' position? I'd say it's the latter since the creditors now realize that their demands will never be met by a Greek government so it's sensible to just cut their losses and let Greece default and exit.

Tsipras's personal position, as the Greek PM, is, obviously, strengthened. And, as for the negotiations, I am afraid they are now dead, so no issue of "strengthening or weakening" left.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #346 on: July 05, 2015, 01:33:58 PM »

Early trading has EUR down 1.25% against USD.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #347 on: July 05, 2015, 01:36:15 PM »

Tsipras's personal position, as the Greek PM, is, obviously, strengthened. And, as for the negotiations, I am afraid they are now dead, so no issue of "strengthening or weakening" left.

The Greek Labor Minister seems to disagree.  He just said that now Greece’s govt now has strong mandate to go seal deal with creditors.  Question is, what sort of deal ?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #348 on: July 05, 2015, 01:36:58 PM »

The Greek Labor Minister seems to disagree.  He just said that now Greece’s govt now has strong mandate to go seal deal with creditors.  Question is, what sort of deal ?

Arrangements for a German printing press printing the drachma, obviously.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #349 on: July 05, 2015, 01:39:51 PM »

I supported Tsipras and opposed Austerity a few weeks ago but I've changed my mind. I really hope the Greeks vote Yes, although that is starting to look unlikely.

I don't want to see the whole European Union and Euro to collapse over one man's intransigence.

I feel remorse for ever having supported Syriza, although I don't like that the Troika seems to be using this referendum as an excuse to remove a democratically elected government that they don't like.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies