Should churches that don't perform gay marriages lose their tax-exempt status? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:58:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should churches that don't perform gay marriages lose their tax-exempt status? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should churches that don't perform gay marriages lose their tax-exempt status?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: Should churches that don't perform gay marriages lose their tax-exempt status?  (Read 8371 times)
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« on: June 30, 2015, 07:21:48 PM »

No.
Nor should they lose it for refusing to perform a marriage between divorced couples.
Nor should they lose it for refusing to perform it between people of different faiths.
Nor should they lose it for refusing to perform it between people living together before marriage.

Or whatever other objections they may have. While freedom of religion doesn't extend to the extent that you can actively cause harm to someone and often times doesn't extent to certain instances involving public accommodation. What marriages a church performs falls into the very definition of religious freedom. To cancel the tax-exempt status in such a case is essentially saying freedom of religion doesn't exist.

I can understand people who think they shouldn't have tax-exempt status to begin with, although I disagree with such a view. I cannot understand anyone who would actively say they should lose it on this issue though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies