Should churches that don't perform gay marriages lose their tax-exempt status? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:50:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should churches that don't perform gay marriages lose their tax-exempt status? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should churches that don't perform gay marriages lose their tax-exempt status?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: Should churches that don't perform gay marriages lose their tax-exempt status?  (Read 8361 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 29, 2015, 03:53:25 PM »

Churches actually decide to perform or not perform wedding ceremonies based on a lot of criteria, so no, not per se. I have a much bigger problem with religious "exemptions" to laws and so forth, which I don't think should be granted.

Religious institutions should lose their tax exempt status if they are actively being political or otherwise endorsing candidates, for one thing, or saying "you, dear congregation, should vote this way or that way." Beyond that it gets real gray, but religious institutions get way too many free passes as it is, so it would be worth taking a look at those areas to try to decide where that line should be.

Now, if I were a gay religious person (I am neither), and my church would not perform a wedding ceremony for me and my partner, then I think I would have to re-evaluate my support of that church.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 03:54:04 PM »

Religious institutions should lose their tax exempt status if they are actively being political or otherwise endorsing candidates, for one thing, or saying "you, dear congregation, should vote this way or that way."

Does that include Churches which bus congregants to the polls for mass early voting?

I very much frown on that, especially if it's an organized church activity. Local and state governments should ideally take care of that, but the thing is, in a lot of communities the church is the social center. So it's very gray.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies