What will be the next big social issue?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:22:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What will be the next big social issue?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What will be the next big social issue?  (Read 4454 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »

Re-educating those religious individuals among us who spread bigotry and hate.

So you want forced re-education of all Bible believing Christians? That basically means you want a genocide of Bible Believing Christians. You are seeking revenge and that is a stain on your position.

you believe all bible-believing christians spread bigotry and hate? i'mma have to report you for this piece of vicious anti-christian rhetoric

I should report you for slander but that's not how I do things. I'm the Bible Believing Christian here and I am not ashamed of that.

Part of showing Christian love is telling the truth. If you've read the Bible at any length there are very strong admonitions against homosexuality. I have no hate or bad will towards gay people. My question is would you rather deal with me or ISIS?

you saw a post about people who spread bigotry and hate and automatically assumed this meant "bible believing christians". why do you hate christians?

He looks inside his soul, obviously Smiley
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2015, 02:15:45 PM »

I see Trans issues having a brief boom, followed by a fairly quick victory. The opposition there doesn't seem to be as organized or vehement. Most people don't care enough to put up too much of a fight, and it'll fall neatly under the equal protection rulings that are coming for gay rights.

Marijuana is a niche issue. There might be victories there, but it's also not a civil rights issue and any victories will be done via legislation, not the courts.

Death penalty, I don't see happening any time soon. Assisted suicide will be a slow, state-by-state process.

The left will likely try to make it income inequality, massively misjudge the public, and shoot themselves in the foot.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2015, 02:55:08 PM »

I don't think it'll necessarily be euthanasia, but I think the right to die will become a huge issue quite soon. (And there is a big difference between active euthanasia and supplying one the means to commit suicide.) To be honest, I wasn't entirely convinced until I watched that Jack Kevorkian movie on HBO a few years ago (the one with Al Pacino as Jack Kevorkian).

I watched that and I watched him a few times and I was convinced by his argument. I don't know how accurately the final trial was portrayed, but if it is accurate, the judge that presided over his trail was obscenely incompetent and should have had no place on the bench, let alone a license to practice law. Jack Kevorkian should never have been sent to jail.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2015, 03:04:32 PM »

Marijuana is a niche issue. There might be victories there, but it's also not a civil rights issue and any victories will be done via legislation, not the courts.

It is NOT a niche issue. It is not merely the consumers (and producers) who care. The war on drugs has been having a humongous impact all around.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2015, 03:20:49 PM »

It is NOT a niche issue. It is not merely the consumers (and producers) who care. The war on drugs has been having a humongous impact all around.

Agreed. The war on drugs is basically what has caused the miserable nature of Mexico, most of Central America (minus Costa Rica and Panama) as well as Colombia. I believe this is the main reason why Uruguay of all countries became the first country in the world to legalize marijuana.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2015, 07:16:34 PM »

I don't think there will be another big issue, at least not in terms of how abortion and gay marriage polarized people. Regardless of the ruling, social conservatives will still focus on the same issues.

Yes, and in Republican primaries, they may still attack each other for supporting gay marriage.

Another issue that could gain steam is sexuality/nudity standards in movies, etc. Especially in comparison to ratings on violence, the latter of which is far more allowed.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2015, 07:19:59 PM »

My question is would you rather deal with me or ISIS?

An interesting question, indeed.

Would it shock the LGBT folks on this site that ISIS wants me dead (Because I follow the Nazarene) as much as they want you to be dead (for being LGBT)? They want to defenestrate you and behead/crucify me.

Good reason for solidarity between Christians and gays.

But long live the Yazidis, too!
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2015, 07:49:54 PM »

I see Trans issues having a brief boom, followed by a fairly quick victory. The opposition there doesn't seem to be as organized or vehement. Most people don't care enough to put up too much of a fight, and it'll fall neatly under the equal protection rulings that are coming for gay rights.

Honestly I have to disagree.  The reaction of many on the religious right to Caitlyn Jenner has been extremely vehement. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2015, 08:10:24 PM »

Sorry JCL, but gay marriage is the Christian position.

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2015, 09:14:39 PM »

Honestly I have to disagree.  The reaction of many on the religious right to Caitlyn Jenner has been extremely vehement. 

I've seen some truly disgusting comments, but in terms of the frothing hatred that the mention of homosexuality causes? Not as much. I think it's because they don't have explicit text from the bible to fall back on.

Although I believe the opposition in both comes from the same "Ew that's gross" reaction common to 12-year-old boys. I just don't think they'll be able to get as much traction on this issue.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2015, 03:56:39 PM »

I am hoping that it will be the transgender issues. That is a community that has been hurt badly for so long, and it seems as though people are finally beginning to become more accepting of them. Hopefully issues facing them will be addressed next.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2015, 06:02:11 PM »

Ending the War on Drugs will be the next great battleground of the Culture War, with a significance that extends beyond enabling you to smoke pot at your local Starbucks without legal ramifications -everything else pales by comparison. 
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2015, 11:04:05 PM »

Probably marijuana decriminalization.

It's getting strange bedfellows with libertarian Republicans, traditional stoners, and prison reform advocates.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2015, 11:45:28 PM »

Marijuana legalization or transgender rights most likely.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2015, 11:55:18 AM »

Pot and then prostitution probably. At the rate we are advancing, who knows! Smiley
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2015, 12:12:31 PM »

I think Marijuana decriminalization followed by the death penalty.
okierepublican
Rookie
United States

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2015, 02:03:40 PM »

Probaly canabis and then the death penalty, although the Supreme Court just upheld lethal injections as legal so unless Hillary wins and one of the conservative justices die it will be done through the states. After that? Euthanasia and then once the marriage equality people have waited long enough wrapping up lgbt issues it will be polygamy. I'm happy gay marriage is legal but there's still a lot more ahead.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies