Amash
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:43:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Amash
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Amash  (Read 2371 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2015, 05:06:55 AM »

The man obviously has higher ambitions -- I wouldn't be surprised at all if he eyes the Big Prize. What would be the best course of action for him in the future?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 03:47:25 PM »

Run for governor or Senate? Tongue
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 03:53:52 PM »

His best bet is probably staying in the House.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 02:57:51 PM »

I hope he's primaried in the next cycle.  That being said, I'd rather him run for some other office just so he'd leave Congress. He is a radical isolationist RINO
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 03:13:40 PM »

I was hoping this would be a misspelt discussion on the Amish, rather than pointless pontification on a My Little Libertarian congresscritter's future career trajectory.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 03:31:41 PM »

One of my favorite congresspersons and I hope he runs for Governor or Senator.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 06:45:58 PM »

Why does Atlas love finding obscure congresspeople who look good on paper and trying to thrust them into the national spotlight? I don't get it.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 05:56:44 AM »

If he ran for President, I would campaign fervently. He's my favorite congressman, and it's not just because we share a birthday. My hope is that he's young enough to get the role in 20 or so years if the Republican party moves closer to a libertarian ideology (which I think, or at least hope, is inevitable).

I hope he's primaried in the next cycle.  That being said, I'd rather him run for some other office just so he'd leave Congress. He is a radical isolationist RINO

Huh, never heard a small-government, pro-constitution guy be called a "RINO," that's usually reserved for the Lindsey Graham or John McCain types. Although I suppose he is mostly a Republican just because someone without a D or R next to their name has little chance of ever winning. And that's a good thing. We need more people in government who are in favor of limiting the government's influence both at home and abroad, and whether they stick to their team's platform is by far a lesser concern.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 11:11:10 AM »

To be fair, I think he could have a decent chance of moving up to Senate or Governor if he wasn't in such a blue state. He's unelectable in Michigan.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 02:08:21 PM »

If he ran for President, I would campaign fervently. He's my favorite congressman, and it's not just because we share a birthday. My hope is that he's young enough to get the role in 20 or so years if the Republican party moves closer to a libertarian ideology (which I think, or at least hope, is inevitable).

I hope he's primaried in the next cycle.  That being said, I'd rather him run for some other office just so he'd leave Congress. He is a radical isolationist RINO

Huh, never heard a small-government, pro-constitution guy be called a "RINO," that's usually reserved for the Lindsey Graham or John McCain types. Although I suppose he is mostly a Republican just because someone without a D or R next to their name has little chance of ever winning. And that's a good thing. We need more people in government who are in favor of limiting the government's influence both at home and abroad, and whether they stick to their team's platform is by far a lesser concern.
Actually someone who isn't an extreme hawk is RINO compared to 90% of the Republican Party
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 03:40:34 PM »

His best bet is probably staying in the House.

Yeah, he will continually face primary challenges, but I doubt he wins a primary for further office. I hope he tries someday though.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 03:48:48 PM »

He needs a better primary challenger next time. Someone who can hold together social conservatives and neoconservatives.

His primary challenger last time was a moderate establishment Chamber guy.  Social conservatives went with Amash, and for him to be primaried out, they have to switch.

His primary challenger actually blocked me on Facebook when I suggested he lost because he was too soft. Probably someone who shouldn't run again if he can't handle friendly criticism.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 05:20:23 PM »

You see, being a constitutionalist and favoring limited government in almost every scenario gets you called a "RINO" in the Republican Party.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 07:33:02 PM »

You see, being a constitutionalist and favoring limited government in almost every scenario gets you called a "RINO" in the Republican Party.

Don't worry, that's just CCSF. If you're not a foaming homophobe complaining all the time about the GAY GESTAPO and Christian PERSECUTION, you're a RINO, a flaming homosexual, a communist or many of these at the same time.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 08:31:22 PM »

He needs a better primary challenger next time. Someone who can hold together social conservatives and neoconservatives.

His primary challenger last time was a moderate establishment Chamber guy.  Social conservatives went with Amash, and for him to be primaried out, they have to switch.

His primary challenger actually blocked me on Facebook when I suggested he lost because he was too soft. Probably someone who shouldn't run again if he can't handle friendly criticism.

i agree, and that last bit is hilarious.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 09:54:22 PM »

Actually someone who isn't an extreme hawk is RINO compared to 90% of the Republican Party

Very true. And that's silly, considering how they talk about being the "small government" party. They're really just comprised of interventionists, corporatists, theocrats, and a few libertarians/conservatarians/constitutional-conservatives who often lose in primaries.

If a "RINO" is someone who doesn't stick to the Republican platform even when it's wrong, then I think of it as a compliment.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 07:13:05 PM »

One of a handful of congress critters who doesn't suck.
I doubt he moves up though. Unfortunately the place you live has too much of an impact on your potential, I wish all races would be competitive.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 10:04:15 PM »

I wish people would stop using the RINO term to refer to Republicans they disagree with.

Anyway Amash probably has higher offices in mind. If Rand Paul manages to win the nomination and the election, it will help raise Amash's own profile and I bet he tries to springboard it to a Senate or Governor run, and later into a Presidential run down the line.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 01:43:26 AM »

It's unlikely for him to be elected to higher office, but not impossible. I hope he does go up.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 11:17:33 AM »

I wish people would stop using the RINO term to refer to Republicans they disagree with.

Anyway Amash probably has higher offices in mind. If Rand Paul manages to win the nomination and the election, it will help raise Amash's own profile and I bet he tries to springboard it to a Senate or Governor run, and later into a Presidential run down the line.

SERIOUSLY.  I suggest that CCSF is a "RINO" because he agrees with the Democrats on pro-worker economic policies like protectionism.

See how easy that was?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 11:23:39 AM »

More than that the "RINO" label fundamentally misinterprets the purpose of the American party system. They aren't supposed to be tight knit groups where everyone agrees with one another. They are more loose affiliations with a common goal. America in that respect is far more like Argentina or Japan (or perhaps more pertinently Ireland or even Malta) than, say, Canada or Germany.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 11:30:57 AM »

How many (R-ME)s do we have? Tongue
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 11:36:42 AM »

I'm a social conservative and if I were in Michigan I'd support Amash proudly. There was a day where SoCons would've stood with the noninterventionist. I see those days returning soon.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 12:36:06 PM »

More than that the "RINO" label fundamentally misinterprets the purpose of the American party system. They aren't supposed to be tight knit groups where everyone agrees with one another. They are more loose affiliations with a common goal. America in that respect is far more like Argentina or Japan (or perhaps more pertinently Ireland or even Malta) than, say, Canada or Germany.

This.^^^ You can say the same about "DINOs."
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 07:10:29 AM »

The man obviously has higher ambitions -- I wouldn't be surprised at all if he eyes the Big Prize. What would be the best course of action for him in the future?
No he doesn't. He's never came off as that person. Yes his law school-working for 2 years and then politics was quick, but he's never came off as wanting to move up the ladder.

I guess, but people believe what they want to believe. I, for example, have convinced myself that he'll be the nominee in 2028 or 2032.

THIS.

The whole "RINO" thing is based on "party loyalty." I don't care if I'm an [X]INO, I'll believe what I want to believe, and choose the party that best fits that. If I was a Republican (as I'm not) and think (as I do) that social libertarianism and non-interventionism are the best policies, and the party disagreed (as they do), I'd take the "RINO" tag with pleasure.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies