Australian Federal Election- July 2, 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:17:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australian Federal Election- July 2, 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26
Author Topic: Australian Federal Election- July 2, 2016  (Read 84555 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: July 19, 2016, 09:15:37 PM »

The recount will commence in Herbert soon and is expected to take... a FORTNIGHT.

Are they testing every ballot in a crime lab?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #576 on: July 23, 2016, 01:49:47 PM »

Fyck it, I hate waiting. Any changes will be tiny from this point: starting on proper maps.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #577 on: July 23, 2016, 03:29:06 PM »

This isn't really how elections should work. The AV system isnt much better net than first past the post.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #578 on: July 23, 2016, 03:34:59 PM »

This isn't really how elections should work. The AV system isnt much better net than first past the post.

It is though
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #579 on: July 23, 2016, 06:21:09 PM »

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #580 on: July 23, 2016, 06:38:37 PM »

It is really noteworthy how 'Coalition' Rural Australia is now.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #581 on: July 24, 2016, 01:06:38 AM »

Now? It's been conservative-leaning for years. That's what population decline does to you.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #582 on: July 24, 2016, 01:51:01 AM »

Now? It's been conservative-leaning for years. That's what population decline does to you.

How does that explain Lingiari (the seat covering almost all of the area of the Northern Territory)? It's far and away the largest seat by area held by the ALP (and since its creation in 2001). I've read that Alice Springs is more cosmopolitan than one might generally think. There's almost certainly a significant Aboriginal population in the electorate, but do they actually vote and if so, do they vote ALP (to be honest, I'm not familiar with any indigenous population in a first world developed country not voting for the centre-left party)?

In a somewhat related topic, I've wondered why the Northern Territory isn't a state. Is it because they would get more seats in the Senate as a state (quite a lot more if all states would still be considered equal)?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #583 on: July 24, 2016, 01:54:54 AM »

Thanks! Cheesy
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #584 on: July 24, 2016, 06:11:53 AM »

How does that explain Lingiari (the seat covering almost all of the area of the Northern Territory)? It's far and away the largest seat by area held by the ALP (and since its creation in 2001). I've read that Alice Springs is more cosmopolitan than one might generally think. There's almost certainly a significant Aboriginal population in the electorate, but do they actually vote and if so, do they vote ALP (to be honest, I'm not familiar with any indigenous population in a first world developed country not voting for the centre-left party)?

In a somewhat related topic, I've wondered why the Northern Territory isn't a state. Is it because they would get more seats in the Senate as a state (quite a lot more if all states would still be considered equal)?

1. Alice Springs is a big portion of the vote and the local ALP member is well-known, well-liked and has a great relationship with the local Aboriginal community. You don't have the "same" kind of established country people you have in the other states.

2.Yup - the ALP does extremely well with the Indigenous community.

3. On statehood, the Constitution only grants equal-footing to the original colonies. Any states that are created would likely have fewer than 12 Senators. I mean, people look at Tasmania with 500k people having 12 senators as a joke, how would the NT, with not much over 200k having 12 look?
Gary J
United Kingdom
« Reply #585 on: July 24, 2016, 06:17:31 AM »

Only the six original states have a constitutional guarantee of equal representation in the Senate. If the Northern Territory became a state it would only have the number of Senators allowed by Parliament. The Northern Territory article in Wikipedia explains the problem.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #586 on: July 24, 2016, 07:04:33 AM »

I'll respond to both of the above posts at once with respect to Northern Territory statehood. I'm not incorrect in my initial post that the main obstacle to statehood is representation in the Senate (where have I heard that before, lol?), am I? Is that a partisan issue? If NT votes as it does right now, I can't see any reason why the Coalition would want to give it any more power than it already has. (I would say the same overall for the ACT, but they seem to not want statehood.) Under more optimum circumstances, what could NT get even from an ALP Majority in both Houses?

1. Alice Springs is a big portion of the vote and the local ALP member is well-known, well-liked and has a great relationship with the local Aboriginal community. You don't have the "same" kind of established country people you have in the other states.

I have to say that I've always found a place like Alice Springs to be quite interesting. For such a small town (I don't think it can really be called a city), I think it's interesting that less than 75% of its residents were born in Australia and that 3% of its residents were born in the US and that they will hold celebrations for Indepedence Day and Thanksgiving. If you've never tried it before, it seems like Alice Springs will give you a taste of some of the best of America within Australia. Smiley
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #587 on: July 24, 2016, 08:08:40 AM »

The L/NP are now ahead in Herbert by...

ONE F**KING VOTE! UGH!
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #588 on: July 24, 2016, 08:20:53 AM »

Well it's bound to change Tongue

I suspect if it remains this close all the way through we'll see the vote thrown out.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #589 on: July 24, 2016, 01:03:21 PM »

2.Yup - the ALP does extremely well with the Indigenous community.

3. On statehood, the Constitution only grants equal-footing to the original colonies. Any states that are created would likely have fewer than 12 Senators. I mean, people look at Tasmania with 500k people having 12 senators as a joke, how would the NT, with not much over 200k having 12 look?

I was of the impression Alice Springs is the most Conservative part of the territory. The Alice Spirings elctorates in NT, for instance, are rock-solid CLP (maybe not this year, but eh).
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #590 on: July 24, 2016, 01:31:25 PM »

When is the button going to be pressed on some of these Senate races?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #591 on: July 25, 2016, 09:21:34 AM »

The L/NP are now ahead in Herbert by...

ONE F**KING VOTE! UGH!

Flipped back to 73 vote ALP lead.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #592 on: July 25, 2016, 01:29:47 PM »

Yes, but it's not that long ago when Labor could win Grey, Kennedy or Kalgoorlie (as it was then). Now those are impossible pipe dreams...

Am I right in thinking that apart from Lingiari, the largest ALP seat by size is Eden-Monaro? That's not very large by Australian standards.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #593 on: July 25, 2016, 01:57:12 PM »

I've been under impression that the CLP really screwed up in NT and that's why the ALP is doing so well this time.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #594 on: July 25, 2016, 02:13:06 PM »

Yes, but it's not that long ago when Labor could win Grey, Kennedy or Kalgoorlie (as it was then). Now those are impossible pipe dreams...

Am I right in thinking that apart from Lingiari, the largest ALP seat by size is Eden-Monaro? That's not very large by Australian standards.

There are a few big ALP seats in state elections - Giles in SA, Cook (the Cape York Peninsula), the Kimberley region etc
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #595 on: July 25, 2016, 06:56:11 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #596 on: July 25, 2016, 07:05:34 PM »

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #597 on: July 26, 2016, 11:12:31 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2016, 12:57:51 AM by Vosem »

Button pressed in Tasmania. 5 Labor (notably including Lisa Singh, elected ahead of Catryna Bilyk), 4 Liberal (not including Richard Colbeck, who didn't make it), 2 Greens, and 1 Jacqui Lambie. Last seat was between second Green and first One Nation candidate. Nothing too surprised, but at least movement is finally happening in the Senate.

EDIT: As an aside, the race for the last seat between Nick McKim (Greens) and Kate McCulloch (One Nation) was very close -- the margin was just 21247-21106, or 141 votes. (McKim was elected under quota, as the quota was 26,090). On an amusing note, Singh actually reached the quota on preferences from Colbeck. Some voters voted for the ideologically-opposite dissidents from both major parties. Lol.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #598 on: July 27, 2016, 12:48:12 PM »

Tasmania; Vosem, Vosem; Tasmania. I can see that you have not met before.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #599 on: July 31, 2016, 05:32:45 AM »

It looks like there are about 7-8 seats that cover the vast majority of the area of Australia. Would anyone be interested in making a population cartogram of every electorate? I've seen maps for here in the States, but I think Australia would put us to shame in a heartbeat. (And not to impose, but maybe answer some of my questions from my previous post.)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies