Australian Federal Election- July 2, 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:50:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australian Federal Election- July 2, 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Australian Federal Election- July 2, 2016  (Read 85646 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« on: June 29, 2015, 06:35:33 PM »

There's always early election speculation in a first term especially, but I do agree it looks like there's a big chance of one soon.  If not, I'll be pretty disappointed! Wink

Is there any chance this will end in a hung parliament? And, if so, how are the Greens doing? ALP will need them if they are going to have a victory.
    At the moment, I don't think a hung parliament is likely, although that can quickly change as it did in 2010.  Of course, depending on whether or not there's a double dissolution (the only way to have a Senate election before July 2016) a Labor government will be heavily reliant on the Greens and the crossbench in the Senate.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 10:03:58 AM »
« Edited: June 30, 2015, 03:27:14 PM by Barnes »

Wait, aren't they supposed to be reforming the senate to prevent wonderful mistakes like Muir?

That's the long-term goal, although no bill has yet to materialize as of yet. If Abbott wants an early election this year he can do one of two things regarding the Senate:
1. Have a House-only election and move the Senate and House elections out of sync; or
2. Have a double dissolution.

If he goes with option two (the more likely one), the Senate crossbench will most likely grow because of the lower quota.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 07:32:44 PM »

Quite a rush back to the Coalition, yes, but we all know the large personality following that Turnbull has amassed.  I must be honest, but I have yet to find him particularly impressive in the role, and the media darling track has been rather annoying.

Of course, I would say that in the face of numbers such as this, but these are very early days.  I still believe that there are deeper structural issues with Coalition support that will take longer than three days to repair, although Turnbull will be much more successful at doing so.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies