Christie announces presidential candidacy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 03:13:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Christie announces presidential candidacy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Christie announces presidential candidacy  (Read 5059 times)
ShadowRocket
cb48026

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 04:27:01 PM »

I'm one of the few people that still think this, but I don't think its that far fetched that he could still make a comeback or at least become more of a factor than he is now. That's not very likely at the moment, but I could see him performing well in the debates and he's probably one of the better retail politicians in the field. That could be enough for a strong performance in NH, maybe even a victory there.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 04:29:14 PM »

I'm one of the few people that still think this, but I don't think its that far fetched that he could still make a comeback or at least become more of a factor than he is now. That's not very likely at the moment, but I could see him performing well in the debates and he's probably one of the better retail politicians in the field. That could be enough for a strong performance in NH, maybe even a victory there.

I don't see how Chris Christie can win New Hampshire. The establishment candidate generally does well there, and Christie is too liberal for even N.H. voters.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2015, 04:35:24 PM »

I don't see how Chris Christie can win New Hampshire. The establishment candidate generally does well there, and Christie is too liberal for even N.H. voters.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. NH Republicans seems to be more moderate in comparison to their counterparts in Iowa and SC. Plus, independents can vote in the primary.

Of course, all this is moot unless Christie can manage to turns things around for himself. 
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 04:39:55 PM »

How is Christie liberal, at all?
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2015, 05:22:45 PM »

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. NH Republicans seems to be more moderate in comparison to their counterparts in Iowa and SC. Plus, independents can vote in the primary.

Of course, all this is moot unless Christie can manage to turns things around for himself. 

But don't you think Bush's ideology is more in line with New Hampshire than Christie? Mitt Romney defeated Jon Huntsman in New Hampshire in 2012, isn't it similar?

How is Christie liberal, at all?

New Jersey's credit rating has been downgraded 8 times, he's added billions in debt, corporate welfare is at a record high, New Jersey is now spending more on expensive failing schools in a small fraction of the total districts in the state, he's re-appointed liberal judges, and he supported using taxpayer dollars to give tax credits to a company to build a wind farm off the state's coast.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 02:11:55 AM »

President Obama's health care law's intent is not to make people healthy, of course everyone wants to make people healthy. President Obama's health care law has reduced competition in the insurance market, hurt those on medicaid by reducing their choices, it's impact will cost state taxpayers billions, it has cut medicare advantage for the elderly who paid into the system their entire lives, it's employer mandates have cost jobs, caused companies not to expand, and workers have seen reduced hours, and 4.2 million Americans have lost health insurance because of this health care law.

There is no denying that our health care system was flawed, from a cost and coverage perspective, before Obamacare. What Obamacare has done is now caused this to be an even greater economic and fiscal issue.

Saying the US healthcare system was flawed, is like saying the Titanic had a small dent.

Your claims about Obamacare are just the GOP lines from 2010. It hasn't shrunk the number of healthcare workers.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Look at private sector jobs since Obamacare passed

Oh yeah the 1980's energy policy where the US established an emergency reserve. Since the 1910's we've given tax cuts to big oil-that's always been the case and that always bill be. I'm not against that-it's just wrong to claim the oil company came up by itself. And yeah the merts do matter-I'd rather give government support to something that won't cause Mississippi to disappear

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 06:24:30 AM »

I guess the announcement will be tomorrow at "Livingston High School":

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Chris-Christie-Announce-Presidential-Announcement-New-Jersey-High-School-309827161.html

but I don't know what time.  Though it looks like he'll be in New Hampshire that evening, so I'm guessing the announcement is early in the day.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 02:44:14 AM »

Looks like the announcement will happen at 11am:

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2015/06/if_youre_not_going_to_christies_presidential_annou.html
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 09:39:18 AM »

Apparently he didn't wait for 11am.  He announced his candidacy first in an email to supporters:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/chris-christie-announces-2016-presidential-campaign/story?id=32125633
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 10:32:15 AM »

each candidate will average about 4min 30sec of face time at the debate?  enough for an opening and closing statement from everyone.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2015, 10:36:17 AM »

each candidate will average about 4min 30sec of face time at the debate?  enough for an opening and closing statement from everyone.
Actually since only ten will be allowed in for each debate we will probably see at least half of the other 6 drop out in august
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2015, 10:50:30 AM »

The GOP had a few 10 person debates in 2007.  The speaking time was often quite uneven, as they tried to focus on the frontrunners, and no one cared about Tommy Thompson, Jim Gilmore, and Duncan Hunter.  Gilmore had a bit of a tantrum at one of them when he didn't get any questions for the first 25 minutes or so.

This time, I think the speaking time might actually be more even, as the 8th and 9th place candidates are more interesting characters like Christie and Cruz.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »

Christie's way past his prime. He's no longer the man who got 60% in his re-election campaign. I'll eat my own words if there's a significant bounce, but for now, he's DOA.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2015, 11:10:06 AM »

Actually since only ten will be allowed in for each debate we will probably see at least half of the other 6 drop out in august

or we could have they draw cards, to split the field into two eights, and have two debates.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2015, 12:00:09 PM »

or we could have they draw cards, to split the field into two eights, and have two debates.
No because they usually focus on the top of the field I don't see a scenario where half the field remains after Iowa
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2015, 12:11:45 PM »

yeah, but there will be what, at least a half-dozen debates before Iowa?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2015, 12:12:38 PM »

He's got a lot of work to do to win me back after the disaster that has been his second term. I like his policies for the most part, I don't like his style of governing.

Still on team Rubio right now.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2015, 02:12:27 PM »

One of his sons looked like he was about to cry
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2015, 02:17:15 PM »

He's got a lot of work to do to win me back after the disaster that has been his second term. I like his policies for the most part, I don't like his style of governing.

Still on team Rubio Kasich right now.

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2015, 02:40:21 PM »

Still on team Rubio Kasich right now.

He's a strong second for me.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2015, 03:17:50 PM »

You really have to be from/near NJ to appreciate how much of a phoney this blob is.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2015, 05:41:32 PM »

Christie is a straight-talker. Jeb is a straight-talker too, to the 70-80% degree of Christie. Jeb has flip-flopped one time too many on immigration to be on Christie's level I'm afraid. Kasich is on Jeb's level. Rand is his own guy, in good and bad (mostly in good except for his crazy tax policy stands). Other than these four guys, all the rest of the field are pretty much politicians as usual I'm afraid. Rubio gets an extra look because he's young, attractive, Hispanic, cause he's not insane on immigrant rethoric, though other than those points, he would probably be a lost case. All the rest remain to the clown car, with Ted Cruz leading that race by far.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2015, 05:50:33 PM »

You really have to be from/near NJ to appreciate how much of a phoney this blob is.

There is an interesting editorial from NJ's biggest paper written by one of their editors....

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/06/after_14_years_of_watching_christie_a_warning_he_l.html
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2015, 08:19:12 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2015, 09:33:50 PM by Horsemask »

My (Maine's) Governor, Paul LePage, is set to endorse Chris Christie tomorrow morning in Portland.

I'm too new to post links, but you can find the full article on the Bangor Daily News website.

http://stateandcapitol.bangordailynews.com/2015/06/30/report-chris-christie-headed-to-portland-wednesday-for-endorsement-event/

Christie was a key ally in LePage's re-election bid last year, and as chairman of the RGA, he oversaw lots of money put into keeping the Blaine House under Republican control.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2015, 11:35:54 PM »

yeah, but there will be what, at least a half-dozen debates before Iowa?

That's the plan, yes.  Five debates in this calendar year, and then one in January, pre-Iowa:

http://www.uspresidentialelectionnews.com/2016-debate-schedule/2016-republican-primary-debate-schedule/

(Then six more debates in the months after Iowa, but it's not obvious that all of those will happen if the race gets largely decided on Super Tuesday.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies