What is the future for social conservatives in U.S. presidential elections? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:26:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What is the future for social conservatives in U.S. presidential elections? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the future for social conservatives in U.S. presidential elections?  (Read 3450 times)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 19, 2015, 01:37:33 PM »
« edited: July 19, 2015, 09:07:23 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

I think that it'll shift to just being about abortion now since as of yesterday gay marriage is a decided issue, though a few holdouts like Hucksterbee and Pope Frothy will continue pushing for a constitutional amendment most will recognize that it's basically a done deal.

The new "Big Three" social issues will be abortion (that one won't end soon, even if there is a partial or full overturning of Roe- which I think is likely in the next 5-10 years), religious liberty, and drugs.

Religious liberty is just being anti-gay, which the GOP have almost nearly done from the 1970's onwards

And Democrats did until 2009.  This issue gained momentum at an alarmingly fast rate, and thankfully it's over.

I didn't even know Obama was opposed to gay marriage until 2012, when he announced he supports it. I really can't believe the Democratic Party was against gay marriage for nearly as long as the Republican Party.

For those of you too young to remember, social acceptance of gays is a very new thing. Public opinion was overwhelmingly hostile towards gay issues of any kind until the late 90s/early 2000s, and "homosexual" was a dirty word until quite recently. Also, while it is true that the Democratic Party was late in getting on board the gay rights bandwagon, I don't recall a Democratic presidential candidate ever making opposition to gay marriage the centerpiece of his campaign, unlike what George W. Bush did in 2004.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies