Greece to Leave the Euro Zone (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:09:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Greece to Leave the Euro Zone (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Greece to Leave the Euro Zone  (Read 9287 times)
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 27, 2015, 10:10:17 PM »

Just another reverberation of the Global Financial Crisis that seems all but forgotten these days.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 07:47:34 PM »

I really hope the US will stand with Greece in all this.  The Greeks need relief, investment, and economic growth.  Not more suffering at the hands of old fashioned European sectarianism.

You would like the US to provide Greece with 200 bln dolars, or so, in cash? Otherwise, what is it that you would like the US to do?
I actually don't think that is that bad of an idea. None of this would be happening if Europe had ponied up a proper bailout in the first place instead of punitive loans.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 07:55:18 PM »

That wouldn't have been a bailout. That would have been unconditional debt forgiveness. And that is a desirable thing because... how, again?
Because a default/Grexit will be way more expensive than debt forgiveness would have been back in 2010. Whatever you think should happen now, Merkel's original strategy has been proven a total disaster in that it only made the crisis worse and cost Europeans much more money.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 06:41:14 PM »

You assume that everyone thinks as rationally as you do about financial decisions when it comes to paying for college.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 10:03:04 PM »

You assume that everyone thinks as rationally as you do about financial decisions when it comes to paying for college.

What do yo mean by "rationally"?

And if they do not "think rationally", this is, basically, an invitation to lock the young people out of college: stop subsidizing all thos cheap loans, and they will go work in McDonalds, as they should.
I know a lot of smart kids that are choosing to go to more expensive private colleges out of state rather than take great deals at decent in state public universities because the private college is ranked higher by US News. I am not taking that route, but it would be easy for me to get into most private colleges, and if my parents cosigned on loans, I could get all the money I would even need to attend school. Of course, I would have considerable difficulty paying it back, but for some, the temptation to go to a more expensive private school is just too much.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies