Greece to Leave the Euro Zone (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:41:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Greece to Leave the Euro Zone (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Greece to Leave the Euro Zone  (Read 9286 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: July 01, 2015, 05:22:10 PM »

the idea for the ECB is to have Greece as an eternally depressed, slave state, and a vehicle for transferring wealth to foreign creditors.  I believe the number is 8 of 9 Euros worth of loan/"aid" to Greece go to foreign creditors.  the idea is to keep this going for eternity.

in this sense Greece's situation is akin to an American's with $200k in 8-11% interest student loans.  they're designed to not be paid back, but to take a cut of your paycheck (including your Social Security check in 40 years -- or even if you get disability payments).

Then why did you get those loans? Your friendly local community college, most certainly, did not charge 50 grand a year.

I wasn't speaking in the first person -- but it is telling that you seek to blame the market-sense and rationality of a 17 or 18 year old before you think of the social structures and situation than makes $50k/year loans to 18 year olds widespread.

17 year olds sign up for loans without talking with their parents?

no, they generally need a "co-signer".  the loan is also immune to bankruptcy protection and collection rates on defaulted loans is close to 90% (compared to a fraction w/credit card debt).

the alternative path for people in the situation is to work a low wage job for eternity.

1) So, you have an adult to take the decision - no issue of a 17-year-old's financial wisdom.

2) Are you saying that the debt is worth it, because without it you are financially worse off? Because it sure seems like that.

3) Are there no schools that charge less than $50 grand a year for tuition during the 4 years? In-state tuition and fees in Rutgers is about $14 grand, and Rutgers, surely, is a decent school. And Stony Brook is $4.5 grand in-state ($12 grand out of state). Don't like any of that? Berkeley is $14 thousand dollars. Live in the South? UNC is $8.5 thousand dollars a year in tuition. UT Austin is about $ 5 thousand a year in-state (or $17 thousand out of state).  Midwest? Wisconsin Madison is $4.5 thousand in state ($12 grand out of state). I was just randomly looking up state schools - no real selection here. And, note, all these are very good universities - I am not talking community colleges (though, why not save on the first two years by going to a cheaper place?). And all that is without scholarships, etc.

Ah, Harvard degree is better value (see point 2)? Ok, fine. But then... what exactly, you say is the problem?

Well, population has been growing faster than those state flagships.  If you go there and pay in-state tuition, fine, but there are zillions of people for whom that just isn't an option.

Taking out large student loans is a risk– a risk that, to be clear, usually pays off, but one which carries with it some serious structural problems.  To wit:
a) the high cost and high debt load associated with college forces people in that situation to put a much heavier weight on money when it comes to choosing careers, and devalue considerations such as work/life balance, what one is actually interested in, what has the best return for society as a whole, etc.  Sure, they may make bank working eighty hours a week on Wall Street, but is that really a "win" if they'd rather teach history or something?
b) through little-to-no-fault of their own, hundreds of thousands of graduates get screwed when they enter the workforce during or shortly before a downturn.  After a long enough stretch of un- or under-employment, these folks end up sh*t creek with little way to get back on track, due to what are frankly mostly random factors.  But they've still got the debt load more appropriate for the lucky ones!
c) even if it taking out those loans don't in fact make sense for some particular situation, 17-year-olds are young and it's pretty damn gross to stick a millstone on the necks of thousands for what has been judged to be the unforgivable crime of youthful over-optimism.

So, yeah, it "makes sense" to take out those loans and it also f***s people hard in ways that deserve policy approaches which aren't just victim-blaming.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 11:49:06 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2015, 01:34:41 PM by traininthedistance »

1. Why are those flagships "not an option"? Because one cannot get in for academic reasons? Ok, fine. CUNY runs open admission. CUNY City College is 3 thousand dollars a year for city residents. And that is the City College - most certainly, you are better off there than in many private schools. And community colleges of some sort exist throughout the country: if you are not very smart (could not get into a decent public four-year college), you will not do any worse by going there than by paying tuition at a private residential college. And if you are smart, you can always transfer from a community college to a better school - saving on the first two years of tuition.

Because there are plenty of academically qualified people who don't get into flagships anymore because population growth has outpaced growth at those schools, and also because admission at good schools tends to be a crapshoot where, say, 90% of applicants would basically be qualified but some much smaller percentage gets in.

(And Simfan is right that City College ain't what it once was, BTW.)

2. If you are planning, say, an academic career (the one that will not pay high sallaries), there are multiple options out there that would allow you not to get that debt. I know: I did it (and I went to both college and to grad school in the US, without being eligible for any in-state tuition, or whatever).

Well, whoop-de-doo for you.  In the real world, for most people, if you're planning on an academic career going to an expensive top-tier undergrad for 4 years is actually really important, and actually really boosts your chances of being able to have such an academic career! That exceptions exist does not change that general calculus.*

3. A 17-year old can choose to go to war. In many countries at the age of 17 you are supposed to choose whether you are going to study chemistry or romance languages for the rest of your life.  In this particular case you, actually, need consent of an adult. I simply do not see what is the problem.

Two wrongs don't make a right.  Being locked into one's future at such a young age is one aspect of the European model I profoundly wish to avoid.  People need the option to escape, to change.

You assume that everyone thinks as rationally as you do about financial decisions when it comes to paying for college.

What do yo mean by "rationally"?

And if they do not "think rationally", this is, basically, an invitation to lock the young people out of college: stop subsidizing all thos cheap loans, and they will go work in McDonalds, as they should.

Okay, wow, that is just sickening and I do not know how to respond.

Anyway, all of the defenses of the status quo you've made here, in addition to callously disregarding the circumstances in which people actually make these decisions, and fall back on lazy victim-blaming, you've failed as of yet to engage with the two most serious points here, that:

a) uniquely among varieties of debt, student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.  I can understand a position that generally says "debts ought to be repaid," but what is the justification for this specially strict treatment vis-a-vis other sorts of debts?
b) the vagaries of the business cycle have screwed zillions of people for whom, in better years, those loans would have paid off instead.

*For the record, and not to get too personal, that is in fact the exact road I went down (going to an expensive school that was particularly well-known for producing PhD students, with an eye towards becoming one myself), though I realized too late that academia was not going to happen for me.  Ergo I very much don't exactly take kindly to the suggestion that I deserve debtor's prison for decisions I made when I was 16/having to change gears.  Thanks.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 12:00:01 PM »

Another thing: if every one in the middle class took ag's advice and only went to cheap state schools (which, BTW, are getting less and less cheap by the year), those expensive private schools would become even more a preserve of the 1% than they already are.  The negative ramifications of that shift for social mobility and society at large are left as an exercise for the reader.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies