Will Obama be remembered in the top 10 of Presidents? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:20:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Obama be remembered in the top 10 of Presidents? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Obama be remembered in the top 10 of Presidents?
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Will Obama be remembered in the top 10 of Presidents?  (Read 12103 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: June 29, 2015, 09:55:40 PM »

John Tyler was widely considered top 10 when he left office

Well, when he left office he was by definition in the top 10, so that doesn't tell us much.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:28:10 PM »

What!? I'm a JQA fanboy as much as the next guy (assuming that guy is Cathcon), but I can't name anything he actually *did* as President.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 02:10:59 PM »

If one considers gay marriage a noteworthy success, how much credit does Obama really deserve? He appointed Sotomeyor, but any Democrat would've appointed a 5th vote justice. It's like giving Ike credit for the Brown school desegregation decision.

Edit: And he appointed Kagen too.

That's a good point. I'm honestly not sure Stevens would have went along with such a ruling. He was, after all, a major advocate for judicial restraint.

"Individual decisions by married persons, concerning the intimacies of their physical relationship, even when not intended to produce offspring, are a form of ‘liberty’ protected by the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment" - John Paul Stevens, Bowers v. Hardwick (dissenting). That's the basic message of Kennedy's opinion, no?

That decision regarded the Texas ban on sodomy, if I'm not mistaken. It's one thing to say that the government has no right to regulate what two consenting adults do in their bedroom, but it's another to say that the government must provide legal recognition to a category of relationships.

Anyway, I don't claim to know how Stevens would have ruled. I'm genuinely wondering.

He was interviewed by NPR and said that the rapid change in public opinion might lead people to "accept the merits of some of my arguments," which to me certainly indicates he'd have ruled in favor.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/04/24/306524864/retired-justice-john-paul-stevens-marijuana-should-be-legal
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies