Need some Advice for a Laptop
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:17:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Need some Advice for a Laptop
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Need some Advice for a Laptop  (Read 794 times)
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2015, 07:01:38 PM »

I am looking to get a new laptop here in the next little bit of time, may be in August could be at Christmas. I really want a laptop where I can play games on it. I have had 2 HP laptops and they have worked rather well but they don't play serious games besides older ones and their cases have broke. So in a nutshell I'm looking to upgrade to a laptop that can handle games, has solid features (ram,processor, etc,) and it would be great to not have cracks on the laptop case. I just can't spend too much.

Anyone know any good websites I can look on or have any recommendations? Would be appreciated Smiley
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 07:23:13 PM »

What's your exact budget, and what games do you play?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 09:32:54 PM »

Price wise the highest I'd like to go is 600. I can't afford to spend much but I'd like something of good quality in that range if it's possible.

Games wise I play sports ones like football and basketball, political games, management games, and epics like the GTA's and Saints Row. Tried Saints Row 4 and 2K 14 on my current laptop but they were way too slow. They installed but they were too slow.

I got a AMD E-300 processor. It's not very good when it comes to games as i have learned by now.

Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 10:51:52 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2015, 10:58:21 PM by Murica! »

Price wise the highest I'd like to go is 600. I can't afford to spend much but I'd like something of good quality in that range if it's possible.

Games wise I play sports ones like football and basketball, political games, management games, and epics like the GTA's and Saints Row. Tried Saints Row 4 and 2K 14 on my current laptop but they were way too slow. They installed but they were too slow.

I got a AMD E-300 processor. It's not very good when it comes to games as i have learned by now.

I'll do some research, but if your willing to go up to some $700 then the Lenovo Y40(http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y40-80/) is extremely solid for the price.

And if you want to stay under budget you should look for HP Pavilions with AMD A8s(which can manage Battlefield 3 at medium and native resolution, not certain about 4 though), I once managed to find a pretty damn good one(Best A8, 6gb of RAM, and a 750gb drive) for about ~$380, not to mention it being new.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 11:11:51 AM »
« Edited: June 29, 2015, 11:13:43 AM by Murica! »

This one is under $600 and more than powerful enough for your needs:
http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ConfigureView?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&catEntryId=889651&quantity=1&color=

I personally recommend sticking to the i5 and the 6gb of RAM , but upgrading the GPU to the 940m and the drive to 1tb.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 12:34:01 PM »

Our Dear Friend has a laptop that isn't used for much.  I'm sure you can get a good deal on it.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 09:05:37 PM »

Woah thanks for your advice 'Murica Wink  I'm hopeful soon I can start prepping for a purchase.

I'm considering heading the custom route now. I'm between a dell and lenovo or asus or whatever it's called. HP's are awesome but they aren't the best games wise and the cases I have had cracked. The one I got now is in bad shape (left side's broke and hanging and the right side's cracked.)

Is the i5 or 7's good for gaming? Seen a lot of them in Dells. I really want one of those but they only offer Alienware for gaming and are high as hell I am not paying $1000 for a laptop. I just want to play games and have a bad-a laptop.

Worst case will be I get a PS3 for gaming
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 10:01:57 PM »

Woah thanks for your advice 'Murica Wink  I'm hopeful soon I can start prepping for a purchase.

I'm considering heading the custom route now. I'm between a dell and lenovo or asus or whatever it's called. HP's are awesome but they aren't the best games wise and the cases I have had cracked. The one I got now is in bad shape (left side's broke and hanging and the right side's cracked.)

Is the i5 or 7's good for gaming? Seen a lot of them in Dells. I really want one of those but they only offer Alienware for gaming and are high as hell I am not paying $1000 for a laptop. I just want to play games and have a bad-a laptop.

No problem, comrade Smiley

I'd personally stay away form Dell unless your going for an XPS ultrabook, they're regularly quite overpriced for the quality of product that you get. Now on the other hand Asus and Lenovo have some great stuff that I really recommend.

The i5 is perfect for your budget and really solid for gaming, I wouldn't recommend an i7 though, it would just be money better spent towards the GPU. Alienware is quite overpriced for what you get. Stay away from it like the plague, regardless of your budget.

I still strongly recommend the Lenovo Y40 and the HP that's above, but in the end it's your choice, so choose wisely.

Also would you by any chance be interested in building a tower? It would be quite a bit more powerful for the price, though you would lose the mobility of a laptop. If your interested PCPartPicker is where you want to go. https://pcpartpicker.com
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 10:40:26 PM »

No problem, comrade Smiley

I'd personally stay away form Dell unless your going for an XPS ultrabook, they're regularly quite overpriced for the quality of product that you get. Now on the other hand Asus and Lenovo have some great stuff that I really recommend.

The i5 is perfect for your budget and really solid for gaming, I wouldn't recommend an i7 though, it would just be money better spent towards the GPU. Alienware is quite overpriced for what you get. Stay away from it like the plague, regardless of your budget.

I still strongly recommend the Lenovo Y40 and the HP that's above, but in the end it's your choice, so choose wisely.

Also would you by any chance be interested in building a tower? It would be quite a bit more powerful for the price, though you would lose the mobility of a laptop. If your interested PCPartPicker is where you want to go. https://pcpartpicker.com

True my folks had a dell and it was mediocre. It messed up due to a simple error which made no sense and my folks had to downgrade it's ram and memory.I still get blamed for it but it was just that lame of a computer plus it had Vista. I loved Dell when I was younger and they were good at one time but they have gotten worse over time. Plus they built a plant here and screwed us a few years later, so - points there.

I'm spoiled by laptops now so unless I get a workstation for when I'm older I prob will never have one again. Found an Asus at Wal Mart for 500, I need to get it's specs again.

I got NBA 2K13 to work on my laptop so that's a +. Need a cooling pad for my laptop due to my fan now I guess.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 10:43:38 PM »

Here you go

http://www.cowboom.com/product/1540232?sdtid=7946711&utm_campaign=LS&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=lw9MynSeamY&siteID=lw9MynSeamY-de4KwfEkTPDXKzSHFMYDLw
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 10:45:36 PM »

Wow that's perfect Cheesy.  Thanks sir!

I'll prob wait until Windows 10 comes out but maybe not. Anyone tried 10 yet or is it hidden until street/sale date?
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 10:48:14 PM »

I think dead0man has? Though it may be under a non-disclosure agreement.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 12:15:13 PM »

http://www.reddit.com/r/suggestalaptop
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 07:01:14 PM »

Anyone got any experiences with cooling pads/fans? I guess I'll get one from Wally World to use until I can ditch the current laptop.

Which is generally better? My fan doesn't work and I ain't paying to fix it so if I can get a pad/fan to keep my laptop running while I play games that would be sweet. Any recommendations for brands?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 08:21:04 PM »

I found these two that I liked:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Targus-Lap-Chill-Mat/14262374

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Thermaltake-Massive23-GT-Laptop-Cooler/21063795

My local store has the top one but I'm kind of liking the bottom better. Anyone tried these two?
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 09:06:16 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2015, 09:33:55 PM by Murica! »

My local store has the top one but I'm kind of liking the bottom better. Anyone tried these two?
I think I have the top one, and it's getting my temps down about 20 degrees.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 10:04:37 PM »

What was your temps before?

I got a program that tells how much it is. I'm in  the 80's right now, in Celsius. It works fine besides when I play games it tends to shut off. I want to prevent that from happening because it gets old.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 10:15:53 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2015, 10:19:27 PM by Murica! »

What was your temps before?

I got a program that tells how much it is. I'm in  the 80's right now, in Celsius. It works fine besides when I play games it tends to shut off. I want to prevent that from happening because it gets old.
It was going up to 105 degrees(The T-junction max, extremely bad for the PC, it also shuts the PC off the second it hits 105) Celsius before it on certain games, now it mostly hovers around 85 on those games and roughly around 70 on the rest with idle temps around 45-55.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »

It's running about 77-80 now, all I have up is chrome.   When I play games that aren't so heavy they do fine but the newer sports games tend to shut off. I can play 2 quarters in NBA 2K13 before it shuts off.

I'm sure when I play those it gets really high. I want to prevent that.

The top one I came close to buying but I'm glad I didn't because it's cheaper online. Bottom one gets good reviews on Amazon hence why I'm considering it. It comes with an extra usb port.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies