Iran Nuclear Deal Saga
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:18:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Iran Nuclear Deal Saga
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Iran Nuclear Deal Saga  (Read 4190 times)
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2015, 02:20:33 PM »

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2015, 02:40:16 PM »

Tbf I also support an arms embargo on Iran, but I'm also in favour of an arms embargo to a great more states including Israel and all of MENA.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2015, 02:48:04 PM »

After 5 years the arms embargo is lifted, and after 8 years a missile embargo is lifted.  I'm really surprised Obama and the Western powers agreed to that.  Obama won't see much support for this deal in Congress.  

This is my main concern as well. This is way too soon I think. Guess Putin and Lavrov pressed pretty hard for this to come through, cause they desperately need the money they can obtain from weapon sales (especially now that Russia is in a deep crisis). Should have been at least a 10-12 year embargo.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2015, 06:07:34 PM »

Is anybody actually naive enough to believe that this deal will hold for any more than 18 months
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2015, 06:30:13 PM »

Is anybody actually naive enough to believe that this deal will hold for any more than 18 months

That's the spirit.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2015, 06:39:04 PM »

That's the spirit.
Is there any reason to think that Iran will follow their agreement?
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2015, 08:05:01 PM »

That's the spirit.

Is there any reason to think they won't?
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2015, 08:11:11 PM »

That's the spirit.

Nothing will stop them, See the Previous North Korean Nuclear agreement
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2015, 08:11:57 PM »

That's the spirit.

This is an attractive deal for Iran.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2015, 09:39:38 PM »

That's the spirit.

Nothing will stop them, See the Previous North Korean Nuclear agreement

The Iranian regime follows a demented ideology, but they aren't demented people, the key difference with NK.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2015, 12:26:40 AM »

Have any Congressional Democrats come out in opposition to this?  How many defections within his own party is Obama likely to get on this issue?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2015, 12:47:41 AM »

President Sanders won't start a war for no good reason.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 07:27:47 PM »

If the deal breaks, it will likely be on our end and not theirs.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2015, 09:14:35 AM »

UN Security Council Unanimously Endorses Iran Deal

Euorpean Union Backs Iran Deal
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2015, 09:18:26 AM »

As expected, it's basically Israel + Republicans vs. the World.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2015, 09:31:08 AM »

Which means that Iran will no longer have major sanctions in the next 5-10 years, regardless of what the United States does. The US sanctions are a drop in the bucket compared to those of Europe, Russia, and China. Only thing that the US keeping sanctions will bring is no inspections.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2015, 10:05:05 AM »

You forgot the Saudis.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2015, 02:30:02 PM »

After 5 years the arms embargo is lifted, and after 8 years a missile embargo is lifted.  I'm really surprised Obama and the Western powers agreed to that.  Obama won't see much support for this deal in Congress.  

This is my main concern as well. This is way too soon I think. Guess Putin and Lavrov pressed pretty hard for this to come through, cause they desperately need the money they can obtain from weapon sales (especially now that Russia is in a deep crisis). Should have been at least a 10-12 year embargo.
Somehow I doubt that the opinion of Putin is taken into great account at the moment in the Western world. The fact is that both the EU and the US have motives of their own to support this agreement and some of them are actually against the interests of Russia (lifting the embargo on oil and gas, most obviously).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2015, 11:46:15 PM »

Somehow I doubt that the opinion of Putin is taken into great account at the moment in the Western world. The fact is that both the EU and the US have motives of their own to support this agreement and some of them are actually against the interests of Russia (lifting the embargo on oil and gas, most obviously).

Putin was part of the negotiation so of course if he insisted on something it had to be taken into account.

With Iran's vote in the UN Security Council, is that evidence the Ayatollah has formally okay'd participation in the deal?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2015, 02:13:25 AM »

While I am still skeptical of this and don't have much confidence in Iran, I heard Obama in a speech today and agreed with him 100%. He said that diplomacy is the most responsible option, and that any option is better than war. Also that the same people who argue vehemently against this deal are the same who rushed us into Iraq. He's right, this is one area where I really respect the president.

I'm glad to see, even if  it turns unsuccessful, an agreement based on negotiations. It's a breath of fresh air.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2015, 09:01:18 AM »

While I am still skeptical of this and don't have much confidence in Iran, I heard Obama in a speech today and agreed with him 100%. He said that diplomacy is the most responsible option, and that any option is better than war.
Clinton said the exact same thing (and a lot more of the same kind of stuff it's actually weird how much of the language is the exact same) about N.Korea....how'd that turn out?  I guess you could argue that N.Korea hasn't nuked anybody yet, but have they exported as much terrorism as Iran has over the last several decades?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2015, 05:03:44 PM »

Putin was part of the negotiation so of course if he insisted on something it had to be taken into account.

With Iran's vote in the UN Security Council, is that evidence the Ayatollah has formally okay'd participation in the deal?
Taking Putin's opinion into account certainly doesn't mean obliging his wishes. Looking at the treaty it's hard to see that Russia benefited more than the US and the EU.

GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2015, 05:13:37 PM »

While I am still skeptical of this and don't have much confidence in Iran, I heard Obama in a speech today and agreed with him 100%. He said that diplomacy is the most responsible option, and that any option is better than war.
Clinton said the exact same thing (and a lot more of the same kind of stuff it's actually weird how much of the language is the exact same) about N.Korea....how'd that turn out?  I guess you could argue that N.Korea hasn't nuked anybody yet, but have they exported as much terrorism as Iran has over the last several decades?
The comparison is misleading, since the agreement with North Korea was non-binding (which also meant that the US was later free to ignore its obligations, which certainly helped the eventual collapse of the treaty) and with few safeguards for its implementation. Also Iran can't ignore sanctions nearly as well as North Korea, nor has it an ally that would back it near unconditionally. If Clinton used nearly the same wording as Obama, then this only shows that he was more dishonest than Obama (which explains a lot about his much greater popularity).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2015, 11:02:11 PM »

I hope you're right.  Are there still some anti-Zionists and/or anti-muricans/west (who are normally against nuclear proliferation....you know, like most people) that WANT Iran to get the bomb?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2015, 11:17:05 PM »

Truth be told, a big part of the reasoning behind the Western support of this agreement is probably to slowly pry Iran away from the Russian orbit.

At the end of the day Iran is the backbone of the Russian alliance system in the Middle East and if we can pry them away then we can neutralize Russian influence in the region to a great extent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies