John Kasich to announce presidential bid July 21
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:01:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  John Kasich to announce presidential bid July 21
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John Kasich to announce presidential bid July 21  (Read 814 times)
ericpolitico
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2015, 11:01:00 PM »

Ohio Gov. John Kasich will jump into the crowded Republican presidential field on July 21 at the student union at his alma mater, The Ohio State University, in Columbus, advisers tell POLITICO.

Kasich, 63, who was overwhelmingly reelected in November, will aim to appear less scripted and guarded than the leading candidates. Advisers say he combines establishment appeal with a conservative record going back to his stint as House Budget Committee chairman, during his 18 years as a congressman from Ohio.

Despite his late start, Kasich will be one of the most closely watched candidates — partly because Ohio is such a crucial presidential state, putting Kasich on many short lists for vice president.

Kasich briefly pursued a presidential bid in the 2000 cycle, but got no traction and dropped out in July 1999, endorsing George W. Bush.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 01:09:23 PM »

Another celebration of Republican mediocrity. News at 11.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 01:31:33 PM »

This is getting kind of ridiculous. At this point they've blown through the record for number of non-gadfly candidates.

Is Kasich going to go after the coveted Jon Huntsman demographic of people who vote in GOP primaries but hate the Tea Party and think Obsma is an okay president?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 02:57:22 PM »

It's easy to forget just how hackish people who post on this site are.  Kasich was a great representative, he's a great governor and he'd be a great POTUS.

Glorious news!
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 04:18:36 PM »

Hopefully for his sake, there are 5 live phone polls between then and August 1.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 04:45:54 PM »

He's possibly the only Republican I'm afraid of at the top of the ticket because I think he bridges the gap between a lot of Republican constituencies, he has both political and media experience, and he's capable of not seeming too hateful/insane.

Thankfully it'll be hard for him to stand out in the massive circus this primary is becoming.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 05:15:39 PM »

He's possibly the only Republican I'm afraid of at the top of the ticket because I think he bridges the gap between a lot of Republican constituencies, he has both political and media experience, and he's capable of not seeming too hateful/insane.

Thankfully it'll be hard for him to stand out in the massive circus this primary is becoming.

I don`t know if it is just me, but I am a bit afraid of a Rubio ticket.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 06:30:32 PM »

We're seriously going to see people winning winner take all primaries with less than 20% of the vote. It's anti-democratic.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 08:02:27 PM »

We're seriously going to see people winning winner take all primaries with less than 20% of the vote. It's anti-democratic.

It'll be worse than the French, that's how bad it is.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 08:26:59 PM »

Unlikely, since probably about 2/3rds of these candidates will have dropped out by Super Tuesday.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 03:47:07 PM »

Hmm, though he isn't taken seriously by the hard-right, he could definitely pose a threat to the Democrats if he runs the right campaign (plus if Jeb crashes n' burns).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies