Erasing the Confederacy -How Far Would you Go?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:40:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Erasing the Confederacy -How Far Would you Go?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Poll
Question: Which of the following do you sanction?
Removing the Confederate flag from public grounds and license plates

Removing Confederate monuments from public grounds

Removing Confederate names from roads, bridges, highways, schools, etc

Getting rid of Confederate History Month

Getting rid of Confederate holidays

Forbidding private homeowners from flying the Confederate flag on their property

Other (please specify, in case I missed anything)

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 277

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Erasing the Confederacy -How Far Would you Go?  (Read 23344 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 12:26:06 PM »

1, 3, 4, & 5. Willing to agree with #2 if it excludes Confederate cemeteries.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 04:04:23 PM »

NOTA
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 05:17:14 PM »

Only the first one. Is option five even necessary? I'm not aware of any Confederate holidays that are also federal holidays...
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 05:37:24 PM »

I'm fine with showing these symbols in ways and forms that don't entail an endorsement. History books and other displays for factual purposes are obviously OK. Flying a flag out of your house is of course very different. Can you imagine a German flying a Nazi flag out of their house?

No, I can't. And that's mostly because the German public is repulsed enough by such a display that they'd give the person a stern talking to, which might or might not end up with the douchebag flying the thing walking away with a black eye. Building anti-racist consciousness is going to make sure that people don't put those flags up; and those that do end up regretting it. I'd rather rely on public opinion than the strong arm of the state myself.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 05:47:44 PM »

Option 5 and part of option 1.  I want the Confederate Flag off of license plates and I don't want it as part of unbalanced historical monuments on government grounds.  But I wouldn't mind it if it were paired with a 35 star Union flag of equal prominence.  That said I don't care that much about the flag to be upset if erasure goes somewhat farther.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2015, 09:12:14 PM »

Everything but prohibiting the flying of the flag at private residencies.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 12:00:17 AM »

Yes definitely.

Removing Confederate monuments from public grounds
I am not sure about this one.

Removing Confederate names from roads, bridges, highways, schools, etc
Seems like a waste of time and money, so no.

Getting rid of Confederate History Month
I didn't even know it existed. I think it is important to remember it and what happened and all, but I think "History Month"s in general are kind of stupid and so I have no objection to getting rid of it and every other "History Month" for that matter.

Getting rid of Confederate holidays
I'm unaware of these holidays. What like General Lee's birthday or something? Are these holidays in some southern cities or states?

Forbidding private homeowners from flying the Confederate flag on their property
Strongly oppose this one. Your property is yours and you have the right to fly whatever flag you want. Fly your confederate flag all you want, but don't complain when your neighbor flies their rainbow flag. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 04:52:26 AM »

I'm fine with showing these symbols in ways and forms that don't entail an endorsement. History books and other displays for factual purposes are obviously OK. Flying a flag out of your house is of course very different. Can you imagine a German flying a Nazi flag out of their house?

No, I can't. And that's mostly because the German public is repulsed enough by such a display that they'd give the person a stern talking to, which might or might not end up with the douchebag flying the thing walking away with a black eye. Building anti-racist consciousness is going to make sure that people don't put those flags up; and those that do end up regretting it. I'd rather rely on public opinion than the strong arm of the state myself.

I would too, but that's not happening in the South anytime soon.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 05:23:46 AM »

1, 3, 5 and maybe 4.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 05:30:22 AM »

all of the above + banning news stations, books, etc from advocating for confederate apologism
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2015, 11:55:11 PM »

-It should be removed from capitol grounds or other places that imply civic legitimacy.  It can have a place at the graves of Confederate soldiers in public cemeteries, and for educational purposes at museums and historical sites.  Stop issuing license plates with the flag but it is not worth it to  attempt to remove those currently issued.

Removing Confederate monuments from public grounds - No.  They have historical and artistic merit.

Removing Confederate names from roads, bridges, highways, schools, etc  - Roads and bridges and the like, no, place-names are not necessarily an endorsement.  A school, quite possibly, depending on the biography of the individual in question. 

Getting rid of Confederate History Month  - No, just don't glorify it or ignore slavery.

Getting rid of Confederate holidays - Usually these are not noticed anyway.  MLK shouldn't have to share a day with them though.

Forbidding private homeowners from flying the Confederate flag on their property  - No way.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 05:20:53 PM »

I don't feel it's a matter of "erasing" the Confederacy. The Civil War and Reconstruction are important eras for understanding how our country ended up the way it did. Public scorn for celebrating the legacy of the CSA is completely appropriate and I'm glad to see the public is adopting it and attempting to shame those who still glorify the Lost Cause, but that is not in any way the same thing as "erasing" the Confederacy.

Put simply, I don't want the government in any way praising the actions of the states that seceded or their military forces, and private individuals and companies that do so won't have my support and I hope others will likewise turn their backs on them. That is not hoping for erasure of the CSA, that's hoping for a more critical examination of what it was and what it stood for.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_geosec.asp
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_texsec.asp
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_missec.asp
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_scarsec.asp

Note that all these documents from 1860-1861 make it perfectly clear what the South was seceding to do: protect slavery from Northern Republicans and abolitionists. The Lost Cause of the Confederacy is one of the most vile causes any man on this continent has ever fought for (Indian Removal might rival it), and why should we celebrate old Bobby Lee's "brilliant" maneuvers and orders at Fredericksburg or Chancellorsville? Why should Lee be celebrated, or Stonewall Jackson, or Braxton Bragg (not only a Confederate, but a loser, and one who has a U. S. military base inexplicably named after him), or Nathan Forrest? Why should we still have cities and counties named after Jefferson Davis?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2015, 11:44:57 AM »

Only the first one. Is option five even necessary? I'm not aware of any Confederate holidays that are also federal holidays...

Some states give MLK and Robert E. Lee double booking.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2015, 01:44:43 PM »

Braxton Bragg (not only a Confederate, but a loser, and one who has a U. S. military base inexplicably named after him)

Perhaps it's a sly joke?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2015, 01:32:16 AM »

No changes are needed (not-racist)
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2015, 08:22:15 PM »

All but six. The Confederacy was a secessionist, slavocratic "nation" that only racists and traitors support, and we should eliminate as much and as soon as possible. That being said, freedom of speech means the right to say whatever you want no matter how offensive it is.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2015, 02:23:35 PM »

Again, "eliminate" or "erase" really are the wrong words. I don't want to erase the memory of the Confederacy, it's important and useful to remember. The problem is nostalgia for the Confederacy, not memory of it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Old times shouldn't be forgotten...but we shouldn't look away from what was going on in the land of cotton. The time of looking away from the horrors of Dixieland are over.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2015, 05:23:26 PM »

The first five. A country whose purpose was to preserve the slave power should not be recognized or honored by the government in any way, although bigots who choose to display confederate symbols are within their 1st Amendment rights.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2015, 01:11:40 AM »

Non Americans seem to have a very different conception of free speech than most Americans do it seems.
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2015, 08:05:00 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2015, 03:44:06 PM by JohnRM »

Other - I would task the government with developing a weather machine that would create sunshine, rainbows, and gumdrop rain showers while simultaneously playing the Barney theme song and sprinkling biodegradable glitter all over the country. Oh, and I would raise taxes on the rich to pay for it.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2015, 11:49:00 AM »

Removing Confederate names from roads, bridges, highways, schools, etc  - Roads and bridges and the like, no, place-names are not necessarily an endorsement.

My impression is that this isn't really true. That is, there are not many places named after people where the significance is not honorific.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2015, 07:48:52 PM »

This, but allow Confederate license plates if the car owner is willing to pay a fee to obtain it from the state. Who are the five voters who want to ban private homeowners from flying a flag? Show yourselves, statists! Tongue

One already has:

Yes, and I stand by it. If you're flying it outside of your house, you're exposing it to public view. Nobody should be forced to see such vicious symbol of hatred and oppression.

We have freedom of speech and expression in this country, and I'm frankly thankful we don't abandon that just principle every time it isn't convenient for someone.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2015, 09:13:45 PM »

Option number 1 is enough, I think.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2015, 04:42:56 PM »

First one I support federally, second, third, and fifth I'll support at state level. I'm hesitant to erase the fifth one, though, as a reminder.

In other words, I stand with Bill Clinton on this issue.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2015, 06:31:34 PM »

Nothing at all. Censoring history will make us forget why we had the Civil War in the first place. We've gone so overboard with censoring the Confederacy's existence that history books are downplaying slavery before and during the Civil War and the Jim Crow laws passed afterwards. If this keeps up, they'll censor that the Civil War and slavery even happened.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies