See things from the other's perspective (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:35:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  See things from the other's perspective (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: See things from the other's perspective  (Read 3023 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: June 29, 2015, 07:58:32 PM »

It's a radical cultural revolution no doubt but what the heck does that have to do with the Confederates? Or can northerners not be socons anymore?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 10:25:43 PM »

It's a radical cultural revolution no doubt but what the heck does that have to do with the Confederates? Or can northerners not be socons anymore?

The Stars and Bars have a significance that goes beyond regional pride or nationalism. The flag is a symbol of opposition to an overbearing government hostile to your way of life. SoCon Yankees would do well to be troubled by the recent trampling of the Confederate flag.

I am trouble much more by the corporate intrusion than by the government one over this. I have no personal desire to ever have a Confederate flag and find the very thought completely alien (see RFayette's post). I also have no problem with the government taking it off public buildings.

I am very troubled by private companies such as Google or Amazon taking down all of their confederate flags. It matters very little who the squashes the freedom of expression; who needs a tyrannical government to block free speech when he has tyrannical corporations subject to the latest whims of boycotting SJWs? Again, I despise the Confederate flag and would never consider flying one or buying one. But that mere fact that I can't buy one is rather Orwellian.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:39:16 PM »

Well, if by mob, we mean folks who may boycott businesses who are associated with causes or comments anathema to "the mob," OK, but socons have made threats to boycott businesses too from time to time. One has a right to boycott business for ideological reasons. This comment of mine refers to 2) and 3) below I think (as well to TJ's comment about Amazon and Google). As to 1), that is a legal issue, that is still in the process of being resolved (there are always folks around ready to sue over perceived rights), and hopefully SCOTUS in due course will protect the act of refusing to making gay themed wedding cakes as a protected act of religious expression. So I don't think 3) is a "mob" issue, it's a legal issue.

1) It is not enough for gay marriage to be legal.  You must force those who disagree with you to specifically perform for you, like by baking your gay wedding cake under penalty of law.  But of course, your gay marriage won't affect those who disagree in any way, right?
2) Brendan Eich, former Mozilla CEO, was pushed out of his job for the crime of donating to the "wrong" side of Prop 8.  And, as far as I know, hasn't found a job since.
3) You can't express your opinion against Mexican immigration.  If you do, Univision and NBC will pull your TV show for not expressing the politically correct view on the subject after agitation from the "progressive" mob.

Don't misunderstand my comment here; I am not saying the government should do anything to force Google and Amazon to sell Confederate flags. You know very well I want to make sure companies have the ability not to sell things against the conscience of the people who run them. I hope I've made that point abundantly clear over the years on here with everything from contraceptives to baking cakes for gay weddings to selling Hannukah trinkets. Tongue I am merely stating my opinion that I do not like Google and Amazon's refusal in this case. I don't believe for a second there is ounce of authenticity to their sudden conversion along the road to Damascus. Legally, of course, there doesn't have to be. Again, I am simply stating my opinion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies