U.S. and Brazil reach agreement on increasing renewable energy production
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:25:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  U.S. and Brazil reach agreement on increasing renewable energy production
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.S. and Brazil reach agreement on increasing renewable energy production  (Read 374 times)
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2015, 02:15:13 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/01/world/americas/us-and-brazil-agree-on-climate-change-actions.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

We got one with China last November, and one with India (big polluter #3) is in the works. Of course, the pledges are not really binding and changes in the political sphere could alter the actual outcomes in 2030, but it's something.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 02:18:32 PM »

Any idea where the wind and solar sources are going to be?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 03:55:30 PM »

This is hopefully leading up to something good in Paris. I'm very optimistic. Let's hope Harper is decapitated by communist Thomas Mulcair and Tony Abbott makes a fool of himself.

Weirdly, the electricity sector of Brazil is mostly hydropower, not fossil fuels - its gas plants account for 10% of electric generation and coal accounts for practically nothing. The focus for Brazil needs to be relying on less destructive renewables (especially as hydropower has some curious emissions of its own. Luckily, Brazil is an over performer at meeting its climate and forestry goals. Focus should be applied to often ignored Indonesia though.

I presume for the former, mainly in the interior and off the east coast; and for the latter across the sun belt? (Although even the most northern areas of the U.S. can add solar capacity, tbh; just not the gigantic heat powered operations).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 05:25:18 PM »

This is hopefully leading up to something good in Paris. I'm very optimistic. Let's hope Harper is decapitated by communist Thomas Mulcair and Tony Abbott makes a fool of himself.

Weirdly, the electricity sector of Brazil is mostly hydropower, not fossil fuels - its gas plants account for 10% of electric generation and coal accounts for practically nothing. The focus for Brazil needs to be relying on less destructive renewables (especially as hydropower has some curious emissions of its own. Luckily, Brazil is an over performer at meeting its climate and forestry goals. Focus should be applied to often ignored Indonesia though.

I presume for the former, mainly in the interior and off the east coast; and for the latter across the sun belt? (Although even the most northern areas of the U.S. can add solar capacity, tbh; just not the gigantic heat powered operations).

I should have specified i was wondering more about Brazil.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 05:41:19 PM »

Ah, got ya. In that case the South and at the Coast for wind. Wind is very good for Brazil, as it complements with the dry season when the dams are running a bit dry.

Solar in such a country is best deployed small scale, in rural areas. That's where I would focus if I ran a developing country's energy department. Allowing every rural village and town to electrify itself with a solar microgrid reduces pressure on the centralised hydropwer grid. The cities are a bit harder, because the existing grid needs to be redesigned if it can accommodate a lot of houses generating its own power.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies