Oklahoma Justices order 10 Commandments Monument Removed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:51:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Oklahoma Justices order 10 Commandments Monument Removed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Oklahoma Justices order 10 Commandments Monument Removed  (Read 3936 times)
CountryClassSF

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 04:33:18 PM »

All it takes is changing one or two words to that, but reading the text, I can see how they came to that ruling. But the problem is I don't think the people there are for this.

From what I read though, someone else paid for the monument (Someone had knocked it down or something and were forced to pay in restitution for vandalism) -- so I don't see how there's tax money going directly to the statue.

What's interesting about Oklahoma is, I believe ALL Supreme Court justices are directly elected.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 07:34:29 PM »

Blaine Amendments (meant to bar government support for religious schools*) were popular when Oklahoma established its Constitution.  Oklahoma's language is broader than most.   

*(Note the public schools at the time were in many cases in effect Protestant schools nonetheless)
CountryClassSF

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 09:17:21 PM »

Did anyone see that creepy satanist on Megyn Kelly? Maybe it's worth removing all religious stuff from the court just to keep that horrific satanic monument away.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 09:25:44 PM »

It's actually not that bad of a ruling.  As one of my friends put it, the goal of Christianity is to see people come to faith in Christ out of free will rather than being told by the government it's the right thing to do.  I was initially upset, but I can see the logic in it.  Plus, if it keeps that satanic monument from being erected, then it's a win-win for Christians when you boil it down.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 09:31:43 PM »

Fine by me.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 09:43:50 PM »

Blaine Amendments (meant to bar government support for religious schools*) were popular when Oklahoma established its Constitution.  Oklahoma's language is broader than most.   

*(Note the public schools at the time were in many cases in effect Protestant schools nonetheless)

Yeah.  Blaine Amendments were intended to keep government from supporting evil Popery, so it always amuses me when they hit a wider target than their advocates thought they would.

Good. It has them ordered wrong. It combines the first and second into one commandment and splits the tenth into two commandments.

Yeah, that's bad considering they view themselves to be such good Christians. Don't even know what the 10 commandments are or where to go to double check?

The problem is that the Bible itself doesn't specify how to split up the text into ten commandments, so there are multiple views on the subject.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 09:59:58 PM »

How long has this statue (not the original statue) been up there?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 10:38:08 AM »

She doesn't have a chance at success but Governor Fallin ain't no political dummy........pandering to her Jokelahoma constituents is good politics.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2015, 03:22:17 PM »

Good decision, but this whole debate seems kind of meaningless tbh.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2015, 01:55:19 AM »

Absolutely awful.  Another judicial activist attack, that monument wasn't hurting anyone.

As a non-Christian, I take offense to breaches of Church and State, and giving favoritism to one religion. Of course, nobody would be complaining if this were some excerpt of Sharia law.

American law is based in the Judeo-Christian worldview and is there for historic reasons.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2015, 03:41:12 AM »

Absolutely awful.  Another judicial activist attack, that monument wasn't hurting anyone.

As a non-Christian, I take offense to breaches of Church and State, and giving favoritism to one religion. Of course, nobody would be complaining if this were some excerpt of Sharia law.

American law is based in the Judeo-Christian worldview and is there for historic reasons.

"The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." - President Adams.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2015, 03:52:08 AM »

That would be a remarkable feat of foresight considering that the concept of a unified 'Judeo-Christian' tradition postdates World War II.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2015, 02:25:56 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2015, 02:31:38 PM by The Mikado »

Good. It has them ordered wrong anyway. It combines the first and second into one commandment and splits the tenth into two commandments.

Now that you mention it...isn't that the Catholic ordering of the Ten Commandments? It seems very out of place in Oklahoma.

Which of the ten commandments do they find particularly offensive?

Adultery is legal, as is "worshiping other gods" and "using the LORD's name in vain." Also it's not illegal to disrespect your parents.

Edit: Also, as mentioned above, coveting is basically bedrock to the entire US economy.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2015, 02:38:16 PM »

Why ruffle feathers by putting it up?

Fallacy alert.

If Christians want to waste political capital putting up a statue they can be my guest. Means they spend less time passing terrible legislation with effects in the actual world.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2015, 04:46:24 PM »

Good. It has them ordered wrong anyway. It combines the first and second into one commandment and splits the tenth into two commandments.

Now that you mention it...isn't that the Catholic ordering of the Ten Commandments? It seems very out of place in Oklahoma.

It separates out coveting your neighbors' house into a different commandment, whereas the Catholic version changes the word ordering to separate out coveting your neighbors wife.   I haven't seen this before.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2015, 06:21:14 PM »

It separates out coveting your neighbors' house into a different commandment, whereas the Catholic version changes the word ordering to separate out coveting your neighbors wife.   I haven't seen this before.
It uses Luther's ordering which follows Exodus instead of Deuteronomy as Augustine did when he split the tenth amendment into two, but also includes in the first commandment the preamble and the command against graven images which Luther left out.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2015, 02:21:22 AM »

I don't really understand why people bother to get upset? I mean it's just a silly statue, right? Why bother ruffling feathers with little symbolic crap like taking down a religious monument?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2015, 04:52:40 PM »

The Oklahoma Supreme Court declined to re-consider the case.  I am actually okay with this as it keeps the Satanic statue out of our state.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies