Southron posters: Have you ever owned any Confederate flag mechandise?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:48:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Southron posters: Have you ever owned any Confederate flag mechandise?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Southron posters: Have you ever owned any Confederate flag mechandise?  (Read 2236 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 08:52:44 AM »

I can't think of any at the moment, but I do like to collect stuff.  Maybe I'll get me one sometime.

We just got back from a 2 and a half week vacation.  Two days in transit to florida, five days at disney world, a day in Orlando, a week in Mexico, then two days drive back home.  I'm pretty sure I didn't see any more in Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, or Virginia, than I usually see in PA.

I do see more on this side of Mason and Dixon's line than on the other.  I always know I'm back in Pennsylvania when I start seeing all those CSA battle flags on the front bumper of pickup trucks where a plate ought to be.  I suppose it's because PA only gives us one license plate instead of two, like Maryland does.  Folks want to put something there.  Jesus-related messages are popular, but not quite as popular as the rebel flag.

I do think most people on this forum overreact to the rebel flag.  I rarely see such overreactions in the real world, like at truck stops or in bars.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 09:41:09 AM »

I can't think of any at the moment, but I do like to collect stuff.  Maybe I'll get me one sometime.

We just got back from a 2 and a half week vacation.  Two days in transit to florida, five days at disney world, a day in Orlando, a week in Mexico, then two days drive back home.  I'm pretty sure I didn't see any more in Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, or Virginia, than I usually see in PA.

I do see more on this side of Mason and Dixon's line than on the other.  I always know I'm back in Pennsylvania when I start seeing all those CSA battle flags on the front bumper of pickup trucks where a plate ought to be.  I suppose it's because PA only gives us one license plate instead of two, like Maryland does.  Folks want to put something there.  Jesus-related messages are popular, but not quite as popular as the rebel flag.

I do think most people on this forum overreact to the rebel flag.  I rarely see such overreactions in the real world, like at truck stops or in bars.

The PA "T" is called "Alabama north" for a reason, Angus.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2015, 10:19:08 AM »

haha.  yes, I always assume they're headed to the central part of the state, but you never know.  Civil War memorabilia is really big in PA, in all parts, really.  Especially in Gettysburg, but everywhere has a big statue on the town square honoring the Union dead.  Lots of re-inactments too. 

Here in Lancaster County, most folks either have faux German license plates on the front, especially drivers of VW Jetta wagons (which is even weirder than having a CSA battle flag, imho), or they have a dealership logo, or they have the Forrest Gump smiley face.  I actually have nothing on mine.  I bought the car new and told them not to put anything on it and not even to screw into the bumper, so it's smooth in front like a baby's buttocks.  I'm gonna try to keep it that way.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2015, 11:34:57 AM »

Not southern obviously, but I may still have a Dukes of Hazard dinkie toy somewhere.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2015, 11:01:12 PM »

I was traveling this weekend to see family, so yesterday I was at the toll booth getting ready to get off the PA turnpike and onto I-79 when I found an SUV in front of me. The guy had a bumper sticker on the back window that read, "The US Constitution: Frustrating liberals since 1789!" Below it was a rebel flag sticker. Michigan plate. Needless to say, I don't think he understands much about history (wonder how he would have liked being a slave?), or whatever he thinks he knows was filtered through some nutcase, and he probably doesn't know much about the Confederacy. The Confederacy is a twisted, idealized conservative paradise, I guess.

The funny thing is, unless you equate racism or the simple characteristic of being from the South with conservatism (as I'm sure several red avatars do), there wasn't much conservative about the CSA.  It certainly wasn't run with small government principles, it certainly wasn't very fiscally conservative and it only respected the Constitution when it felt it was on its side...

Because that's certainly the universally accepted definition of conservatism
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2015, 12:35:44 PM »

I just saw a pickup on the road here with a huge rebel flag waving from the back.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2015, 01:03:29 PM »

I own confederate currency in my collection, but aside from that I am not a fan of displaying symbols of treason.
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2015, 01:17:49 PM »

Do books about the Civil War count? Otherwise, no.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies