See things from the other's perspective
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:07:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  See things from the other's perspective
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: See things from the other's perspective  (Read 2955 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 11:57:24 AM »

If I were in that position I would wonder why the rest of the world just does not understand 'my' culture and 'my' values.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 07:28:01 PM »

While there are indeed instances where one party is clearly wrong about some issue. And certain issues which don't even deserve consideration. A lot of cases are subjective. I consider true open-mindedness, not the b.s. term people throw around carelessly like many others do the word "love", to be exactly that. The ability to see things from the other person's point of view, to give the opposing position some thought. It doesn't mean you accept the view or even think it is good. It just means you attempt to understand what others are thinking. To not dismiss something without at least considering it.

It is entirely possible for a pro-confederate anti-gay marriage conservative to be more open minded than a far left liberal who is willing to embrace all kinds of alternative lifestyles. It isn't the conclusion but rather how you arrive there. Although in most cases that conservative probably wont be open minded, it is a possibility. In my experience, both sides tend to be pretty close minded, but I have met open minded people too.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 07:38:52 PM »

The problem with the white South is that it has no clue that it has no affinity to any other part of the world -- not even in the United States. No other part of the world tries to imitate it. It's unique... but for all the wrong reasons.

I can imagine people trying to study the culture of other peoples of European origin... including of course other parts of the United States.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 04:07:29 AM »

Clearly White heterosexual males are the real victims.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 07:39:16 PM »

Well, if by mob, we mean folks who may boycott businesses who are associated with causes or comments anathema to "the mob," OK, but socons have made threats to boycott businesses too from time to time. One has a right to boycott business for ideological reasons. This comment of mine refers to 2) and 3) below I think (as well to TJ's comment about Amazon and Google). As to 1), that is a legal issue, that is still in the process of being resolved (there are always folks around ready to sue over perceived rights), and hopefully SCOTUS in due course will protect the act of refusing to making gay themed wedding cakes as a protected act of religious expression. So I don't think 3) is a "mob" issue, it's a legal issue.

1) It is not enough for gay marriage to be legal.  You must force those who disagree with you to specifically perform for you, like by baking your gay wedding cake under penalty of law.  But of course, your gay marriage won't affect those who disagree in any way, right?
2) Brendan Eich, former Mozilla CEO, was pushed out of his job for the crime of donating to the "wrong" side of Prop 8.  And, as far as I know, hasn't found a job since.
3) You can't express your opinion against Mexican immigration.  If you do, Univision and NBC will pull your TV show for not expressing the politically correct view on the subject after agitation from the "progressive" mob.

Don't misunderstand my comment here; I am not saying the government should do anything to force Google and Amazon to sell Confederate flags. You know very well I want to make sure companies have the ability not to sell things against the conscience of the people who run them. I hope I've made that point abundantly clear over the years on here with everything from contraceptives to baking cakes for gay weddings to selling Hannukah trinkets. Tongue I am merely stating my opinion that I do not like Google and Amazon's refusal in this case. I don't believe for a second there is ounce of authenticity to their sudden conversion along the road to Damascus. Legally, of course, there doesn't have to be. Again, I am simply stating my opinion.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 11:16:06 PM »

If you're a grown man, and not a whining baby, you should be able to handle this kind of stuff. 

People historically have not responded well to being dispossessed of their culture. It's not an issue of maturity.

When you're culture conflicts with the core values of the country you're living in, its time to re-examine your belief system.

Or perhaps re-examine what truly are the core values of your country, vs. what's just cultural window-dressing.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 12:06:40 AM »

First world problems.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 09:53:43 AM »

If you're a grown man, and not a whining baby, you should be able to handle this kind of stuff.  

People historically have not responded well to being dispossessed of their culture. It's not an issue of maturity.

When you're culture conflicts with the core values of the country you're living in, its time to re-examine your belief system.

That goes for people here and around the world. If you want to live in a Non-Western Authoritarian state there are plenty of lovely options.

if u dont liek this contree y dont u go liv in norf korea lol
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 10:39:54 AM »

Well, if by mob, we mean folks who may boycott businesses who are associated with causes or comments anathema to "the mob," OK, but socons have made threats to boycott businesses too from time to time. One has a right to boycott business for ideological reasons. This comment of mine refers to 2) and 3) below I think (as well to TJ's comment about Amazon and Google). As to 1), that is a legal issue, that is still in the process of being resolved (there are always folks around ready to sue over perceived rights), and hopefully SCOTUS in due course will protect the act of refusing to making gay themed wedding cakes as a protected act of religious expression. So I don't think 3) is a "mob" issue, it's a legal issue.

1) It is not enough for gay marriage to be legal.  You must force those who disagree with you to specifically perform for you, like by baking your gay wedding cake under penalty of law.  But of course, your gay marriage won't affect those who disagree in any way, right?
2) Brendan Eich, former Mozilla CEO, was pushed out of his job for the crime of donating to the "wrong" side of Prop 8.  And, as far as I know, hasn't found a job since.
3) You can't express your opinion against Mexican immigration.  If you do, Univision and NBC will pull your TV show for not expressing the politically correct view on the subject after agitation from the "progressive" mob.

Don't misunderstand my comment here; I am not saying the government should do anything to force Google and Amazon to sell Confederate flags. You know very well I want to make sure companies have the ability not to sell things against the conscience of the people who run them. I hope I've made that point abundantly clear over the years on here with everything from contraceptives to baking cakes for gay weddings to selling Hannukah trinkets. Tongue I am merely stating my opinion that I do not like Google and Amazon's refusal in this case. I don't believe for a second there is ounce of authenticity to their sudden conversion along the road to Damascus. Legally, of course, there doesn't have to be. Again, I am simply stating my opinion.

Fair enough.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 10:46:50 AM »

3) You can't express your opinion against Mexican immigration.  If you do, Univision and NBC will pull your TV show for not expressing the politically correct view on the subject after agitation from the "progressive" mob.

How dare NBC fire him for suggesting that most Mexican immigrants were thieves and rapists! Sorry that's not politically correct anymore Sad
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 12:31:12 PM »

It matters very little who the squashes the freedom of expression; who needs a tyrannical government to block free speech when he has tyrannical corporations subject to the latest whims of boycotting SJWs? Again, I despise the Confederate flag and would never consider flying one or buying one. But that mere fact that I can't buy one is rather Orwellian.

Look at this pile of word vomit.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 12:56:46 PM »

It matters very little who the squashes the freedom of expression; who needs a tyrannical government to block free speech when he has tyrannical corporations subject to the latest whims of boycotting SJWs? Again, I despise the Confederate flag and would never consider flying one or buying one. But that mere fact that I can't buy one is rather Orwellian.

He's right though. It's his freedom and right to do so if he or she so chooses.

Look, if a conservative wants to become a vegetarian, they'll say, "I won't eat meat". A liberal who wants to become a vegetarian will say, "I WANT MEAT BANNED."

You CANNOT take away OTHER PEOPLES RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS. Period.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 01:10:07 PM »

Look, if a conservative wants to become a vegetarian, they'll say, "I won't eat meat". A liberal who wants to become a vegetarian will say, "I WANT MEAT BANNED."

So the free market is a good thing until it forces corporations to listen to liberals?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2015, 01:15:24 PM »

In India the conservatives ban meat. In the U.S. however, the banning of meat is a very fringe position, which not even PETA thinks is possible.

Perhaps you should really open your mind and look at things from a less binary "FREEDOM" vs "NO FREEDOM" position?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2015, 02:58:18 PM »

Am I the only one who finds social conservatives being concerned about the "loss of freedom" hilarious?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies