Tennessee Hardware Store puts up "no gays allowed" sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:21:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Tennessee Hardware Store puts up "no gays allowed" sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Tennessee Hardware Store puts up "no gays allowed" sign  (Read 3197 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 05:58:51 PM »

Freedom of association is a two way street. People are free to boycott this store, and I am sure the public outrage and typical hysterical reaction of the media will be more than enough to take down this sign.

Are you being serious?
Partly. I don't want to see the Civil Rights Act repealed, though in an ideal world, people should be free to discriminate in their personal lives if they choose to live life like an ass-wipe. CNN will talk about this story for a week, people will shame the owner, and the sign will come down. It's a pretty simple chain of events.

You could also legalize punching your customers in the face under the same theory. 

As for freedom of association, that's not under threat here.  This person opened a store that caters to anyone who walks by.  So, he chose to associate with anyone who walks by, aka the general public.   Running a store is not "your personal life" at all.  It's public. 
I walk by the local country club a lot. But I can't golf there whenever I want. The owners of the country club "associate with the general public." What is the difference? They both are private, for profit establishments and should be allowed to cater to whomever they want.

The country club owner is clear from the beginning that the business does not intend to serve 100% of the public, and defines clear requirements for membership that can be met regardless of sexuality.

The Hardware store owner serves everyone for x years, then suddenly adopts a new requirement for service that certain people cannot meet because of how they were born, as a clear overreaction to a court action that he disagreed with yet had absolutely nothing to do with his business. If he had been asked to come to a wedding and perform a service, or if he had been asked to make something that had an explicit "gay" theme, that's one thing and I think there are legitimate issues of religious freedom to address there. But that's not what is happening here.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 06:12:23 PM »

Indeed - Sanchez is dead wrong here. A private institution like a country club or even a university, makes clear there are qualifications for access and inclusion. A store, whilst being privately owned, still has no expectation of denying access based on any qualifier.

The store is being actively discriminatory and is now throwing up "muh religins freedumz" to get the usual suspects to back him.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 06:20:37 PM »

Are people under the impression that gays are a protected class under the 1964 Civil Rights Act? They are not. You can legally turn the gays away all day long if you choose to do so. Also, the racial segregation that existed in the lunch counters of the 1950s existed because of local and state laws. Stores would have been breaking the law not to segregate their facilities. The free market had no role to play. How businesses would have acted without those laws is mere speculation.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 06:25:05 PM »

Are people under the impression that gays are a protected class under the 1964 Civil Rights Act? They are not. You can legally turn the gays away all day long if you choose to do so. Also, the racial segregation that existed in the lunch counters of the 1950s existed because of local and state laws. Stores would have been breaking the law not to segregate their facilities. The free market had no role to play. How businesses would have acted without those laws is mere speculation.

Of course, it's not about whether they legally can turn customers away, considering you have marriage equality nation-wide but still have a majority of stares where you can still be fired for being thought of as gay... But whether it's "right"
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 06:32:25 PM »

Within days, these owners will be millionaires just like sh**tty pizzeria from Indiana. I wish I owned a business and could scam right-wingers out of their money like this too.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 06:36:43 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2015, 06:39:49 PM by shua »

Within days, these owners will be millionaires just like sh**tty pizzeria from Indiana. I wish I owned a business and could scam right-wingers out of their money like this too.

The pizzeria got support because it closed down for a while after they were threatened with violence for responding to a hypothetical question asked by a reporter about catering a gay wedding.  They did not go out of their way to antagonize or make gays excluded.  That was not like this.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 06:48:38 PM »

Freedom of association is a two way street. People are free to boycott this store, and I am sure the public outrage and typical hysterical reaction of the media will be more than enough to take down this sign.

Are you being serious?
Partly. I don't want to see the Civil Rights Act repealed, though in an ideal world, people should be free to discriminate in their personal lives if they choose to live life like an ass-wipe. CNN will talk about this story for a week, people will shame the owner, and the sign will come down. It's a pretty simple chain of events.

You could also legalize punching your customers in the face under the same theory. 

As for freedom of association, that's not under threat here.  This person opened a store that caters to anyone who walks by.  So, he chose to associate with anyone who walks by, aka the general public.   Running a store is not "your personal life" at all.  It's public. 
I walk by the local country club a lot. But I can't golf there whenever I want. The owners of the country club "associate with the general public." What is the difference? They both are private, for profit establishments and should be allowed to cater to whomever they want.

A country club is a private club.  A hardware store is not a private club. 
And why can't this idiot in TN operate his business as a private club? Who gets to decide what is private and what isn't?

Indeed - Sanchez is dead wrong here. A private institution like a country club or even a university, makes clear there are qualifications for access and inclusion. A store, whilst being privately owned, still has no expectation of denying access based on any qualifier.

The store is being actively discriminatory and is now throwing up "muh religins freedumz" to get the usual suspects to back him.

Are you being serious?

The country club owner is clear from the beginning that the business does not intend to serve 100% of the public, and defines clear requirements for membership that can be met regardless of sexuality.

The Hardware store owner serves everyone for x years, then suddenly adopts a new requirement for service that certain people cannot meet because of how they were born, as a clear overreaction to a court action that he disagreed with yet had absolutely nothing to do with his business. If he had been asked to come to a wedding and perform a service, or if he had been asked to make something that had an explicit "gay" theme, that's one thing and I think there are legitimate issues of religious freedom to address there. But that's not what is happening here.
Have you ever seen a sign at McDonalds saying "we reserve the right to refuse service?" They have a choice to refuse service for whatever reason. When they do refuse service, it happens after the customer enters the store expecting service.

Sure, the point of those signs are to prevent unruly customers from remaining in the establishment after being asked to leave, but the point is they exist to give the owner options. And in this situation, the owner is using those options.

Of course, this isn't an issue of religious freedom. Its an issue of economic freedom. People have the right to be assholes. And people don't have the right to not get their feelings hurt.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 06:50:37 PM »

The pizzeria got support because it closed down for a while after they were threatened with violence for responding to a hypothetical question asked by a reporter about catering a gay wedding.  They did not go out of their way to antagonize or make gays excluded.  That was not like this.

It's exactly like this. Some two-bit pizzeria realized all they had to do to become millionaires was say they don't like gays, and lo and behold, the money rolls in. It was obvious from the beginning that whatever local backlash they received would be more than made up for by the gullible Right.

We'll see if this hardware shop goes the same way, but I have no doubt the owner is trying for that.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 07:06:02 PM »

It's exactly like this. Some two-bit pizzeria realized all they had to do to become millionaires was say they don't like gays, and lo and behold, the money rolls in. It was obvious from the beginning that whatever local backlash they received would be more than made up for by the gullible Right.

We'll see if this hardware shop goes the same way, but I have no doubt the owner is trying for that.

That's a creative interpretation you got there.  Too bad it didn't make it onto the Snopes page about what really happened.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2015, 07:22:38 PM »

Well this is horrible. As Shua said this is not the same as the pizzaria in Indiana. He is of course, perfectly within his rights to put up a sign, but if it isn't illegal in Tennessee for him to follow through with it, it should be, unless of course there is some utterly absurd explanation here that escapes my attention.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2015, 07:34:12 PM »

Can someone tell me why one would care what the sexual orientation of your customers is? Money is money. Seems like this is more an attempt to get attention than anything else.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 07:40:34 PM »

I supported the Gofundme for the pizzeria.  I won't be supporting this guy.  There is a difference. You cannot compare the two.  Not wanting to participate in a ceremony is far different from saying "I don't serve gays."
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2015, 07:41:26 PM »

Can someone tell me why one would care what the sexual orientation of your customers is? Money is money. Seems like this is more an attempt to get attention than anything else.

In general you wouldn't. Certainly for selling hardware you wouldn't. It mainly comes up in the news when it has something to do with a gay wedding ceremony itself.

Yes, this owner is probably an attention whore, and a bad one at that.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2015, 07:46:29 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2015, 07:48:05 PM by Harry »

That's a creative interpretation you got there.  Too bad it didn't make it onto the Snopes page about what really happened.

Obviously I can't prove the owners knew exactly what they were doing, but it didn't take a genius to know once the story broke that they would soon be set for life. And sure enough, they were.

It's equally obvious that this hayseed in Tennessee is trying to get a big payday with the same strategy, and he probably will.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 07:47:00 PM »

Can someone tell me why one would care what the sexual orientation of your customers is?

Some people think that selling goods, food, etc. to gays is a violation of their religious faith and requiring them to engage in a blasphemous act.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2015, 07:48:08 PM »

Can someone tell me why one would care what the sexual orientation of your customers is?

Some people think that selling goods, food, etc. to gays is a violation of their religious faith and requiring them to engage in a blasphemous act.

Very few people
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2015, 08:01:45 PM »

Of course. The owner is hoping to make a killing of this and become the next conservative hero, ala Joe the Plumber. He never cared about gay customers before the SCOTUS ruling, I guarantee you that.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2015, 08:02:07 PM »

Obviously I can't prove the owners knew exactly what they were doing, but it didn't take a genius to know once the story broke that they would soon be set for life. And sure enough, they were.

It's equally obvious that this hayseed in Tennessee is trying to get a big payday with the same strategy, and he probably will.

So nice of the reporter to show up and start asking them questions about this issue. The death threats must have all been part of the plan too.  How deliciously devious.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2015, 08:49:22 PM »

Who will be the first Republican candidate to make a pilgrimage to the store? Looking on a map, this is a very isolated spot.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2015, 09:51:19 PM »

There is simply no comparison between some wacko in a hardware store in Tennessee to centuries of systemic discrimination and dehumanization of blacks. Sorry.

Family rejection by a white family of the mulatto children resulting from the white sons 'sowing their wild oats' among slave women.

On the other side -- literal beatings of both.

Matthew Shepard = Emmett Till
CountryClassSF

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2015, 09:57:26 PM »

Family rejection by a white family of the mulatto children resulting from the white sons 'sowing their wild oats' among slave women.

On the other side -- literal beatings of both.

Matthew Shepard = Emmett Till

Matthew Shepard wasn't killed because he was gay. However, the killers used his sexuality to lure him to rob him. It was awful.   They should have been given the death penalty for what they did.

But the point I'm trying to make is, that this  nut in Tennessee, is not Memories Pizza. Its not Baronelle.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2015, 10:02:28 PM »

Good to see the idiot owner adopting a somewhat more reasonable policy.  I'm still confused on how the selling of hardware has anything to do with homosexuality. Maybe they rent equipment that could be used at a celebration? Even that's a stretch unless they decorate such equipment.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2015, 10:10:42 PM »

Are you being serious?

A country club is a private club.  A hardware store is not a private club. 
And why can't this idiot in TN operate his business as a private club? Who gets to decide what is private and what isn't?

Are you being serious?

Have you ever seen a sign at McDonalds saying "we reserve the right to refuse service?" They have a choice to refuse service for whatever reason. When they do refuse service, it happens after the customer enters the store expecting service.

Sure, the point of those signs are to prevent unruly customers from remaining in the establishment after being asked to leave, but the point is they exist to give the owner options. And in this situation, the owner is using those options.

Of course, this isn't an issue of religious freedom. Its an issue of economic freedom. People have the right to be assholes. And people don't have the right to not get their feelings hurt.

I try to avoid McDonalds - as you pointed out, the right to refuse service is based almost entirely on mitigating liability. A bar has a right, as well as a responsibility, to refuse service to the already intoxicated. A restaurant has the right to refuse you service if it feels you are a threat to the comfort of fellow customers.  A cab has the right to refuse to pick you up etc etc. But this is overt discrimination towards a particular group, even before entering a store. If the sign said "no blacks" or "no Jews", I mean, you're at least consistent in the mindlessness of your ideology, but if the owner said, as the owner of several lunch counters in the South said, that integration was an affront to his religious beliefs, would the same knee-jerks be defending him?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2015, 08:09:00 AM »

Good to see the idiot owner adopting a somewhat more reasonable policy.  I'm still confused on how the selling of hardware has anything to do with homosexuality.

Doing business with someone can be considered endorsing their lifestyle choice, and also expose other customers with traditional values to a lifestyle choice they disagree with and which conflicts with their faith. We have to respect the freedom of conscience of the other customers of the store and members of the community who do not with to be implicated in sin nor have their children unexpectedly encounter people who are gay and get the wrong message about what's ok and not ok. What he's doing is legal, as others have said, and we have to consider this a legitimate expression of his religious faith (whatever that happens to be.)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2015, 11:27:23 AM »

Private business owner has the right to refuse service to anyone he wants, just like everyone else has a right to boycott him for being a narrow minded douche.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies