Tennessee Hardware Store puts up "no gays allowed" sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:02:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Tennessee Hardware Store puts up "no gays allowed" sign
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Tennessee Hardware Store puts up "no gays allowed" sign  (Read 3198 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2015, 11:52:44 AM »

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2015/06/tenn-hardware-store-owner-displays-no-gays-allowed-sign/

Even CCSF should see this as a clear overreaction to the SCOTUS ruling.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 11:56:34 AM »

inb4 shua tries to tell us that this guy clearly has no problem with gay people whatsoever
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 12:12:36 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2015, 01:13:51 PM by Torie »

In other news, gay = sin religious folks are reading up on the law books, to find legal ways to discriminate against the sinners. I hate to break it to them, but reclassifying the lawn maintenance folks or whatever as "ministers" isn't going to fool those Godless, secular humanist homo-agendized Courts.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 12:18:40 PM »

inb4 shua tries to tell us that this guy clearly has no problem with gay people whatsoever

Actually I was planning on making a lame joke about either The Village People or North Caucasian Tartars.  But instead I'll sit here and wonder why you are incapable of making rather crucial distinctions.   This guy is not saying he won't make them a wedding ring out of electrical wire.  He does not want gays in his store at all.  I suppose unless he has well-developed gaydar the ban involves self-deportation.  The cops are not going to enforce this ban thankfully, and hopefully the only business he gets in the future is from complete flamers.  
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 12:22:27 PM »

So ltqbnation is the new CNN?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 12:33:30 PM »

Freedom of association is a two way street. People are free to boycott this store, and I am sure the public outrage and typical hysterical reaction of the media will be more than enough to take down this sign.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 12:57:50 PM »

His freedom of religion protects this expression of his spirituality and faith. You can't ask him to take down this sign, it's like asking an orthodox Jew to feed bacon to his baby.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 01:04:06 PM »

I do - but I don't like people like this guy being grouped in w/ Memories Pizza, bakeries etc.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 01:05:22 PM »

Freedom of association is a two way street. People are free to boycott this store, and I am sure the public outrage and typical hysterical reaction of the media will be more than enough to take down this sign.

See I agree with this - but the public never will.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 01:10:55 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2015, 01:14:37 PM by Torie »

His freedom of religion protects this expression of his spirituality and faith. You can't ask him to take down this sign, it's like asking an orthodox Jew to feed bacon to his baby.

His religion proscribes selling bailing wire to gays? It is not really even speech in the sense that it is really a message that he is discriminating illegally. I suppose that if I went into his store anyway, wearing a rainbow flag shirt holding hands with Dan, and he said hi Torie, and sold me the bailing wire, not carrying out the policy on the sign, that might make an interesting case as to whether that converts the sign to mere speech. He would be legally safer to change the sign to "I don't like gays" or something.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 01:12:39 PM »

Are you being serious?
CountryClassSF

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 01:40:17 PM »

The free market always makes the choice. If a business owner is doing something objectionable, he will no longer get business.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 02:01:11 PM »

The free market always makes the choice. If a business owner is doing something objectionable, he will no longer get business.

That's why all those segregated lunch counters never survived on the free market, right? Oh, wait. Also, how does this shop keeper believe he can tell who that's shopping at his store is gay? Will he question any two men who come up to the counter together?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 02:09:42 PM »

That's why all those segregated lunch counters never survived on the free market, right? Oh, wait. Also, how does this shop keeper believe he can tell who that's shopping at his store is gay? Will he question any two men who come up to the counter together?

No he can't and he won't.  He's making his statement.  But how can you deny that people who find this sign objectionable, like me, would avoid shopping there?  It's just common sense.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 02:16:39 PM »

There is simply no comparison between some wacko in a hardware store in Tennessee to centuries of systemic discrimination and dehumanization of blacks. Sorry.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 02:17:34 PM »

lmao
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 02:34:01 PM »

lmao

The truth is funny?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 02:36:14 PM »

There is no comparison between this person and someone like Baronelle Stutzman, who treats her gay customers and employees as human beings but does not believe in using her talents as directly part of a ceremony she believes is sacriligeous.  This guy is more like the person who sued her, as in both cases they treat people as means rather than as ends (full human beings in their complexity) in order to make a statement and advance their political agenda.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 02:43:59 PM »

Per TheBlaze:

But on Tuesday, not long after word of the “No Gays Allowed” sign started spreading, Amyx replaced it with a sign that reads, “We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who would violate our rights of freedom of speech and freedom of religion.”

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 03:50:09 PM »

Are you being serious?
Partly. I don't want to see the Civil Rights Act repealed, though in an ideal world, people should be free to discriminate in their personal lives if they choose to live life like an ass-wipe. CNN will talk about this story for a week, people will shame the owner, and the sign will come down. It's a pretty simple chain of events.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 03:54:48 PM »

Sign has already come down and been replaced with a religious freedom sign.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2015, 04:32:31 PM »

Are you being serious?
Partly. I don't want to see the Civil Rights Act repealed, though in an ideal world, people should be free to discriminate in their personal lives if they choose to live life like an ass-wipe. CNN will talk about this story for a week, people will shame the owner, and the sign will come down. It's a pretty simple chain of events.

You could also legalize punching your customers in the face under the same theory. 

As for freedom of association, that's not under threat here.  This person opened a store that caters to anyone who walks by.  So, he chose to associate with anyone who walks by, aka the general public.   Running a store is not "your personal life" at all.  It's public. 
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 05:28:07 PM »

It's kind of amazing that gays can get married in all 50 states but in over half of them they still can be discriminated against for service, housing, and jobs.  I suspect that within a few years they will have the same protections afforded by gender, race, religion and disability.

Of course as I have noted before, I still find it ironic that religious people are protected under the law when religion is clearly a choice, but LGBT aren't.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 05:48:13 PM »

Are you being serious?

You could also legalize punching your customers in the face under the same theory. 

As for freedom of association, that's not under threat here.  This person opened a store that caters to anyone who walks by.  So, he chose to associate with anyone who walks by, aka the general public.   Running a store is not "your personal life" at all.  It's public. 
I walk by the local country club a lot. But I can't golf there whenever I want. The owners of the country club "associate with the general public." What is the difference? They both are private, for profit establishments and should be allowed to cater to whomever they want.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 05:56:39 PM »

Are you being serious?

I walk by the local country club a lot. But I can't golf there whenever I want. The owners of the country club "associate with the general public." What is the difference? They both are private, for profit establishments and should be allowed to cater to whomever they want.

A country club is a private club.  A hardware store is not a private club. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies