Is Trump top tier/front-runner?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:55:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Trump top tier/front-runner?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is Trump top tier/front-runner?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Is Trump top tier/front-runner?  (Read 1835 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2015, 06:08:08 PM »

Since he got into the race there have been nine polls conducted an in every single one of them Trump is at 10% or more and in most of them he is in 2nd place. So is he now in the top tier? (along with Bush and Walker and maybe Rubio if you still think he is in the top tier). Or is this just a short term flash that will quickly fade?

National Polls since Trump got in...
YouGov    11%  1st(tied)   
FOX   11%   2nd
CNN    12%   2nd

State Polls...
Quin-IA   10% 2nd(tied)   
Suff-NH   11%  2nd   
CNN-NH   11% 2nd   
PPP-KY   12% 3rd   
Farleigh-NJ   11% 3rd   
PPP-MI   14% 2nd(tied)
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 06:10:17 PM »

In my mind, he's in the same league as Carson.  They both poll well, but I doubt they have much of a chance at winning due to various factors.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 06:19:28 PM »

It's all name recognition.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 06:20:28 PM »

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 06:24:39 PM »

Probably No.

The guy has high name recognition, is not a "washington insider", and has the appearance of having some success in business. That gets him 10, 11%, which is enough to be near the top at this early stage.

However, he already has underwater favorability everywhere, and has no political experience whatsoever. He's already lost some business contracts because of what he's said on the trail. He'll get into the Fox Debate next month, make a complete fool of himself, and return to the bottom of the polls. He'll be out by October.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 06:27:57 PM »

Remember when people were asking this question about Herman Cain in 2012?

Trump is a joke candidate and will fizzle out. It's not about name recognition, it's about who's acceptable to the largest percentage of the base when candidates start dropping out. That's Rubio, Kasich, Bush, Walker in that order.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 06:29:47 PM »

Trump is a joke candidate and will fizzle out. It's not about name recognition, it's about who's acceptable to the largest percentage of the base when candidates start dropping out. That's Rubio, Kasich, Bush, Walker in that order.

Since when does the base prefer Bush over Walker?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 06:30:37 PM »

Don't underestimate him.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 06:31:40 PM »

Since when does the base prefer Bush over Walker?

As Walker pushes to the extreme to try to compete with Cruz for the Tea Party vote, I imagine a lot of the big money guys are getting itchy. They know going into the election with a hard-edged social conservative is a bad idea.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 06:35:03 PM »

I also doubt that Trump will ever hit 25% in polls.
Publius
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 07:14:35 PM »

In addition to the name recognition perceived business acumen factors, some of his 10% probably supports him just to be ironic.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 07:59:49 PM »

Trump will fizzle quickly.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 08:28:53 PM »

Underestimate Trump at your own peril.  There is always room for someone from the nativist, protectionist Buchanan wing of the Republican Party in the primaries.  He'll probably end up doing better than many expect - though still fall far away from actually winning.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 08:36:23 PM »

Underestimate Trump at your own peril.  There is always room for someone from the nativist, protectionist Buchanan wing of the Republican Party in the primaries.  He'll probably end up doing better than many expect - though still fall far away from actually winning.

I agree with this.  Trump can be a player if he wants to be.  He could get nominated if America decides to take him seriously, and they just may. 
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 09:58:35 PM »

Trump isn't a serious candidate...yet.

If he's polling like this three months from now, I will have to change my opinion. For now, though, Trump is basically a reservoir for undecided GOP voters.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 10:04:58 PM »

He isn't a candidate at all according to the FEC.....
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 10:05:45 PM »

If he's polling like this three months from now, I will have to change my opinion. For now, though, Trump is basically a reservoir for undecided GOP voters.

What do you mean by "polling like this" though?  He's at ~10% in both Iowa and NH, which is good enough for second place in both states.  Eventually, some of the second/third tier candidates will drop off and support will crystalize around a few frontrunners, and 10% will no longer be good enough for second place.  So sure, I wouldn't be surprised if he stays at 10% for a long time, and even grows his support somewhat from there.  He's got plenty of $ from his personal fortune to throw at ad spending in the early states if he wants to.

But 10% won't be good enough for 2nd place by year's end, in all likelihood.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 10:09:37 PM »

Should also note some names from GOP primaries past: Pat Robertson, Pat Buchanan, Steve Forbes, Herman Cain….

All of them either won some primaries or were leading in the polls in one or more early primary states for a while.  But none of them were ever going to win the nomination.  Outsider candidates without "conventional" experience don't win the GOP presidential nomination (at least not since Ike, if you want to count that).  Why would Trump of all people (who tends to lead the polls in the "would not vote for under any circumstances) break that pattern?  He won't.  So he might be "top tier" in that he could get a decent % of the vote and impact the race, but he's not top tier in terms of likelihood to win the nomination.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 11:42:22 PM »

You dont need to be a potential winner to be a 'front runner,' especially this year. My point on making this thread is that it seems Republican a good chunk of voters are taking him seriously. This isn't name recognition, he was polling in 9th place before he announced and they knew who he was then too. There is a nativist element that love him just like they loved Buchannan and others before him.

And the real world is taking him seriously, notably NBC, Univision, Macys and others.  Even the media is now starting to take him seriously. The question is, when will his fellow GOP candidates start to take him seriously?  

Cain may have been a joke but when he surged his fellow GOPers pounced, mocking his 999 plan (rightfully) and of course the media pounced (resulting in Uz beki beki beki stan, etc.).

I suspect it will be Chris Christie who goes after Trump but I still feel Bush is missing an opportunity.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 11:50:06 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2015, 11:52:07 PM by Mr. Morden »

You dont need to be a potential winner to be a 'front runner,' especially this year.

It depends on your definition of "frontrunner".  If frontrunner is defined as being ahead in the likelihood of winning the nomination, then by definition you need to be a potential winner.  But people mean different things when they say "frontrunner".

Like I said before, I would distinguish between potential nominees on the hand and not potential nominees who nonetheless will get enough support to potentially affect the outcome on the second hand and not potential nominees who will be irrelevant on the third hand.  (Yes, I'm a Martian so I have three hands.)

Trump isn't a potential nominee, but he might be relevant enough to affect the outcome.  On the other hand (a fourth hand?), he might not.  Too early to tell.
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 12:52:44 AM »

He's a joke candidate who will most likely be toast after New Hampshire.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 04:02:02 AM »

For now yes, I wouldn't underestimate him though, he can do some serious damage if he makes it to the debates not to mention he has the money to go all out against any candidate he chooses, although I believe he is just running to inflate his ego, I wouldn't underestimate his abilities either.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 11:41:49 AM »

Well Michelle Bachmann was "top-tier" in Iowa in 2011, so....
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 02:22:53 PM »

You're wrong. Some scandal will come out, or debates will reveal him to be even more of a moron than we already know.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 02:40:38 PM »

I'm hoping that, once it becomes abundantly clear to Donald that he will not win the GOP nomination, he will throw his hat into the general election as an independent.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies