Are You in Favor of Polygamous Marriage?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:25:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are You in Favor of Polygamous Marriage?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Are you opposed or in favor of polygamous groups of people being able to get married?
In Favor (D)

In Favor (R)

In Favor (I/O)

Opposed (D)

Opposed (R)

Opposed (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: Are You in Favor of Polygamous Marriage?  (Read 2489 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2015, 04:48:58 PM »

Yes, there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of a polyamorous marriage.

No, not at all, and if it ever comes to it then I don't think I would support the concept/institution of marriage.

You realize that this is the exact same thing conservatives said about gay marriage when it began to gain traction, correct? (ie that we should abolish marriage instead of legalize gay marriage)

Except that SSM and polygamy are two very different things and two very different institutions. The former is the extension of a right, the latter is the collection of human beings for a harem.

Now, if a person wants to do a threesome, foursome, fivesome, I don't care, but it should not be given legal status. 
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2015, 08:29:04 PM »

No, not at all, and if it ever comes to it then I don't think I would support the concept/institution of marriage.

You realize that this is the exact same thing conservatives said about gay marriage when it began to gain traction, correct? (ie that we should abolish marriage instead of legalize gay marriage)

Except that SSM and polygamy are two very different things and two very different institutions. The former is the extension of a right, the latter is the collection of human beings for a harem.

Now, if a person wants to do a threesome, foursome, fivesome, I don't care, but it should not be given legal status. 

Gay marriage was a huge redefinition for an institution to support a family to an institution for love or harmony. If three or more people are in love, than its hard to deny. Keep in mind polygamy is and probably should be more than just a bunch of women with separate relationships with one man. It can be multiple men, and people who all simultaneously love each other.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2015, 04:25:10 AM »

Gay marriage was a huge redefinition for an institution to support a family to an institution for love or harmony. If three or more people are in love, than its hard to deny. Keep in mind polygamy is and probably should be more than just a bunch of women with separate relationships with one man. It can be multiple men, and people who all simultaneously love each other.

Yes, but in practice we live in a patriarchal world; and thus polygynous relationships would be far more common than polyandry.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2015, 01:28:57 AM »

One man. One woman. Nothing else holds legal or moral merit.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2015, 01:38:22 AM »

One man. One woman. Nothing else holds legal or moral merit.

Throwing "legal" into your bullsh**t religious arguments doesn't make them accurate or acceptable.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2015, 07:04:32 PM »

Like others in this thread, I see nothing morally wrong with polyamorous relationships. However the idealism of legalizing polygamous marriages in an inherently patriarchal system is dubious at best. As others have pointed out, legalizing polygamous marriages will lead to polgyny in almost every circumstance.

Until such a point at which gender roles have been thoroughly dismantled in our society, I'm opposed.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2015, 08:06:36 PM »

Do you guys have any idea how adverse of an effect polygamy has on the stress, drug use, crime, and all different kinds abuse of those involved? The "secular interest" in banning polygamy was the primary reason the SCOTUS upheld those bans in the 80s.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »

I obviously have the same concerns about polygamy being primarily utilized to the benefit of men, and there are a lot of logistical issues with it, but when it comes to the issue itself I can't really come up with a good inherent objection. Those negative aspects may very well happen, but to me that's just an argument from consequence that doesn't really attack the actual issue. Perhaps I'm a LOGICBOT3000.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2015, 08:18:50 PM »

No.  Marriage is between two people. Polygamy, incest, [b]bestiality, and pedophilia[/b] should always remain illegal and anyone practicing them should be arrested.

You're grouping four things together that have nothing to do with each other.
I'm grouping together four things that are not marriage.
So Seth and Abraham in the Bible weren't married?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2015, 09:16:28 PM »

Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2015, 09:55:59 PM »

No.  Marriage is between two people. Polygamy, incest, [b]bestiality, and pedophilia[/b] should always remain illegal and anyone practicing them should be arrested.

Of course not. Seth lived hundreds of years before Abraham. Tongue

But seriously, the Bible never says that Sarah was Abraham's sister, and I believe in the theory of evolution as well, so Seth did not necessarily marry his sister.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2015, 10:16:38 PM »

But seriously, the Bible never says that Sarah was Abraham's sister, and I believe in the theory of evolution as well, so Seth did not necessarily marry his sister.
Genesis 20:12 states quite clearly that Sarah is Abraham's half-sister.

For that matter Jacob also failed the rules in Leviticus 18 by marrying two sisters, tho one might not consider that incest by the modern definition.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2015, 10:25:40 PM »

For that matter Jacob also failed the rules in Leviticus 18 by marrying two sisters, tho one might not consider that incest by the modern definition.
I took that as Abraham lying to protect himself, and he gives the reasons in Genesis 12:12.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2015, 10:30:34 PM »

I took that as Abraham lying to protect himself, and he gives the reasons in Genesis 12:12.

When Abraham comes clean, he uses the excuse that he didn't technically lie because she was his sister, he just omitted that she was also his wife.

Seriously, you are a troll. Go away.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies