Are You in Favor of Polygamous Marriage? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:24:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are You in Favor of Polygamous Marriage? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are you opposed or in favor of polygamous groups of people being able to get married?
In Favor (D)

In Favor (R)

In Favor (I/O)

Opposed (D)

Opposed (R)

Opposed (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: Are You in Favor of Polygamous Marriage?  (Read 2478 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: July 02, 2015, 10:30:37 AM »

This is a toughie, both for legal finickity reasons - inheritance, taxation etc and (perhaps more nebulously) for moral reasons. Polygamy, normally, leads to higher rates of polygyny than the other way round. That leads to bad news for both men (higher intrasexual competition and more lonely unsatisfied losers is never a good thing for societal stability) and women, who are further locked in what is ultimately a patriarchal system. I'd much rather tear down the legal aspects of marriage, and make it a purely symbolic union; while simultaneously ending the cultural roots of patriarchal systems, so that polygamy wouldn't lead to an inevitably imbalanced affair.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 06:54:46 PM »

Yes(I/O), though I'd rather marriage be abolished.

You think people who want to get married shouldn't be able to?...  If you want to be a really neat rebel or you just never find anyone to marry and want to be a loner, just be one; leave everyone else alone.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 04:25:10 AM »

Yes, there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea of a polyamorous marriage.

No, not at all, and if it ever comes to it then I don't think I would support the concept/institution of marriage.

You realize that this is the exact same thing conservatives said about gay marriage when it began to gain traction, correct? (ie that we should abolish marriage instead of legalize gay marriage)

Except that SSM and polygamy are two very different things and two very different institutions. The former is the extension of a right, the latter is the collection of human beings for a harem.

Now, if a person wants to do a threesome, foursome, fivesome, I don't care, but it should not be given legal status. 

Gay marriage was a huge redefinition for an institution to support a family to an institution for love or harmony. If three or more people are in love, than its hard to deny. Keep in mind polygamy is and probably should be more than just a bunch of women with separate relationships with one man. It can be multiple men, and people who all simultaneously love each other.

Yes, but in practice we live in a patriarchal world; and thus polygynous relationships would be far more common than polyandry.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies