Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:41:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Author Topic: Current status of SSM in the holdout states (MAP)  (Read 22296 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2015, 01:04:27 PM »
« edited: July 02, 2015, 01:47:31 PM by RG Griff »

This includes KS & MO, since those states had inconsistencies from county to county for several months prior to the ruling.

This map would have been a lot more interesting had I started it even just a couple of days ago. Louisiana, for instance, has went from red to orange to yellow to green over that same time period (it will be green officially today).

Missouri (several), Alabama (2), Kentucky (2) and Nebraska (1) each have at least one county that is still resisting the issuance of same-sex marriage licenses. Alabama also has resistance from the Supreme Court Justice, but it is largely ceremonial at this point. I debated whether to color AL yellow or orange.

Tennessee had some initial issues in 7 counties or so, but 5 of those counties were technical/in-office issues unrelated to direct objection. The 2 counties in which there has been objections have since been straightened out.

Mississippi was in the same boat as LA in terms of not enforcing it, but has since came around. There was one county clerk in MS that resigned out of protest. I do not consider resignations to be obstruction, as noted below.

Arkansas has one county clerk currently who is "waiting on word from Above" as to whether she'll issue a SSM license; no one has applied yet in her county. I consider this to be an issue.

Texas has state obstruction in the form of the AG stating that county clerks can "opt-out" based on their religious beliefs and allow someone else in the office to perform the ceremony, but this isn't always possible given the huge number of counties. I consider this effectively to be state opposition and obstruction.

Kansas is in the process of "reviewing procedures" at the Department of Revenue and the DMV, and currently is not allowing married same-sex couples to change their last names on driver's licenses or file taxes jointly.

Georgia, Michigan, North Dakota, Ohio and South Dakota had all of their counties comply with the law from Day 1, with state governments also complying in the same capacity.

(As a side-note: I think it's pretty impressive that Georgia in particular pulled this off without issue from the first day, considering it is very much like the rest of the Deep South outside of the urban areas and has 159 counties.)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 01:13:18 PM »

I'm actually surprised at Campbell County cheerfully accepting it.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »

Kansas should be orange as the state government is still refusing to recognize the issued licenses as valid.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 01:32:15 PM »

Kansas should be orange as the state government is still refusing to recognize the issued licenses as valid.

It's a grey area, but the licenses are being issued and as best I can tell, their validity is not being questioned. What is the current bugaboo is that driver license name changes and tax return filings are still in limbo because they're "assessing the situation". I'll consider changing it to orange, however.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 01:35:50 PM »

It's a grey area, but the licenses are being issued and as best I can tell, their validity is not being questioned. What is the current bugaboo is that driver license name changes and tax return filings are still in limbo because they're "assessing the situation". I'll consider changing it to orange, however.

I concur with Wulfric. Besides, it'll make the map more interestiing. Tongue
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 02:29:44 PM »

Arkansas has one county clerk currently who is "waiting on word from Above" as to whether she'll issue a SSM license; no one has applied yet in her county. I consider this to be an issue.

I really hope she's referring to her supervisor and not the one and only G oh double D
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 02:59:27 PM »

LOL Kansas, Texas and Alabama.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 03:28:35 PM »

Glad South Dakota is shaded in dark green. 
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 06:47:21 PM »

Any new changes need to be made?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 07:23:43 AM »

The single county in NE that isn't issuing licenses has 1500 people in it and only issues ~3 marriage licenses a year.  And it's just one lady (probably representative of the area, but still).
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 02:53:51 PM »

Out of curiosity, what's your justification for putting LA under the "No issues" green shade?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 04:37:40 PM »

Out of curiosity, what's your justification for putting LA under the "No issues" green shade?

It is now "no issues". The Governor and Attorney infamously resisted SSM before giving in. Maybe they came to realize how silly their behavior was and how pointless their resistance to SSM looks silly.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 08:14:25 PM »

I was honestly surprised our idiot AG here in MI didn't try and go the nullification route. With him, it's been one right-wing crusade after another, and I just hoped we didn't go the Alabama route.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 08:38:37 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2015, 08:40:15 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

This shows more states with problems than your map.

GA, KS, LA, and MI are the only states all good. SD may or may not have 1 problematic county. AL, AR, KY, MS, MO, NE, ND, OH, TN, and TX all have issues.

http://ballotpedia.org/Local_government_responses_to_Obergefell_v._Hodges#tab=Michigan
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 01:15:47 AM »

I'm glad there's resistance.

I really hope she's referring to her supervisor and not the one and only G oh double D

I hope she's referring to the One and Only God.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 01:40:12 AM »

I was honestly surprised our idiot AG here in MI didn't try and go the nullification route.

Probably happened because Snyder didn't want to go that route.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 04:45:16 AM »

I was honestly surprised our idiot AG here in MI didn't try and go the nullification route. With him, it's been one right-wing crusade after another, and I just hoped we didn't go the Alabama route.

Michigan isn't Alabama.

The Koch syndicate owns the Michigan Snake Legislature, and it recognizes that resistance to same-sex marriage is grossly unpopular in Michigan. The last thing that the Republican-dominated State Legislature wanted to do was to strengthen the Democratic coalition with the addition of militant homosexuals to minorities and organized labor to the detriment of the power of the Michigan Republican Party.

Republican control of Michigan state politics depends upon gerrymandering, and at some point a gerrymander intended to ensure that a minority gets entrenched power becomes a losing proposition. Turn Michigan into a D+5 or D+6 state, and most Republicans in R+2 to R+4 seats get tossed. That happened in California. 
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 08:07:05 PM »

?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 09:04:11 PM »

GA, KS, LA, MI, NE, OH, SD, and TN are all good. ND might have 1 holdout county.  AL, AR, KY, MS, MO, and TX still have holdout counties. AL has by far the worst percentage. I wonder which state will be last?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 09:14:53 PM »

An example of how overhyped the remaining "resistance" is. When push comes to shove, most county governments don't have the time or the resources to waste on a frivolous legal battle that they'll 100% for certain lose.

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/07/06/gay-couple-sues-hood-county-clerk-over-marriage-li/

As for which state will be "last" to eliminate all holdouts, I don't think it will really be possible to determine in the immediate future. Texas has 254 counties. In some of the backwoods, sparsely populated ones, it may be years before any openly gay couples try to get a marriage license, so the county clerks there will remain a question mark until put to the test.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 09:18:41 PM »

An example of how overhyped the remaining "resistance" is. When push comes to shove, most county governments don't have the time or the resources to waste on a frivolous legal battle that they'll 100% for certain lose.

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/07/06/gay-couple-sues-hood-county-clerk-over-marriage-li/

As for which state will be "last" to eliminate all holdouts, I don't think it will really be possible to determine in the immediate future. Texas has 254 counties. In some of the backwoods, sparsely populated ones, it may be years before any openly gay couples try to get a marriage license, so the county clerks there will remain a question mark until put to the test.

There are 85 confirmed counties in 6 states, and only 24 unconfirmed counties. I guess we can ridicule the last confirmed county forever unless they get replaced with another county.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2015, 10:45:10 PM »

It's down to the 4 last states. 44 holdouts plus 10 unconfirmed counties in AL, AR, KY, and TX.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 01:53:49 AM »

?

No I mean the One whose coming back on the White Horse with.... I think Isaiah 66 explains it much better. That would be Jesus.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2015, 11:38:49 AM »

It's down to the 4 last states. 44 holdouts plus 10 unconfirmed counties in AL, AR, KY, and TX.
Source/Map?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 11:42:49 AM »

i mean considering god is a lesbian, i don't think that would have at all the effect you're hoping for.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies